$175 Class D amp--120 wpc

parodielin

Re: $175 Class D amp--120 wpc
« Reply #1140 on: 10 Apr 2010, 04:16 pm »
The power module seems to have four connectors from the eBay picture.  Does it come with instructions on what connect to what?  Thanks!

The one listed has pre-built fuse holder but you have to purchase 6A fuse for it.

EDIT: Please do not buy the binding post that I listed they donot have the washers to prevent contact with the case.  I will update that post with the ones that I purchase shortly.

wushuliu

« Reply #1141 on: 10 Apr 2010, 05:43 pm »
The one listed has pre-built fuse holder but you have to purchase 6A fuse for it.

EDIT: Please do not buy the binding post that I listed they donot have the washers to prevent contact with the case.  I will update that post with the ones that I purchase shortly.

http://cgi.ebay.com/20-Pcs-GOLD-RCA-CONNECTOR-FEMALE-CHASSIS-SOCKET-CRADLE_W0QQitemZ320510873543QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4a9fefcfc7

Just an FYI, I've bought cheap RCAs like those recently and some of the holes were so tight I broke off the center pin to one of my (expensive) interconnect trying to pull them out, so you may want to test them with some cheap stuff first (for the tight ones I just pushed in and out repeatedly until the hole loosened).

wushuliu

« Reply #1142 on: 10 Apr 2010, 05:44 pm »
The power module seems to have four connectors from the eBay picture.  Does it come with instructions on what connect to what?  Thanks!

The manuals are on the classdaudio website.

atroder

« Reply #1143 on: 10 Apr 2010, 06:43 pm »
Does anyone know if the Super D amps have soft-start circuitry built in? When the amp is powered on, this helps prevent the speakers from popping. Or do you just leave your amp powered on all the time?

steve k

« Reply #1144 on: 10 Apr 2010, 08:15 pm »
From the manual, all amps have :
"Click and pop Noise Reduction
Over Temperature Protection
Over/Under Voltage Protectioin
Over/Under Current Proection
MOSFET DC Protection"

So the answer is yes, no clicks or pops in your speakers at turn on.
steve k

parodielin

« Reply #1145 on: 10 Apr 2010, 08:22 pm »
Sorry, I meant the power switch module bought from the eBay.  There are four connects from the picture and I was wondering what goes where...

The manuals are on the classdaudio website.

lowtech

« Reply #1146 on: 10 Apr 2010, 08:29 pm »
Soft-start has nothing to do with pops or ticks.  It has to do with limiting the current that spikes when the amplifier is turned on before the filter caps have had a chance to charge.  This feature would not be part of the amplifier module; rather, it would be a circuit that is part of the power supply.  This is a non-issue unless you're running several channels of amplification off the same power supply/switch.

shadowlight

« Reply #1147 on: 10 Apr 2010, 09:56 pm »
Sorry, I meant the power switch module bought from the eBay.  There are four connects from the picture and I was wondering what goes where...

Use the two outside tabs.  I have the red cable going from the transformer to the outside most left one and the black to the outside most  right one.  Take a look at the picture on page 21 (http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=76400.400)

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #1148 on: 10 Apr 2010, 09:57 pm »
I've been kind of busy and just checked back in here.  Thanks for the replies guys!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #1149 on: 11 Apr 2010, 05:54 pm »
Here are some pics of my XLR configured Super D amp.  I've got some real work to do so I need to stop for the day.  I'll get back to it middle of this week. 

jtsnead

« Reply #1150 on: 11 Apr 2010, 06:49 pm »
nice work jtwrace, looking forward to doing mine

Couple of questions:

Do you think I could use Paul Speltz speaker wire to do the
leads to the binding posts?

Did you use solid core wire for the inputs?

Do I need to pick up stand offs?

I think the link you gave for the power switch was the round one
from Rat Shack correct, also it mounts on the bottom of the cabinet?

Do you think it would be better to use balanced inputs with single
ended to balance adaptors on my single ended cable?

What size AC fuse do I need?

Sorry for all the questions, when I get my amp the instructions probally
will answer all these questions!

Close up pic of the vents shows that the finish on the case looks real nice!

Cheers,
JT Snead

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #1151 on: 11 Apr 2010, 06:56 pm »
nice work jtwrace, looking forward to doing mine

Couple of questions:

Do you think I could use Paul Speltz speaker wire to do the
leads to the binding posts?
as long as the wire gauge will fit into the amp board connector. 

Did you use solid core wire for the inputs?
no
Do I need to pick up stand offs?
they come with the package from Class D

I think the link you gave for the power switch was the round one
from Rat Shack correct, also it mounts on the bottom of the cabinet?
Yes, it goes right in (20 mm hole) and you can pick it up locally usually.  If not, purchase in the store and they will ship it to you for free. 

Do you think it would be better to use balanced inputs with single
ended to balance adaptors on my single ended cable?
no.  If your system is single ended, wire it up as such. 

What size AC fuse do I need?
That's a question for Tom. 

Sorry for all the questions, when I get my amp the instructions probally
will answer all these questions!

Close up pic of the vents shows that the finish on the case looks real nice!

Cheers,
JT Snead

:thumb:  I think you're going to be very pleased.  I know I am.  Be sure to post pics when you get it done.  The great thing is once you have everything this kit can be built in this case in a couple of hours if you have a basic idea.  No drilling, filing, sanding....... :D

jtsnead

« Reply #1152 on: 11 Apr 2010, 07:00 pm »
Yes it does look simple enough
Thanks

Nick77

« Reply #1153 on: 11 Apr 2010, 08:04 pm »
The new input reciever that Tom is using on the SuperD benifits the single ended users also.

Tom told me that a 6amp slow blow is ample.

parodielin

« Reply #1154 on: 12 Apr 2010, 06:42 pm »
I got the CDA254 today. I ordered last Friday and Tom shipped Saturday - very happy with the customer service!

My first impression is that the Transformer is HEAVY.  It weights 7 lbs and is heavier than my laptop. Geez, you can never tell the whole story from pictures.

I've read most wiring instruction and just when I feel I know how to wire.  The sheet included in the package suprised me a little bit.  It said "Do NOT Use CT on Power Supply".  I thought the tappered blue and green wire go to the CT on the power supply but the picture asks me to wire it somewhere (AC-N and AC-L).  The printed paper is different from the one on Tom's website.  My transformer is AN-3332.

Also it says - "Do NOT use GND on Power Supply!".  It only asks me to connect V+ to Amp + and V- to Amp -.  I saw most pictures connect GND to Amp GND as well.   My Amp module is CDA2092X2TB.

Don't want to hook power on before these resolved.  Which version is correct?

[EDIT] Tom said it's possible that I received the wrong wiring diagram.  The online version is correct - much relieved.. ;)

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #1155 on: 12 Apr 2010, 07:00 pm »
follow the sheet that Tom sent with your amp. 

parodielin

« Reply #1156 on: 12 Apr 2010, 07:13 pm »
follow the sheet that Tom sent with your amp.

FYI, Tom said to follow the one over the website.  I also double-checked with him.  Certainly don't want to burn anything. ;)

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #1157 on: 12 Apr 2010, 07:14 pm »
 :scratch:

Nick77

« Reply #1158 on: 12 Apr 2010, 08:12 pm »
FYI, Tom said to follow the one over the website.  I also double-checked with him.  Certainly don't want to burn anything. ;)

If you have a fuse installed it will prevent any damage in the event of a miswire.

parodielin

« Reply #1159 on: 12 Apr 2010, 09:46 pm »
So I wired and fired it up (The printed diagram isn't correct and the online one is correct).  It is indeed a higher end amplifier than my HK 635.  I need more time to give a better impression.  I picked up a few things that I did not have before.  The sound stage is better and there is something magical in the mid section that transform the listening experience.  I cannot find a word for it, "liquid" perhaps? For $198, wow...

I used both HK 635 and Y1 DAC as preamps to listen to CDs and MP3s.  Before I was very happy with HK635, I wouldn't say the improvement is night and day.  HK is still a great product and this amp is better.  Throw in the price, IMO, it's a keeper and no brainer if I have to recommend someone an amp. 

Now, off to build a case for it!  Very happy!  Thanks Tom for great service and product!  Thanks people here discussing this product!