$175 Class D amp--120 wpc

HT cOz

Re: $175 Class D amp--120 wpc
« Reply #940 on: 23 Mar 2010, 04:06 pm »
Has anyone considered going off the grid with the Class D Battery power supply?

TrungT

« Reply #941 on: 23 Mar 2010, 06:00 pm »
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=76400.480
And awesome with Dodd battery buffer
 :thumb:

mjosef

« Reply #942 on: 23 Mar 2010, 06:17 pm »
Looking at the new heatsink, seems like a poor use of the sink, should have the transistors located on the bottom with the thick fin (where the transistors are mounted) as the anchor to the board, still not the best but would have more efficient heat transfer to the sink.  :dunno:

I think it would be better to have all the info in one thread rather than spread out over different circles. Yeah its a big thread, but its all in one place.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #943 on: 23 Mar 2010, 06:25 pm »
Looking at the new heatsink, seems like a poor use of the sink, should have the transistors located on the bottom with the thick fin (where the transistors are mounted) as the anchor to the board, still not the best but would have more efficient heat transfer to the sink.  :dunno:
ya, i was thinking the same thing.  certainly, w/o much effort, a much more efficient heat sink could be utilized.

doug s.

Mariusz

« Reply #944 on: 23 Mar 2010, 06:26 pm »
I think it would be better to have all the info in one thread rather than spread out over different circles. Yeah its a big thread, but its all in one place.

Yupp.
At least it is in one place.
And still relative and informative. 

Cheers
Mariusz

nodiak

« Reply #945 on: 23 Mar 2010, 08:18 pm »
"Has anyone considered going off the grid with the Class D Battery power supply?"

Yes, it's something I will do over time and why I've gotten into class D. Have wind, solar, and pedal power projects starting this summer. All small, a few hundred watts.
I'm interested in what others already doing it have accomplished so also hope they'll respond.

As to heat issues. Mine ran hot to the touch before I finished venting the case. Put air slots on bottom below PS and amp boards, and slots above them. Not hot at all now.
I do need shielding or a metal case as with this wood one the tv's antennae doesn't function.

Don

boone

« Reply #946 on: 23 Mar 2010, 08:49 pm »
mjosef,

I'm curious to know the value of the cmc used in your felix?  I have a felix made up with a 4mh - 5.2amp cmc, do you think that is enough?

Thanks
boone

mjosef

« Reply #947 on: 23 Mar 2010, 10:40 pm »
I have a felix made up with a 4mh - 5.2amp cmc, do you think that is enough?

That looks like the ticket. Should be perfect. I tried the amp on a 39mH Felix, and thought it was too much, however on a 2mH Felix it sounded very good. Don't have a 4.5mH built, but it may just be where the sweet spot lives. Try it and let us know your results.

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #948 on: 23 Mar 2010, 10:46 pm »
Too many batteries. Very,very good linear power supplies can be made for these that are dead quiet. These amps are not that prone to noise problems IF they're wired-in properly.

Has anyone considered going off the grid with the Class D Battery power supply?

Dave H

« Reply #949 on: 24 Mar 2010, 11:38 am »
Hello all,
New to class D. Anything obviously wrong here?
How should it sound at 50+ hours? Those are the IR2092 based boards. Thanks...
Dave

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #950 on: 25 Mar 2010, 02:31 am »
Well boys and girls I finished round 2. With the larger insides and a better understanding
of the proper layout we are done and this time there is no hum in my amp. Many Thanks to all who
helped me along the way................Bill   (El Martino)

steve k

« Reply #951 on: 25 Mar 2010, 02:48 am »
Looking good guys! I don't know about the rest of you but I didn't notice that much of a burn in time with mine. 1/2 hour to an hour or so? Anyone else?  :thumb:
steve

Bemopti123

« Reply #952 on: 25 Mar 2010, 03:50 am »
Is there any RF interference from the boards?  I have been thinking about lining the interior of a salvaged wood drawer box from the 1960s with thin copper as I have seen done in other wood/electronic projects.  Now the question is, how many millimeters of copper sheeting I need to get and how to attach these sheets effectively to wood....  but going back to the question, whether there is any RF interference from these boards. 

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #953 on: 25 Mar 2010, 04:24 am »
Pumpkinman, how about a review comparing the sonics of the ClassD amp with your McIntosh amp?

Nice job on the case and build.

Nick77

« Reply #954 on: 25 Mar 2010, 11:26 am »
Looking good guys! I don't know about the rest of you but I didn't notice that much of a burn in time with mine. 1/2 hour to an hour or so? Anyone else?  :thumb:
steve

Steve i really didnt notice much break-in either, quite different from any other new audio piece's i have owned.  :green:
« Last Edit: 25 Mar 2010, 02:50 pm by Nick77 »

mintzar

• I bend digital to my will
    • Core Audio Technology
« Reply #955 on: 25 Mar 2010, 12:38 pm »
Mine took over 100 hours to stop changing. Interesting about the differences in breakin from amp to amp.

HT cOz

« Reply #956 on: 25 Mar 2010, 12:44 pm »
Is there any RF interference from the boards?  I have been thinking about lining the interior of a salvaged wood drawer box from the 1960s with thin copper as I have seen done in other wood/electronic projects.  Now the question is, how many millimeters of copper sheeting I need to get and how to attach these sheets effectively to wood....  but going back to the question, whether there is any RF interference from these boards.

This seems like a good idea.  Has anyone tried it before?

simoon

« Reply #957 on: 25 Mar 2010, 06:04 pm »
Pumpkinman, how about a review comparing the sonics of the ClassD amp with your McIntosh amp?

My thoughts exactly.

I want to read a few reviews compared to known class A/B amps.

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #958 on: 25 Mar 2010, 07:21 pm »

It was recommended to me that I turn on my amp and not turn it off for a week which I just turned it on(burn in time) I just recently added copper ICs I'll remove them and put back the MAC Ultra Silvers I was using before as I'm more familiar with the sound, before I give you guys a head to head comparison. First play the thing that stood out was that imaging was far wider than with the Mcintosh.......................Bill

I wanted to add that I would hardly call myself an audiophile. Being involved with the higher end of this hobby for about 1 1/2 years. Thanks to the NY Rave and it's members(all great guys)I've learned alot, but most of all we all interpet things differently. Some like detail others prefer warmth or all of the above and at the end of the day what we really want is to sit back and enjoy

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #959 on: 25 Mar 2010, 08:56 pm »
"Some like detail others prefer warmth or all of the above and at the end of the day what we really want is to sit back and enjoy"

Absolutely right and well put!  :wink: