$175 Class D amp--120 wpc

mcgsxr

Re: $175 Class D amp--120 wpc
« Reply #920 on: 20 Mar 2010, 01:58 pm »
I read this thread with interest - not the kind of interest that makes me think I will buy one, but the kind of interest in digital amps period - I went through a phase a couple of years ago, trying JVC and Panny receivers, Teac Tripaths in various states of mod, the Sharp digital, a Trends, but eventually found my way back to Class A, this time in el84 tubes.  I still own a JVC EX-A1 that I use in the living room, but need to build some fun speakers for it.  For the main system, I am loving my old Maggie console pull.

Looks like a great way to get lots of affordable power, and cool to see the efforts and various builds around here!

mjosef

« Reply #921 on: 21 Mar 2010, 06:11 am »
Is the nut driver under the Powercord your best tweak ?

Nah...least favorable tweak...didn't do squat for the sound.  :eyebrows:

mduckw01

« Reply #922 on: 22 Mar 2010, 07:43 pm »
folks,

after reading this thread via link provided by jtwrace, I contacted Tom at ClassDaudio with some questions and with his response, he ask me to pass on the following information:

Hi Mike,

To try to make this a more easy answer... today or tomorrow we are introducing our new "Super D Series" amps with balanced input and adjustable gain. In about a week, we have a version of this amp coming out with balanced input, adjustable gain, but... also can drive loads below 1.5 ohm. This amp is rated at 500 W RMS per channel at 2 ohm! Of course, this new series of amps is more expensive than our other series and on average about $100.00 per amp more. The 500W into 2 ohm is even a little more expensive.

These new amps from us have the finest balanced inputs available anywhere on the planet, and can also take input voltages up to 20 volts. Input impedance on the Super D's is 47k. They also have external adjustable gain controls (work like volume controls). Also, no more soldering for external LED's, switch, or gain controls, as I have incorporated Molex type connectors for all of these, and also include the connectors with wires attached to make things even easier. Larger and better cooling heatsink too. These amps are the same width, but 1" longer than our other IR based amps.

I believe we have answered all requests and comments from our customers with this new amp. I also believe it will possibly prove to be one of the finest audio amplifiers available today and at any price.

I will try to get a news letter out with the new amps in the next few days. Things have been very busy for me here with work from early morning to about 1:00 in the morning 7 days a week, so I might be a little late getting it out. If you're in the Audiocircle.com forum, maybe you can pass on this information for me?

Please let me know if I can be more help.

Thanks,
Tom

so I'm waiting on Tom's latest & greatest and then I've simply got to jump on this bandwagon and give these a try.

Nick77

« Reply #923 on: 22 Mar 2010, 07:50 pm »
It will certainly be interesting to hear comparisions of the new amps. Didnt expect a price increase of that much though.  :duh:

Steve any update on the demo?

steve k

« Reply #924 on: 22 Mar 2010, 09:05 pm »
Maybe by the end of the week. You'll know when I know.
steve

pjchappy

« Reply #925 on: 22 Mar 2010, 11:19 pm »
Are the Super Ds going to use the same PS?

I'm likely going to sell my two 250 Watt x 2 into 8 Ohm amps.  They are brand new/unused, but taken out of the package to take a gander at them.  PM me if interested.  May just sell one.  Would use the funds for the Super Ds. 

Paul

steve k

« Reply #926 on: 23 Mar 2010, 12:00 am »
Yes as long as they're the same output as the originals. Hopefully we'll know more in a few days. Just hope the new boards fit in my case.  :o
steve

Mariusz

« Reply #927 on: 23 Mar 2010, 12:27 am »
Gain control will be welcome by many as well as other improvements.
Is it worth the premium? I guess that depends. 
But comparison of these amps would be interesting.

P.S
does anyone knows dimentions of the new amp kit ........ just in case.  :lol:

Cheers
Mariusz :thumb:

Nick77

« Reply #928 on: 23 Mar 2010, 12:29 am »
     These amps are the same width, but 1" longer than our other IR based amps                                                     

Mariusz

« Reply #929 on: 23 Mar 2010, 01:11 am »

steve k

« Reply #930 on: 23 Mar 2010, 02:15 am »
Here's some pics of the new Super D amp. You can see the gain attenuators and the LED extensions for remote LED's. Pretty slick!!

steve

It seemed more appropriate to move this post to the Sweet Deals thread since that's discussing the new Super D amp.

dewardh

« Reply #931 on: 23 Mar 2010, 05:58 am »
These new amps from us have the finest balanced inputs available anywhere on the planet . . .
\
That would have to be the Burr-Brown INA137/INA2137 audio differential line receiver . . . easy to implement and excellent performance.

It will be interesting to see what changes (other than the heat sink) are made to deal with loads below 4 Ohm . . . the existing output filter won't do, and maybe more robust output FETs to take the current necessary.  That's probably where most of the additional money goes.  I'm a bit surprised at the new heat sink . . . I would have just added a "crown" on the standard bar . . . (which anyone can do on the amps that they have . . . mask off the board, drill and tap, screw on the radiator).  Keeps the trace lengths shorter . . .

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #932 on: 23 Mar 2010, 12:56 pm »
A little advice:

Before dumping your existing Class D modules, get some feedback on how the new ones sound first. They may not sound better, just different. I think the existing modules are great! Let's see how people like the new ones, what they have to offer.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #933 on: 23 Mar 2010, 01:44 pm »
looking at the heat sink, i cannot help but wonder - would it not be much more efficient to have the fins perpendicular to the the first thick mounting fin, instead of parallel?  much better heat transfer, in the same space...  are heat sinks of this shape rare or more expensive, or?

thanks,

doug s.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #934 on: 23 Mar 2010, 01:46 pm »
are heat sinks of this shape rare or more expensive, or?

thanks,

doug s.

Nope.  Not rare at all.

http://www.heatsinkusa.com/

ohenry

« Reply #935 on: 23 Mar 2010, 01:56 pm »
...are heat sinks of this shape rare or more expensive, or?

thanks,

doug s.

But... mounting the heatsink to the board would be a little more challenging (you can't screw into the now vertical fins, you'd have to screw from the bottom into the thicker plate where the transistors reside).

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #936 on: 23 Mar 2010, 03:24 pm »
Nope.  Not rare at all.

http://www.heatsinkusa.com/
nope - must be rare - not one heat sink on that site has first blade running one direction, then all the other blades running perpendicular to it.  all the heat sinks on that site are exactly like what's shown in the amp pic, except in the amp pic, the first blade is thicker...

yes, you could re-orient the heat sink per what ohenry talks about, but then you would have a set-up  that is difficult to secure to the board.

doug s.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #937 on: 23 Mar 2010, 03:34 pm »
nope - must be rare - not one heat sink on that site has first blade running one direction, then all the other blades running perpendicular to it.  all the heat sinks on that site are exactly like what's shown in the amp pic, except in the amp pic, the first blade is thicker...

yes, you could re-orient the heat sink per what ohenry talks about, but then you would have a set-up  that is difficult to secure to the board.

doug s.

Ok.  I misunderstood.  Yes, these are extruded so you will not have two fins going in different directions unless one is machined for you.  Which is possible...not hard at all.

anything is possible...

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #938 on: 23 Mar 2010, 03:42 pm »
Ok.  I misunderstood.  Yes, these are extruded so you will not have two fins going in different directions unless one is machined for you.  Which is possible...not hard at all.

anything is possible...
yes, likely quite a bit more expensive.  but, if heat is a problem here, which some users have indicated is the case, it may not be so expensive for a run of this part, which isn't too large, in this case.  or, it may be simpler to yust butt one of these extrusions up against a flat bar stock, attached w/suitable screws and heat transfer paste...

doug s.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #939 on: 23 Mar 2010, 03:45 pm »
yes, likely quite a bit more expensive.  but, if heat is a problem here, which some users have indicated is the case, it may not be so expensive for a run of this part, which isn't too large, in this case.  or, it may be simpler to yust butt one of these extrusions up against a flat bar stock, attached w/suitable screws and heat transfer paste...

doug s.

Yes, or use some standoffs that would attach to the case (metal of course).  Then you'll use the case as a heat sink...we'll see!