$175 Class D amp--120 wpc

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: $175 Class D amp--120 wpc
« Reply #820 on: 11 Mar 2010, 03:50 pm »
jtwrace is working on some custom enclousures which are going to be available at reasonable price to anyone interested in dressing up there class D-amp.
Those interested can contact Jason ( jtwrace) for more info. 

P.S
Looking forward to some pictures Jason ...... ones they are finished.

Cheers
Mariusz

I will be sure to post some pics when they're done.  I'd say about a couple of weeks if all goes as planned.

hasekisgod

« Reply #821 on: 11 Mar 2010, 05:06 pm »
To use who are currently using these units, how is the bass performance? Tom told me the damping factor was around 120 which seemed surprisingly low....

yes it is 120 but I read the info from IR and the damping is 2000 before demodulator and at the class d output it is 120. I see other companies put there damping factor at 1000 and 2000. so it makes me wonder if they are using the factor before the demodulator too have the DF look better. I wonder.. :scratch:

Michael

mjosef

« Reply #822 on: 11 Mar 2010, 05:12 pm »
Didn't see it on the website or in the manual...anyone know the current draw of the 250x2 amp?

wushuliu

« Reply #823 on: 11 Mar 2010, 05:36 pm »
Michael Percy Audio sells the Vishay diodes and IXYs diodes, which are the ones I recommend. They are the fastest diodes on the market by far. The diodes need to be at least 2x the voltage of the TX. If you are using larger caps you should make it 4x to be safe. The problem is, that as the voltage gets higher the diode isn't as fast. So it's important to get a voltage rating that is just high enough, but not too high. The big thing with the diodes... and the caps for that matter... is what will fit on the board. You can always build a new PSU board, but it will be substantially easier to just replace the caps and bridge that are already there.

Hm, what about one of the supplies listed on this page:

http://connexelectronic.com/index.php/cPath/25_45?osCsid=fplttf8h1r9ap43padpmdodht1

dewardh

« Reply #824 on: 11 Mar 2010, 06:22 pm »
Is there a particular bridge rectifier you recommend, since digikey and I are so tight...

My power supply boards as received use:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=641-1358-ND,

which is not what is described on the classDaudio web site (which says “6 Amp 600V rectifier” for the standard ps board).  It should be sufficient in most cases.  The same manufacturer offers 25A and 35A  versions in the same package, which would be drop-in replacements with increased current safety margin.

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=641-1361-ND
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=641-1364-ND

Whether the higher surge rating (400A vs. 250A) is worth a couple bucks is your call . . . it depends on how much capacity you add, and your own comfort margin about such things.  I would have replaced what is spec’ed (by classDaudio), I may not replace what was delivered (unless something fails).

Since mine are 35V supplies I’m upgrading with 50V caps . . . the largest (tallest) that would fit my case are:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=P6693-ND

If you’re using a higher voltage supply use higher voltage rated caps to maintain the voltage safety margin.

Hm, what about one of the supplies listed on this page:

They look nice, and the pricing is good.  I wonder about the separate fusing (on some models) . . . that invites a single-rail failure which might not be good for the amp boards.

dewardh

« Reply #825 on: 11 Mar 2010, 06:30 pm »
yes it is 120

Once you add in the resistance of connectors, speaker cables, and most particularly the series resistance of the crossover (unless you're using active crossover) the amplifier is not the limiting factor, and 120 is more than enough.

but I read the info from IR and the damping is 2000 before demodulator and at the class d output it is 120. I see other companies put there damping factor at 1000 and 2000. so it makes me wonder if they are using the factor before the demodulator too have the DF look better. I wonder.. :scratch:

A good catch, that . . . and the lesson is *never believe anything from marketing*.  Engineering will usually tell you the truth (although even they may make you dig for it).

wushuliu

« Reply #826 on: 11 Mar 2010, 09:13 pm »
They look nice, and the pricing is good.  I wonder about the separate fusing (on some models) . . . that invites a single-rail failure which might not be good for the amp boards.

Thanks for all the PS info deward. So are you going w/ 15k each, for a total of 90k? or just 2 ( you mentioned 30k).

I ordered some ts-ha as well (6800), they seem to get high marks.

dewardh

« Reply #827 on: 11 Mar 2010, 11:38 pm »
are you going w/ 15k each, for a total of 90k? or just 2 ( you mentioned 30k).

The first experiment will be with 30k per rail (two pair of 15k, 60k total on board) and to use the third position for bypass and snubber parts.  If that works well enough I'll clone it for the other amps, box 'em up and move on to serious listening.  Apart from input coupling and power supply I haven't identified anything else that I want to change . . . yet . . . :icon_twisted: . . .

pjchappy

« Reply #828 on: 12 Mar 2010, 03:18 am »
I have a bit of a Class D dilemma.

I currently have this kit (unbuilt): http://classdaudio.com/index.php/class-d-amplifier-kits/home-kits/1000-watt-class-d-amplifier-kit.html

When I ordered it, I thought this kit contained two of the most powerful IR amp boards.  Turns out, it doesn't.  :duh:  It contains two of these: http://classdaudio.com/index.php/class-d-audio-amplifiers/home-and-pro-class-d-audio-amplifiers/class-d-power-amplifier-250w-x-2-500w-x-1.html (The site still isn't very clear enough for me. . .but, I have it all figure out now)

For my future speakers, I plan on going active and will need 4 channels of amplification. . .and I decided the kit I have, which can be used in a 4 channel "mode," just won't cut it.  I don't feel like writing out all the different options I thought of regarding configurations of the Class D amps, so I will just post my current dilemma/options:

1.  Keep the kit I have.  Use it in bridged mode, giving me 250 Watts x 2 @ 8 Ohms.  I would use this to horizontally biamp the speakers and drive the woofer sections.  Keep in mind, this kit has 2 amp modules driven off of one PS.   

- With #1, I would then get this kit.  This kit uses the same module in #1.  However, it just has a single module and I would use it in stereo mode, giving me 125 Watts x 2 @ 8 Ohms.  I would use this to horizontally biamp the mids and tweeters of each speaker.

2.  Get the kit that has one of these modules (the highest powered IR module): This would also give me 250 Watts x 2 @ 8 Ohms. I would also use this to horizontally biamp and drive the woofer sections of each speaker.  This module now has the "upgraded" heatsink and is safe into 4 Ohms.

- I would then break apart the kit I have and return or sell one of its amplifier modules.  I would use it the same way as described under #1 above.

I guess what it boils down to is this:  Is it better to get 250 Watts per channel into 8 ohms with 2 bridged amp modules and 1 PS or just one stereo module and 1 PS?

Hope that's clear!  :lol:

Thanks!

Paul

shadowlight

« Reply #829 on: 12 Mar 2010, 03:35 am »
@Paul (pjchappy),

The first 3 links that you posted all are the same classd boards which are 250 x 2 @ 4ohms.  The first link has two boards and that is the reason you are getting the 1000W (250wpc with 4 channels).  The 4th link is the 250wpc x 8ohm board.  If you plan to go that route please make sure that you get the extra heat sink (the ones that Steve got for his 4ohm speakers and ones that were compared to wyred for sound), in case your plan to run 4ohm speakers with those boards.  I would also check with Tom to be sure about the 4th link and your speaker requirement 4 v/s 8 ohms.

pjchappy

« Reply #830 on: 12 Mar 2010, 03:38 am »
@Paul (pjchappy),

The first 3 links that you posted all are the same classd boards which are 250 x 2 @ 4ohms.  The first link has two boards and that is the reason you are getting the 1000W (250wpc with 4 channels).  The 4th link is the 250wpc x 8ohm board.  If you plan to go that route please make sure that you get the extra heat sink (the ones that Steve got for his 4ohm speakers and ones that were compared to wyred for sound), in case your plan to run 4ohm speakers with those boards.  I would also check with Tom to be sure about the 4th link and your speaker requirement 4 v/s 8 ohms.

I totally understand that.

As I mentioned in the paragraph discussing the 4th link, the upgraded heatsink is now standard, and therefore safe into 4 Ohms. (That info is straight from Tom)

Anwyays, I decided not to use the kit I have in 4 channel mode and that is why I now have this "dilemma." (Which I added to the previous post for clarity)

Paul

shadowlight

« Reply #831 on: 12 Mar 2010, 03:54 am »
I totally understand that.

As I mentioned in the paragraph discussing the 4th link, the upgraded heatsink is now standard, and therefore safe into 4 Ohms. (That info is straight from Tom)

Anwyays, I decided not to use the kit I have in 4 channel mode and that is why I now have this "dilemma." (Which I added to the previous post for clarity)

Paul

:duh: should have read your original post more carefully.  I should know better to post when I am half sleeping.

DougSmith

• What will the next hundred years bring?
« Reply #832 on: 12 Mar 2010, 04:10 am »
For my future speakers, I plan on going active and will need 4 channels of amplification. . .and I decided the kit I have, which can be used in a 4 channel "mode," just won't cut it.  I don't feel like writing out all the different options I thought of regarding configurations of the Class D amps, so I will just post my current dilemma/options:

What are the future speakers going to be?  Why are the 4 channels you have not enough?

pjchappy

« Reply #833 on: 12 Mar 2010, 04:16 am »
I have it narrowed down to a couple different speakers.  The bass sections are known to be power hungry / like a lot of power.  With that and with reading people talking about upgrading the PS, I just think 4 x 125 @ at Ohm off of 1 PS may run out of steam.

Another option I have is to just get another PS and transformer and make 2 identical stereo amps, still giving me 4 x 125 Watts @ 8 Ohms, but off of 2 PS.  However, for basically $100 more, I could double the power (with option #1 in my previous post).  This would have the benefit of making this amp a little more versatile for any future use, too.
« Last Edit: 12 Mar 2010, 05:21 am by pjchappy »

dewardh

« Reply #834 on: 12 Mar 2010, 06:39 am »
I have it narrowed down to a couple different speakers.  The bass sections are known to be power hungry / like a lot of power.

You may be spinning your wheels a bit worrying about power that you really don’t need.  While the “1000 Watt”  kit may be a little overhyped, especially considering the power supply, 4 channels at 125 Watts each into 8 Ohms is still a lot of power, and if you end up getting/building speakers with 4 Ohm drivers there is even more power available (though you’ll probably need to do some power supply improvement).  Are the woofers in the speakers you are considering 8 Ohm or 4 Ohm?  What’s their rated SPL at 1 Watt?

Start by evaluating the actual power requirement of the speakers, and since you’re going to bi-amp consider the individual drivers in them.  The IR amps *actually deliver* the rated power . . . there is no need to overbuy to get “headroom” (which is the word used to justify money spent for power never used).  Look upthread for my post about the power actually needed for a Seas W22EX.  My tri-amped speakers are spec’ed 120 Watts/side for the woofers, 60/side for the mids, and 60/side for the tweeters.  It is specifically advised *not* to use amps larger than that, as they might damage the drivers.  If things work out I’ll be powering the woofers and mids with two 120x2 boards (and two power supply boards, on one transformer).  I didn’t buy the 250x2 boards because that’s *more* power than I need . . . .

As for heat sinks . . . it’s better move a little air across a small heat sink than to put a big heat sink in a closed box.  These things are in fact quite efficient . . . they don’t generate anywhere near as much heat as a Class AB amp delivering the same power.  Even at painful listening levels they generate less heat than the typical laptop computer.  They don’t need 20 lbs of Aluminum in a wind tunnel heat sink.  That’s for the Class A guys . . . or pro sound at the coliseum.

wushuliu

« Reply #835 on: 12 Mar 2010, 06:54 am »
The first experiment will be with 30k per rail (two pair of 15k, 60k total on board) and to use the third position for bypass and snubber parts.  If that works well enough I'll clone it for the other amps, box 'em up and move on to serious listening.  Apart from input coupling and power supply I haven't identified anything else that I want to change . . . yet . . . :icon_twisted: . . .

keep us posted...

Robert F.

« Reply #836 on: 12 Mar 2010, 11:21 am »
I received my amp kit (250w x , 500w x 1, large power supply, transformer) on March 10.
This is my first ever DIY amp. I hooked up everything on a board to see how it works and will build a proper enclosure soon. No problems hooking everything up. Transformer came with orange and brown leads taped off and also CT leads were taped together so Tom is taking steps to keep people from burning up the transformer. I am using an old Yamaha RX-V850 receiver as a preamp, Harman Kardon FL-8400 CD player, and DIY Mini-Statements speakers. First played some Floyd Dark Side of the Moon and it was an “OMG this is fantastic” moment. All was well then I started to have some problems. The volume of the music, especially lyrics started to fade in and out. Mind you this started about 45 minutes into play time. I don’t think the problem is the amp. I believe it is with the Yamaha because it has a LED in the volume knob and I saw it dim and flicker a few times. This receiver is about 17 years old and has been sitting around in my basement for years. I checked over the amp and all looks okay. Temp of heat sink was 86 degrees and chips attached to heat sink were 107 degrees so amp is not getting too hot.  I did not have time to investigate last night and I wanted to not get frustrated so I will check it out more this evening. I will double check all connections and make sure all interconnect cables are tight. If still have the problem I will hook up amp to my HT receiver pre outs and  see if old Yamaha is the problem.  I may do this anyway to compare sound, however, getting to the back of HT setup is a pain in the rear. Anyone have any ideas as to what may be happing?

Robert

DougSmith

• What will the next hundred years bring?
« Reply #837 on: 12 Mar 2010, 01:50 pm »
You may be spinning your wheels a bit worrying about power that you really don’t need.  While the “1000 Watt”  kit may be a little overhyped, especially considering the power supply, 4 channels at 125 Watts each into 8 Ohms is still a lot of power, and if you end up getting/building speakers with 4 Ohm drivers there is even more power available (though you’ll probably need to do some power supply improvement).  Are the woofers in the speakers you are considering 8 Ohm or 4 Ohm?  What’s their rated SPL at 1 Watt?

Start by evaluating the actual power requirement of the speakers, and since you’re going to bi-amp consider the individual drivers in them.  The IR amps *actually deliver* the rated power . . . there is no need to overbuy to get “headroom” (which is the word used to justify money spent for power never used).  Look upthread for my post about the power actually needed for a Seas W22EX.  My tri-amped speakers are spec’ed 120 Watts/side for the woofers, 60/side for the mids, and 60/side for the tweeters.  It is specifically advised *not* to use amps larger than that, as they might damage the drivers.  If things work out I’ll be powering the woofers and mids with two 120x2 boards (and two power supply boards, on one transformer).  I didn’t buy the 250x2 boards because that’s *more* power than I need . . . .

As for heat sinks . . . it’s better move a little air across a small heat sink than to put a big heat sink in a closed box.  These things are in fact quite efficient . . . they don’t generate anywhere near as much heat as a Class AB amp delivering the same power.  Even at painful listening levels they generate less heat than the typical laptop computer.  They don’t need 20 lbs of Aluminum in a wind tunnel heat sink.  That’s for the Class A guys . . . or pro sound at the coliseum.

Second that....

simoon

« Reply #838 on: 12 Mar 2010, 05:47 pm »
So, I've been lurking on this thread for about a week, read the entire thing with great interest.

I'm somewhat close to pulling the trigger on 2, 120w x 2, 240w x 1 to run as mono blocks (with upgraded power supplies).

There's a point that several people have touched on, that I want to explore a little further. Several people have mentioned to keep signal leads as short as possible in order to reject as much RFI as possible, correct?

My question is, does anyone think there would be any advantage in shielding the case with copper (or some other material) to reject RFI? They touch on it here - audioheritage.org/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-14551.html.

I've read that NUFORCE is 'notorious' for RFI issues. So, it would seem to me, that even if the RFI isn't audible as such, it would still have a harmful affect on the quality of the sound. It may even account for the 'wrongness' some people hear in the upper frequencies.

Robert F.

« Reply #839 on: 12 Mar 2010, 06:15 pm »
So, I've been lurking on this thread for about a week, read the entire thing with great interest.

I'm somewhat close to pulling the trigger on 2, 120w x 2, 240w x 1 to run as mono blocks (with upgraded power supplies).

There's a point that several people have touched on, that I want to explore a little further. Several people have mentioned to keep signal leads as short as possible in order to reject as much RFI as possible, correct?

My question is, does anyone think there would be any advantage in shielding the case with copper (or some other material) to reject RFI? They touch on it here - audioheritage.org/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-14551.html.

I've read that NUFORCE is 'notorious' for RFI issues. So, it would seem to me, that even if the RFI isn't audible as such, it would still have a harmful affect on the quality of the sound. It may even account for the 'wrongness' some people hear in the upper frequencies.

I was thinking the same thing about shielding yesterday while at Lowe's picking up some wood for the case. The signal leads in my test platform are only about 3 inches long. I have some Kimber kable braided speaker wire and am thinking about cutting some off the end and using it for the signal leads.

Robert