$175 Class D amp--120 wpc

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Re: $175 Class D amp--120 wpc
« Reply #740 on: 8 Mar 2010, 10:09 pm »

I have heard Tommy's amp and it is a fine product (wish I had extra  $$$ to blow).  The only problem -  20 : 1 price ratio.
If you like to explain the differences between these two in some constructive way, please do.  (day & night conclusion is not really helpful)

Regards
Mariusz :thumb:
Hope I'm not crossing some rule by entering the conversation here...  Feel free to move this post if so.
OK, add up the cost.  Two modules, power supply, chassis, several hours putting it together, the possibility of a "ka-bang" type mistake, etc.
I've sold a few DAC4800A demos for <$1K (not in mint condition, of course).  The difference is in the modulation, component selection/design, output filter, power supply topology, and other things.  I'm not giving away our secret sauce to prove a point on this board, mind you.  I've heard plenty of amps that sound fine until you compare it to something else.  More head-to-head comparisons are welcomed.

wushuliu

« Reply #741 on: 8 Mar 2010, 10:58 pm »
What kind of results are you getting? Was that just some basic .22 film caps?

22uf caps. It's hard for me to properly gauge the results because only the night before I finished my dac kit and changed volume pots and was so wowed by that, when I swapped caps it was hard for me to gauge the difference. Darn it. I always do that. Anyhoos, my impression is that it takes clarity up a couple notches but I could be wrong.

steve k

« Reply #742 on: 8 Mar 2010, 11:00 pm »
I've heard plenty of amps that sound fine until you compare it to something else.  More head-to-head comparisons are welcomed.

In my local comparisons, I've compared the Class D Audio 60/120 watt amp to: My VTL monoblocks with SED EL 34 tubes on the top end of my biamp setup of heavily modified maggie IIIA's; I've compared it to a pair of Aronov Monoblocks running Merlins with a Musical Design SP-1 preamp (both heavily modified by John Hillig; a Yamamoto 2A3 amp with matching Yamamoto preamp running Lowthers. I've also compared the Class D Audio 250/400 amp on my maggie bass panels versus a Hafler DH-500 heavily modded by John Hillig (96,000 uf capaciticance) and I've heard the same Class D amp compared to the Wyred4Sound 500 integrated run through a pair of stock maggie 1.6's. In all cases, the listeners (not just myself) agreed the Class D matched or bettered these amps in these setups.

You can read my report of the W4S comparison in post #361.

steve

Nick77

« Reply #743 on: 8 Mar 2010, 11:01 pm »
22uf caps. It's hard for me to properly gauge the results because only the night before I finished my dac kit and changed volume pots and was so wowed by that, when I swapped caps it was hard for me to gauge the difference. Darn it. I always do that. Anyhoos, my impression is that it takes clarity up a couple notches but I could be wrong.

Rotflol.............. Love it!  Been there, thanks!

wushuliu

« Reply #744 on: 8 Mar 2010, 11:16 pm »
Those things are tiny. Did you remove the old ones and if so how hard was it to get them off the board.

They're pretty easy to get off the board since they're surface mount. Just dab some flux on either side, grasp with tweezer and gently pull off one side at a time with the soldering iron. Then jumper them with solder or a thin piece of metal (I just clip off the end of a spare resistor or led lead).

Of course I would recommend this only for those with a steady hand, and disclaimer I'm not responsible for whatever happens should you listen to me i'm crazy it was your own fault you listened ha ha, etc.

I'm curious tho because w/ tripath class d amps for instance the quality of input caps are a priority.

wushuliu

« Reply #745 on: 8 Mar 2010, 11:23 pm »
X2

yeah, any links?

I was looking at few ready boards (upsampling and NOS)
but can not decide which one to try.

THX

Cheers
Mariusz

FYI to all, I've started a thread on the DAC in the Lab...

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=78737.0

shadowlight

« Reply #746 on: 8 Mar 2010, 11:25 pm »
@wushuliu

Can you post pictures of your amp with the dac board.  Thinking about using the Pass B1 in similar fashion.

Bemopti123

« Reply #747 on: 8 Mar 2010, 11:34 pm »
Got the boards, the PS and the transformer today.  I need to find a suitable case for the amp project.  Perhaps I will cannibalize an old Panasonic VCR case, but it seems that the transformer is quite tall.  Yup, that transformer is chunky.  Need a tall case.  Damn it. 

Mariusz

« Reply #748 on: 8 Mar 2010, 11:38 pm »
Hope I'm not crossing some rule by entering the conversation here...  Feel free to move this post if so.
OK, add up the cost.  Two modules, power supply, chassis, several hours putting it together, the possibility of a "ka-bang" type mistake, etc.
I've sold a few DAC4800A demos for <$1K (not in mint condition, of course).  The difference is in the modulation, component selection/design, output filter, power supply topology, and other things.  I'm not giving away our secret sauce to prove a point on this board, mind you.  I've heard plenty of amps that sound fine until you compare it to something else.  More head-to-head comparisons are welcomed.

Tommy (and all AC members)

I just wish to remind everyone the purpose of this Circle.
It is about things that make us happy and cost little.
The last thing we want is to turn it into pissing contest.
Those usually end up in one place we try to avoid. 

Doubtfully anyone is questioning your integrity or work you put into your designs but no one can deny the value of a kit that can be had for under $200 and take about an hour to assemble.

Any comparison of this kit to top brand competition should be taken with grain of salt. As we all know, we can be very bias when it comes to audio gear and preferences.  But for the most part, everyone is cheerful about this amp.......even Mr. Blair who is known for his long time tube affairs.  :wink:

Have fun everyone.  :P

wushuliu

« Reply #749 on: 8 Mar 2010, 11:50 pm »
@wushuliu

Can you post pictures of your amp with the dac board.  Thinking about using the Pass B1 in similar fashion.

I'll get some up in the next couple of days after the B1. The GF wants that project off the dining room table stat! :whip:

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #750 on: 9 Mar 2010, 12:02 am »
In my local comparisons, I've compared the Class D Audio 60/120 watt amp to: My VTL monoblocks with SED EL 34 tubes on the top end of my biamp setup of heavily modified maggie IIIA's; I've compared it to a pair of Aronov Monoblocks running Merlins with a Musical Design SP-1 preamp (both heavily modified by John Hillig; a Yamamoto 2A3 amp with matching Yamamoto preamp running Lowthers. I've also compared the Class D Audio 250/400 amp on my maggie bass panels versus a Hafler DH-500 heavily modded by John Hillig (96,000 uf capaciticance) and I've heard the same Class D amp compared to the Wyred4Sound 500 integrated run through a pair of stock maggie 1.6's. In all cases, the listeners (not just myself) agreed the Class D matched or bettered these amps in these setups.

You can read my report of the W4S comparison in post #361.

steve
Who else has compared this amp to others?  Any Audio Circle "old timers" out there?  In any case, I should back out of this thread, being an amp manufacturer and all.  :oops:
Do you know anybody with a DAC4800A or Cherry amp that you can compare against?
Thanks.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #751 on: 9 Mar 2010, 12:06 am »
Tommy (and all AC members)

I just wish to remind everyone the purpose of this Circle.
It is about things that make us happy and cost little.
The last thing we want is to turn it into pissing contest.
Those usually end up in one place we try to avoid. 

Doubtfully anyone is questioning your integrity or work you put into your designs but no one can deny the value of a kit that can be had for under $200 and take about an hour to assemble.

Any comparison of this kit to top brand competition should be taken with grain of salt. As we all know, we can be very bias when it comes to audio gear and preferences.  But for the most part, everyone is cheerful about this amp.......even Mr. Blair who is known for his long time tube affairs.  :wink:

Have fun everyone.  :P

OK, this will be my last post on this thread.  Have fun, guys...

pjchappy

« Reply #752 on: 9 Mar 2010, 12:06 am »
Who else has compared this amp to others?  Any Audio Circle "old timers" out there?  In any case, I should back out of this thread, being an amp manufacturer and all.  :oops:
Thanks.

You're more then welcome to post in this thread! :thumb:  Just have to make sure you don't turn your posts into ads for your products.

Paul

DougSmith

• What will the next hundred years bring?
« Reply #753 on: 9 Mar 2010, 12:12 am »
Thanks.

I did a cursory comparison with the amps in my Yamaha RX-Z7 receiver... sounded good to me.  It was just a quick check because it was the first time I powered up the amps and my subwoofers (for which I built them) were not done yet.  It's on my to-do list to do a more careful comparison - with in-room measurements, but I haven't gotten around to that yet.

Mariusz

« Reply #754 on: 9 Mar 2010, 12:29 am »
OK, this will be my last post on this thread.  Have fun, guys...

Tommy no need to take this personally. 
You are more then welcome to post/share/ debate.
Regards
Mariusz
  :thumb:

zapper7

• Its time to have fun, its fun to have time
« Reply #755 on: 9 Mar 2010, 12:35 am »
Jkelly,

My amps have done the heat-up and shut down, but with more ventilation all is good. We have have large rooms with loud listening levels :drums: :guitar: :guitar: :drums:, I do anyway.

I am getting a wicked hiss out of both amps I built, after re-locations, power conditions and the like, not sure where to go from here, any suggestions?
I have emailed Tom but not much there..

zapper7

• Its time to have fun, its fun to have time
« Reply #756 on: 9 Mar 2010, 12:38 am »
I completely agree and the hours break-in thing.
I had put 1 together 2 weeks ago and now started running a second amp. The second definitely sounded off compared to the first. So now I am just running the second to catch up and verify I did nothing wrong or received different parts.

DougSmith

• What will the next hundred years bring?
« Reply #757 on: 9 Mar 2010, 12:53 am »
Jkelly,

My amps have done the heat-up and shut down, but with more ventilation all is good. We have have large rooms with loud listening levels :drums: :guitar: :guitar: :drums:, I do anyway.

I am getting a wicked hiss out of both amps I built, after re-locations, power conditions and the like, not sure where to go from here, any suggestions?
I have emailed Tom but not much there..

Disconnect signal and house ground (assuming they are connected). 

Edit: Ok, forget that - looks like nothing is grounded based on your build pics. Maybe shield the input connectors since they are fairly close to the AC in?

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #758 on: 9 Mar 2010, 01:54 am »
Face plate

shadowlight

« Reply #759 on: 9 Mar 2010, 01:58 am »
That looks great Bill.  Is the power switch in the center of the face plate?