$175 Class D amp--120 wpc

6SN7

Re: $175 Class D amp--120 wpc
« Reply #560 on: 1 Mar 2010, 09:28 pm »
You can do that, but what I found when I stuck one of my new LEDs into the L-on and R-on holes while the amp was on was that the new LED barely glowed at all.  I'll need to remove the stock LEDs to get enough voltage to fire up the new ones properly.  Your mileage may vary.
Bob

atroder

« Reply #561 on: 1 Mar 2010, 09:49 pm »
Hmm. I wonder if this is an issue where the stock LED is sucking up too much current and/or the external LED is not getting enough. Perhaps better results could be obtained by selecting a different external LED with the right electrical characteristics to match the stock one?

Nick77

« Reply #562 on: 1 Mar 2010, 10:09 pm »
I wired mine directly from the board without unhooking the stock ones with no problems, certainly bright enough for my tastes.

« Last Edit: 2 Mar 2010, 01:27 am by Nick77 »

wushuliu

« Reply #563 on: 1 Mar 2010, 11:28 pm »
Another Christmas amp!! I like it! Very nice, classic and simple Wushu!
steve

lol. this amp is the gift that keeps on giving... can't wait for the Affordable Audio review.

Bemopti123

« Reply #564 on: 1 Mar 2010, 11:38 pm »
Probably not...I was just going to post some pics when I'm done.   :green:
If you undertake this, would you take some pictures as you slowly begin to wire things together?  And, if you can upload it with some comments, that would make it all the so much easier.  Not that it is not as easy as it is.  Visual companion would just make things 100% better.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #565 on: 1 Mar 2010, 11:39 pm »
If you undertake this, would you take some pictures as you slowly begin to wire things together?  And, if you can upload it with some comments, that would make it all the so much easier.  Not that it is not as easy as it is.  Visual companion would just make things 100% better.

I'll try but time is very hard for me...

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #566 on: 1 Mar 2010, 11:54 pm »
Do the modules come with detailed instructions or are you supposed to walk in the dark and guess by the wiring schematics?  Anyone has detailed instructions or actual photo walk through of the assembly?

I understand your fears.  Have you looked at the beginning of the thread?  There's quite a bit of pictures...
If you can read and have basic knowledge of electrical, you can do this.  It's REALLY easy. 

The other bonus is if you run into trouble, you contact Class D or just post on this thread with some pics.  You'll be fine.  Take your time and follow the instructions. 

wushuliu

« Reply #567 on: 2 Mar 2010, 12:01 am »

If you have a camera it may be easier to just buy the amp kit and start putting it together, post pics and we can walk you through it. Once you have it physically in front of you, with the wiring diagram and shadowlight's pics from earlier in the thread - it will all make sense.

6SN7

« Reply #568 on: 2 Mar 2010, 01:18 am »
Hmm. I wonder if this is an issue where the stock LED is sucking up too much current and/or the external LED is not getting enough. Perhaps better results could be obtained by selecting a different external LED with the right electrical characteristics to match the stock one?

I gave the specs of my LEDs to Tom and they seem to be just right.  Also, Steve informed me that he installed his without disconnecting the stock LEDs and there were no problems, so I don't know.  I'll just remove the stock ones and see what happens.
Bob

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #569 on: 2 Mar 2010, 01:49 am »
If you have a camera it may be easier to just buy the amp kit and start putting it together, post pics and we can walk you through it. Once you have it physically in front of you, with the wiring diagram and shadowlight's pics from earlier in the thread - it will all make sense.

Great idea!   :thumb:

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #570 on: 2 Mar 2010, 02:29 am »
Has anybody compared the 500w & 600w modules?

steve k

« Reply #571 on: 2 Mar 2010, 04:46 pm »
My new 250 case--the lady in red. A work in progress. I'm about ready to start installing components. This will have the same cherry faceplate and cherry feet as my first amp. I chose pegboard this time around for better ventilation. The toroid mounts vertically in front behind the face plate. Behind that the power supply board mounts on the bottom and the amp board mounts on a removable ventilated tray above that.

steve

« Last Edit: 11 Apr 2010, 01:38 am by steve k »

luckyrolls

« Reply #572 on: 2 Mar 2010, 05:21 pm »

I got my 250x2 kit together a couple of weeks ago, it sounds great however from what I have heard it should be dead-quiet but I do hear a low hum if I put the ear next to the drivers.  I can't hear it from more than about 2 feet away.  It is however, noisier than my Denon receiver.  I also have the noise if I hook up directly to my Squeezebox or from other inputs (TV/PS3).

It is not dependent on volume so Tom does not think it is an issue with the Amp and has offered to check it out if I send it back.  I wanted to see if anybody has any ideas of things to look at before I do that.

I am a complete novice at electronics and essentially did a poor job the first time I soldered.  I've got that down now and re-soldered all my connections. 

I have it on a board (waiting for that rumored case!) and have a power cord soldered directly to the transformer and fuse holder.  There were no RCAs on my board so I soldered some RCAs I got from PartsExpress to the hookup wire to the board.

I am driving Salk SongTowers and I have also tested it out on NHTs classics 3s with the same result.

Anyone have any ideas of things to try?  Do you think is impacting the overall sound?

Thanks,

Mark

steve k

« Reply #573 on: 2 Mar 2010, 05:50 pm »
Hum sounds like a ground problem. You might check your IC's and make sure they're no picking up extraneous noise from power cords they may be crossing. Are your IC's shielded? You could also try lifting the ground on the Class D amp witha cheater plug to pull it out of any ground loop you might have.
steve

Bemopti123

« Reply #574 on: 2 Mar 2010, 06:04 pm »
After seeing all of you people "doing" it, I could not keep out of the fray and got me a set of modules and some parts.  After I begin my complete odyssey, I will provide pictures for double checking before I risk it and my other gear from early electrical death due to novice stupidity. 

Can someone here who have decided to go with the chassis leds provide me with a LED parts list and counts, as well as good sources for them? 

Thanks. :thumb:

steve k

« Reply #575 on: 2 Mar 2010, 06:09 pm »
LED source already listed here:

jtwrace
Registered+

Lets make it!

Gallery
« Reply #522 on: 26 Feb 2010, 08:52 PM »QuoteLED's

http://www.mouser.com/Optoelectronics/LED-Indication/LED-Panel-Mount-Indicators/_/N-74ga2?Keyword=led&FS=True

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #576 on: 2 Mar 2010, 06:12 pm »

I have it on a board (waiting for that rumored case!)

Thanks,

Mark

:nono:  No such thing with me...I do what I say.   :D

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #577 on: 2 Mar 2010, 06:14 pm »
After seeing all of you people "doing" it, I could not keep out of the fray and got me a set of modules and some parts.  After I begin my complete odyssey, I will provide pictures for double checking before I risk it and my other gear from early electrical death due to novice stupidity. 

Can someone here who have decided to go with the chassis leds provide me with a LED parts list and counts, as well as good sources for them? 

Thanks. :thumb:

Great!  You'll enjoy it and we're here to help ya.    :)

Edit:  You're probably best off assembling the amp first and trying it before doing the LED's.  This way you'll not be overwhelmed at first.  Get it working and then modify if you wish.  Just my .002

luckyrolls

« Reply #578 on: 2 Mar 2010, 06:23 pm »
Hum sounds like a ground problem. You might check your IC's and make sure they're no picking up extraneous noise from power cords they may be crossing. Are your IC's shielded? You could also try lifting the ground on the Class D amp witha cheater plug to pull it out of any ground loop you might have.
steve

By shielding the IC - you mean the connection between the RCA Inputs and the hookup wires  - no I didn't.  What should I use to shield the connections?

Thanks for the help! 

steve k

« Reply #579 on: 2 Mar 2010, 06:24 pm »
No I mean the interconnects your using between your preamp and the D amp. Are they shielded cables?