$175 Class D amp--120 wpc

wushuliu

Re: $175 Class D amp--120 wpc
« Reply #540 on: 1 Mar 2010, 01:01 am »
Here's my 250w IR amp. I can't afford pricey enclosures so I got some baltic birch cut at Eagle Rock Lumber and Hardware (thanks Pat!) and did a little Rustoleum spray paint action. Drilled some holes for ventilation and LED glow.  8)  Pretty cheap (and cheerful!). :D

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #541 on: 1 Mar 2010, 01:21 am »
Here's my 250w IR amp. I can't afford pricey enclosures so I got some baltic birch cut at Eagle Rock Lumber and Hardware (thanks Pat!) and did a little Rustoleum spray paint action. Drilled some holes for ventilation and LED glow.  8)  Pretty cheap (and cheerful!). :D

I think your enclosure is SWEEEEET !!!    My bad never could spell worth a damn

wushuliu

« Reply #542 on: 1 Mar 2010, 01:43 am »
I think your encloser is SWEEEEET !!!

sounds like a CBS drama:

The Encloser

Bemopti123

« Reply #543 on: 1 Mar 2010, 03:33 am »
Do the modules come with detailed instructions or are you supposed to walk in the dark and guess by the wiring schematics?  Anyone has detailed instructions or actual photo walk through of the assembly?

pjchappy

« Reply #544 on: 1 Mar 2010, 03:41 am »
Here you go:

http://classdaudio.com/documents/transformer_115VAC_instructions.pdf

http://classdaudio.com/documents/70V_Manual.pdf

http://classdaudio.com/documents/TI_Amp_Connections.pdf

All from here:  http://classdaudio.com/index.php/manual/?___store=default

Plenty of info and pics in the previous posts, also.  I know people here and Tom from ClassDAudio would help you with any questions.

Paul

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #545 on: 1 Mar 2010, 03:41 am »
I asked the same question on page 26...

That's what some of us need... a couple of diagrams and some step-by-step instructions.  Thanks to Shadowlight for his help, that's what I'm talking about.

A wiring diagram, NOT SCHEMATIC, would be immensely helpful if not mandatory for people like me.  I know that I can put one together, but I just want something I can refer to and be assured it's done right.  I don't think I'm alone in this.

I hope that someone who has successfully built one of these amps will step up and help us "less tech savy guys."  That would be great!  :thumb:

pjchappy

« Reply #546 on: 1 Mar 2010, 03:45 am »
I'm no techy.  Those manuals seem pretty straight-forward to me.   :thumb:

Paul

steve k

« Reply #547 on: 1 Mar 2010, 03:53 am »
Here's my 250w IR amp. I can't afford pricey enclosures so I got some baltic birch cut at Eagle Rock Lumber and Hardware (thanks Pat!) and did a little Rustoleum spray paint action. Drilled some holes for ventilation and LED glow.    Pretty cheap (and cheerful!).

Another Christmas amp!! I like it! Very nice, classic and simple Wushu!
steve

nodiak

« Reply #548 on: 1 Mar 2010, 04:31 am »
Another completed 250 x 2 amp here.  :thumb: Followed avionics layout. From his pic, and a few others in this thread, along with the included instruction manual and sheets was clear how to put it together. But I did hesitate a little worrying about making a mistake. At first no sound, reread the manual and found the tiny on/off switch on side of amp board was off.  :lol:
Lost my camera so can't include pics or I would to help out you guys wanting more support. But don't get too worried, everything is straight forward and someone will answer your questions.
Sounds nice and clear, and I like having the power as recently got some nice 12" bass drivers that wanted more. Using widerange (Fostex 108ez) for mids and treble now but may work on a 3 way.
Thanks for the thread Steve.
Don

Oh, one thing. It interferes with my tv antenna reception - because I made a wood case. Might shield it or build metal one.

steve k

« Reply #549 on: 1 Mar 2010, 04:39 am »
Oh, one thing. It interferes with my tv antenna reception - because I made a wood case. Might shield it or build metal one.

Interesting. That's the first I've heard of that. I would pass that on to Tom so he knows. Congrats!! This is getting to be a pretty big circle of amp owners now. So far no complaints. We'll see. :thumb:

I got my box for the 250 assembled today finally. Just a little sanding, priming and painting and I'll be ready for assembly. Woo hoo! :dance:

steve

srb

« Reply #550 on: 1 Mar 2010, 04:55 am »

That was my first thought when I saw some were building wooden cases.  Having a linear power supply might produce less interference than if it had an SMPS, but there is still the possibility of interference generated from the high speed transistor switching of class D.

Steve

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #551 on: 1 Mar 2010, 01:11 pm »
So I drove up to Shadowlight's yesterday to hear his amp, he was driving his LS6s with it, I simply couldn't believe it possible with a diy kit, but there it was.

The Pumpkinking brought his unit as well, it may look like a kitchen drawer, but it should perform like Shadowlight's, which means it should kick butt.

Then he threw out a thought I can't shake, "what about building a pair of 500 watt monoblocks".

Now that's intriguing.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #552 on: 1 Mar 2010, 01:26 pm »
Then he threw out a thought I can't shake, "what about building a pair of 500 watt monoblocks".

Now that's intriguing.

That's what I'm doing!

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #553 on: 1 Mar 2010, 02:56 pm »
That's what I'm doing!

Will there be a seperate thread to document it?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #554 on: 1 Mar 2010, 02:57 pm »
Will there be a seperate thread to document it?

Probably not...I was just going to post some pics when I'm done.   :green:

firedog

« Reply #555 on: 1 Mar 2010, 06:17 pm »
Jtwrace-

What amplifier/power boards are you using?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #556 on: 1 Mar 2010, 06:19 pm »
Jtwrace-

What amplifier/power boards are you using?

I'm going to use the IR for this one.  I've got the TI as well....

6SN7

« Reply #557 on: 1 Mar 2010, 08:03 pm »
I'd like to pass on two important things I learned from Tom this morning:

1.  Since the various LEDs are part of the circuit, NEVER run the amps without appropriate LEDs in place.  If you plan on removing the stock LEDs as part of the external LED installation process, such as I'm doing, install the new LEDs before turning the amp on.

2.  It's OK to run the amps without a load on the outputs.  I want to turn my amps on to check switches and LEDs before screwing down the lids, so this knowledge will allow me to do that.

Bob

atroder

« Reply #558 on: 1 Mar 2010, 08:25 pm »
Is it ok/easy to add external LEDs in addition to the stock LEDs - for instance, wiring the external LEDs in parallel with the stock LEDs? I would assume that anyone building an enclosure might consider this, and it would be convenient if connectors or solder posts were available to accommodate.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #559 on: 1 Mar 2010, 08:27 pm »
Is it ok/easy to add external LEDs in addition to the stock LEDs - for instance, wiring the external LEDs in parallel with the stock LEDs? I would assume that anyone building an enclosure might consider this, and it would be convenient if connectors or solder posts were available to accommodate.

not an issue...there is a spot for them on the PCB.