$175 Class D amp--120 wpc

mr_bill

Re: $175 Class D amp--120 wpc
« Reply #360 on: 21 Feb 2010, 04:58 pm »
JKelly - nice build.

Does anyone have any comparisons ready - Wyred 4 Sound or other?

steve k

« Reply #361 on: 21 Feb 2010, 05:57 pm »
The Class D Audio 250 meets the Wyred4Sound STI-500 integrated amp.

Yesterday Kent J. hosted an amp comparison with my new modified Class D Audio 250 amp to compare it to the Wyred4Sound STI-500 integrated amp he has in for review. Both produce 250 wpc into 8 ohms. The W4S produces 500 wpc in 4 ohms while the Class D's Mosfets don't quite double down. We listened to the W4S first on his stock Maggie 1.6's and using his new Sony XA5400ES multiplayer which has a very nice internal DAC btw. We listened mainly to redbook CD's.

As a good comparison, we then listened to the Class D (dBop as I call it) using the W4S's internal preamp. After a  couple hours or so of this setup we switched to Kent's Dodd tube pre with the dBop.

There were three of us GASSERS who witnessed: Kent, Mark and myself. The overall consensus was the dBop sounded better. As Mark said, "It (the W4S) had better bass when used as an integrated, but it didn't match your amp's smoothness and musicality." Kent felt like the dBop was simply easier to listen to.

To me the W4S sounded more "electronic". It called more attention to itself and how it was reproducing the music. The highs were grainier, the mids weren't as warm and musical as the dBop's. The bass was about equal to me. The W4S produced fast tight bass with excellent control over the maggie's bass panels as did the dBop. With the W4S, however, I kept noticing things like a tad of sibilance on vocals or a bit of grittiness on cymbals--things that caught my attention that I don't hear in my system.

The dBop OTOH just seemed to get out of the way of the music and disappear. The sound was more natural, liquid and organic to the point that you quickly forgot about focusing on what the amp was doing and just immersed yourself in the music. I also noticed the soundstage to be a bit wider with the dBop to my ears.

As I said earlier, I'm a tube guy and adding some tubes into the mix with the dBop is the best way to go IMO. Running the dBop with the Dodd preamp took the sound up another notch. The sound was a tad fuller and richer with better instrumental timbers (all the things tubes do so well) without being overly euphonic or plump. The soundstage was a bit denser and wider.

Overall it was a fun session for all of us. I will say the W4S is extremely well built. The fit and finish was top knotch and it's built like a tank. I like the no-nonsense contemporary design and the phase flip function on the remote was interesting to play with. Mark was particularly emamored with that button.  :lol:

We listened mostly to acoustic music. Some of the tunes that I can remember were:

Tierney Sutton: Something Cool
KD Lang: Hymns of the 49th Parallel
Miles Davis: Someday My Prince Will Come Remastered
Palle Daniellson: Opening
Brian Bromberg: Wood
Jacques Loussier Trio: The Four Seasons
Rob Wasserman: various
Fiona Apple: Extraordinary Machine
The Corrs: Live in Dublin

unfortunately, we neglected to play some Julie London, who watched over the entire session.  :eyebrows:
steve  :thumb:

Kent and Mark

Mark channels Tierney Sutton

W4S on the medal podium as Julie looks on.

Running hte dBop through the W4S's preamp

the dBop on the medal stand

My amp with the supercharged heatsink. Funky speaker connections huh??? :o

Kent's rack

The Dodd and Sony
« Last Edit: 21 Feb 2010, 08:26 pm by steve k »

ebag4

« Reply #362 on: 21 Feb 2010, 06:03 pm »
Thanks for the report Steve.  Are you able to comment on how the 120 sounds vs. the 250?

Best,
Ed

steve k

« Reply #363 on: 21 Feb 2010, 06:08 pm »
I didn't bring it. Didn't seem fair to compare and amp half the power. Now that I have both in my system though, they definitely have very much the same sonic character.

mr_bill

« Reply #364 on: 21 Feb 2010, 06:21 pm »
Thanks Steve - the dbops look like a winner, as the W4S amps are highly regarded.
Thanks for sharing!

ebag4

« Reply #365 on: 21 Feb 2010, 06:25 pm »
I didn't bring it. Didn't seem fair to compare and amp half the power. Now that I have both in my system though, they definitely have very much the same sonic character.
Thanks Steve.  Fair enough, I wouldn't expect the 120 to keep up with the 250, especialy at higher demands.  I thought you may have driven your Maggies with both of them and could offer an opinion from that experience.

Thank again,
Ed

fredgarvin

« Reply #366 on: 21 Feb 2010, 06:29 pm »
Yes, thanks for taking the time to post, and for the pics. While looking at your amp-on-a-board, it occurs to me that one might place a cage over the top in a nice glossy black and have a nice amp. No need to enclose it in a box. I think I'm getting an idea!  :eyebrows:

pjchappy

« Reply #367 on: 21 Feb 2010, 06:33 pm »
Thanks, Steve!   :thumb:

Regarding the heatsinks, do you know if Tom is going to make that a regular option or will it be standard?  How much of a price increase?

Thanks,

Paul

steve k

« Reply #368 on: 21 Feb 2010, 06:36 pm »
Yes, thanks for taking the time to post, and for the pics. While looking at your amp-on-a-board, it occurs to me that one might place a cage over the top in a nice glossy black and have a nice amp. No need to enclose it in a box. I think I'm getting an idea!

I'll tell you one thing, if you use a cage, the PS blue LEDS will act as a lamp in your room. These things are like zenon headlights.  :thumb: If you stare directly down into them for any length of time, you will be permanently blinded! :o

I'd like to see your cage idea
steve

steve k

« Reply #369 on: 21 Feb 2010, 06:38 pm »
I thought you may have driven your Maggies with both of them and could offer an opinion from that experience.

I did but the way I have mine wired I can only biamp them. I did switch them around (120 on bass 250 on top) and other than the difference in bottom end impact, the sonic character was identical.

steve k

« Reply #370 on: 21 Feb 2010, 06:42 pm »
Regarding the heatsinks, do you know if Tom is going to make that a regular option or will it be standard?

Paul,
Tom added the additional heat sink material because I wanted to run the 250 watt/8 ohm amp into a 4 ohm load. My maggie bass panels are a tough load. He said the amp could do it, he just needed to dissipate the additional heat. After experimenting with additional heatsink bars, he ran this amp with two passive 4 ohm subs without a problem. The amp actually runs moderately warm under loud conditions. NO additional charge. I don't know if he's going to make this standard or not. Now that he's solved the problem though, it makes sense to make them all this way. You should ask him.
steve

pjchappy

« Reply #371 on: 21 Feb 2010, 06:43 pm »
Thanks again!

srb

« Reply #372 on: 21 Feb 2010, 06:45 pm »
I'll tell you one thing, if you use a cage, the PS blue LEDS will act as a lamp in your room. These things are like zenon headlights.  If you stare directly down into them for any length of time, you will be permanently blinded!

I have several components with blue LEDs, and anyone of them can perform Lasix eye surgery for free.

The wavelength is wrong for the human eye, they are all too bright, and all manufacturers who continue to use them need to be slapped.

Death to blue LEDs!

Steve

pjchappy

« Reply #373 on: 21 Feb 2010, 06:48 pm »
Death to blue LEDs!

I agree.  I like it dark when I listen and they are so damn bright!  I've been known to resort to a small piece of electrical tape as a temporary fix. 

ebag4

« Reply #374 on: 21 Feb 2010, 06:51 pm »
I did but the way I have mine wired I can only biamp them. I did switch them around (120 on bass 250 on top) and other than the difference in bottom end impact, the sonic character was identical.

Thanks Steve ! :thumb:

I am enjoying my 120 right now.  Thanks for bringing this amp to our attention.

Best,
Ed

srb

« Reply #375 on: 21 Feb 2010, 06:55 pm »
I agree.  I like it dark when I listen and they are so damn bright!  I've been known to resort to a small piece of electrical tape as a temporary fix. 

To cut Class D Audio some slack, his LEDs were never intended to be seen, and only the concept of a cage enclosure (or plexiglass or glass) would expose their evil hearts.

But to the rest of the manufacturers who put them on a front panel - you're officially on notice!

Just take these blue buggers off the market.

Steve

atroder

« Reply #376 on: 21 Feb 2010, 07:41 pm »
Steve K - thanks for the report - very informative and helpful.

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #377 on: 21 Feb 2010, 09:39 pm »
I been watching this post for 1 1/2 weeks and have decided
to give one a try. I might be asking some questions from time to time and I have not a clue
at times what you people are talking about but it looks like fun so please be patient. I have
dismantled an old NAD tuner that was dead and will use the carcass for the encloser, cost
was $8.00 at Salvation Army add apiece of oak or maple to front should look OK

steve k

« Reply #378 on: 21 Feb 2010, 09:54 pm »
Welcome all lurkers. Don't worry, we don't know what we're talking about either! :thumb: As many times as I've read how this amp works, I couldn't begin to explain it to someone else.  :scratch:
steve

earplay

• Do ya feel... lucky?
« Reply #379 on: 21 Feb 2010, 09:54 pm »
I've been lurking here since the beginning of this thread. Now, I feel compelled to buy one of these amps. So, I've got to find a suitable pre (tubed?) to drive it. Does anyone have a specific recommendation? I mean, is there some particuar electronic characteristic of the "dBop" that causes it to sound better with some particular kind of pre.   :scratch:

I've already been told by a well-informed person that using my passive pre is possible, but it would entail more futzing than I want to do.