$175 Class D amp--120 wpc

doug s.

• makin' music
Re: $175 Class D amp--120 wpc
« Reply #280 on: 12 Feb 2010, 01:49 am »
I received a box from Class D in today's mail. Should I open it?
no, it might explode - better send it to me, where i can get my buddies at the dept of state to check it out first.   :green:

doug s.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #281 on: 12 Feb 2010, 01:57 am »
O.K. Doug. Go wait by the mail box until it's delivered. Be patient because the weather has slowed the mail down somewhat. Thanks for being such a buddy.

Mariusz

« Reply #282 on: 12 Feb 2010, 02:02 am »
I am afraid that "Open Sesame" just won't do it.
(have fun)

Mariusz :thumb:

Nick77

« Reply #283 on: 12 Feb 2010, 03:03 pm »
Guys i replaced my Volex power cord on my 120amp with a very good diy cord. It has taken the amp to another level. I now have a level of detail and transparency that is certainly making me think twice about messing with any caps. These things seem to respond favorably to a good power cord. :eyebrows:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #284 on: 12 Feb 2010, 03:05 pm »
Guys i replaced my Volex power cord on my 120amp with a very good diy cord. It has taken the amp to another level. I now have a level of detail and transparency that is certainly making me think twice about messing with any caps. These things seem to respond favorably to a good power cord. :eyebrows:

I noticed that the amp responded well to my power conditioner.  Just think it's wise to make sure the power cord doesn't cost 3x of what the amp does.   :green:

wushuliu

« Reply #285 on: 12 Feb 2010, 04:03 pm »
I have the 250WX2 amp with the IR chip, and it is extremely responsive to changes (the pics earlier in the thread w/ the cap mods are from my board). I've changed the power cord, fuse and fuse holder (both can be had good and cheap from Acme) as well and all have clear effects. More so than w/ my previous amps. 8)

shadowlight

« Reply #286 on: 13 Feb 2010, 06:45 pm »
I finally got everything hooked up and when I plug the power in the plastic wrapper around the transformer is starting to melt?  Is that suppose to happen or did I just fry something?  Currently, the way that I have everything hooked up is with a two prong plug.  The left prong where the blade is wider is connected to the red wires on the transformers and the narrower prong is connected to the the black.  Do I potentially have the wires flipped and that is the reason for the plastic melting.

I already sent Tom a message but I figure I will try here also.

Thanks

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #287 on: 13 Feb 2010, 06:49 pm »
I finally got everything hooked up and when I plug the power in the plastic wrapper around the transformer is starting to melt?  Is that suppose to happen or did I just fry something?  Currently, the way that I have everything hooked up is with a two prong plug.  The left prong where the blade is wider is connected to the red wires on the transformers and the narrower prong is connected to the the black.  Do I potentially have the wires flipped and that is the reason for the plastic melting.

Thanks

NOT suppose to work that way.  How is the transformer wired to the power board?  The blue and green wires?  The red and black wires can be used with a two prong plug...the black wire goes to the brass screw.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #288 on: 13 Feb 2010, 06:51 pm »

Thanks
you definitely have the transformer mis-wired.  it may or may not still be ok, depending on how long it was plugged in.  i can't tell you the right way to wire it, but i know what happens when you wire it wrong...   :|

doug s.

steve k

« Reply #289 on: 13 Feb 2010, 06:58 pm »
The blue and green wire that are CLOSEST to each other coming off the tranny should be wired together to  the center terminal. You probably have the other blue and green wired together. I did the same thing.

shadowlight

« Reply #290 on: 13 Feb 2010, 07:11 pm »
you definitely have the transformer mis-wired.  it may or may not still be ok, depending on how long it was plugged in.  i can't tell you the right way to wire it, but i know what happens when you wire it wrong...   :|

doug s.

Less than 20 seconds is how long I had it connected. 

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #291 on: 13 Feb 2010, 07:24 pm »
Less than 20 seconds is how long I had it connected.
re-wire it correctly, (per steve k's instructions?), and it will hopefully still be ok...

doug s.

shadowlight

« Reply #292 on: 13 Feb 2010, 07:24 pm »
The blue and green wire that are CLOSEST to each other coming off the tranny should be wired together to  the center terminal. You probably have the other blue and green wired together. I did the same thing.

have the two center wires plugged into the ct, the outside wire is plugged into the ac-n and the outside green wire is plugged into to ac-l.  tom responded requesting pictures which i forwarded to him.

Just talked to Tom and he said everything is wired correctly and he thinks that there is a sort in the transformer.  He is shipping out a new one on Monday.

EDIT: The amp board (amber/yellow) and the power supply led's (blue) were on when I powered up the amp, which is what led Tom to believe there might be short in the tranny.
« Last Edit: 13 Feb 2010, 10:42 pm by shadowlight »

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #293 on: 14 Feb 2010, 01:17 am »
From the pics, it looks correct.  It makes sense that if the lights were on, it was correct.  Tom will take care of it...

Let us know how you make out when you get the new tranny.

shadowlight

« Reply #294 on: 14 Feb 2010, 03:37 am »
From the pics, it looks correct.  It makes sense that if the lights were on, it was correct.  Tom will take care of it...

Let us know how you make out when you get the new tranny.

Yep, he is shipping a new tranny on Monday.  I will most likely get it Thursday, since I am in NJ and Antek is in NJ also  :thumb:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #295 on: 14 Feb 2010, 01:45 pm »
Yep, he is shipping a new tranny on Monday.  I will most likely get it Thursday, since I am in NJ and Antek is in NJ also  :thumb:

If it ships from NJ on Monday you might have it Tuesday...Wednesday at the latest.

Nick77

« Reply #296 on: 14 Feb 2010, 01:50 pm »
If it ships from NJ on Monday you might have it Tuesday...Wednesday at the latest.
My trans came direct from Antek cause he was out of stock, maybe you should shoot him an email.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #297 on: 14 Feb 2010, 01:52 pm »
I think Antek ships direct to everyone..

Nick77

« Reply #298 on: 14 Feb 2010, 01:55 pm »
I think Antek ships direct to everyone..

Lol...... I thought normally the tranny came in the same box with amp kit.  :duh:

shadowlight

« Reply #299 on: 14 Feb 2010, 02:02 pm »

If it arrives on Tuesday or Thursday, it really does not matter since I am not going to get a chance to work on it until the weekend   :x