$175 Class D amp--120 wpc

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
Re: $175 Class D amp--120 wpc
« Reply #3280 on: 23 Apr 2012, 12:02 am »
What would happen if you presented the SDS-470 with a 16 ohm load?

In general, a higher ohm rating is easier for an amplifier to deal with than a low one, so I imagine it would be fine.

vinylb

« Reply #3281 on: 25 Apr 2012, 03:19 pm »
Forgive if this is not the right place to put it, but I decided to sell my CDA-254L kit and black par-metal chassis with connectors. Was thinking $200 plus fedex ground to your location. Any takers?

Barry_NJ

« Reply #3282 on: 25 Apr 2012, 03:47 pm »
Forgive if this is not the right place to put it, but I decided to sell my CDA-254L kit and black par-metal chassis with connectors. Was thinking $200 plus fedex ground to your location. Any takers?

You should put that here ---> http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=103.0

vinylb

« Reply #3283 on: 25 Apr 2012, 07:34 pm »
You should put that here ---> http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=103.0

Thanks Barry ! I posted it there.

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #3284 on: 26 Apr 2012, 11:40 pm »
SDS-450 amps up and running again with the revised boards. Sounding good and no heat issues thus far (left them running all night).

.Marcus.

« Reply #3285 on: 27 Apr 2012, 10:51 am »
SDS-450 amps up and running again with the revised boards. Sounding good and no heat issues thus far (left them running all night).

Look great ! It look like you use a mirror to take the picture  :wink:  I like that idea you make left / right positioning.

Regards

Æ

« Reply #3286 on: 27 Apr 2012, 07:48 pm »
In general, a higher ohm rating is easier for an amplifier to deal with than a low one, so I imagine it would be fine.

First off, how about if you term it more correctly. Higher impedance.

Sure, higher impedances are generally easier on an amplifier, but not necessairly better as far as frequency response and damping factor are concerned.
You'll find that some amps work 'best' into some specific load, probably depending on the output devices themselves.

Barry_NJ

« Reply #3287 on: 28 Apr 2012, 04:07 am »
First off, how about if you term it more correctly. Higher impedance.

Sure, higher impedances are generally easier on an amplifier, but not necessairly better as far as frequency response and damping factor are concerned.
You'll find that some amps work 'best' into some specific load, probably depending on the output devices themselves.

I responded with, "In general" and "I imagine"... How did you respond to the original question? I figure rajacat should really ask the designer...

CYoung234

« Reply #3288 on: 1 May 2012, 12:32 pm »
Hi all,

This is my first post on this board, so perhaps I should introduce myself. My name is Craig Young, and I have been searching for a new power amp for my system, which consisted of an Audible Illusions Modulus 2D preamp, a Counterpoint SA-220 power amp (now deceased ...) driving a pair of Apogee Centaurus ribbon hybrids. I am currently using a friends set of Bel Canto REF 1000M monoblocks to drive these speakers and am A/Bing them with my brothers Odyssey Stratos Plus Class A/B amp. Source is an OPPO 981 DVD / CD player as well as my home theater system which is driven by a Lenovo T61 laptop in a docking station. My listening environment is very sub-optimal, although it is potentially a very good room. It is not a dedicated listening room, however, and has too many hard surfaces (bare walls, no draperies, hardwood oak floor, etc.). It does have an 18 foot vaulted ceiling, and with some acoustic treatment would likely make a very good listening room.

My background is in music, and I was formerly a professional classical musician. I am currently working in electrical engineering, doing building power and lighting design.

I have done a bunch of reading on this board and others. I originally considered buying another used amp such as a set of Bel Cantos, but cannot currently justify the price. I am also not totally sold on B&O ICEpower modules. So, I began exploring a DIY project, as I have some DIY experience, and my twin brother has extensive DIY and design experience, and is willing to help out, or even to just build the whole thing.

I originally toyed with Hypex NC400, but the realization that the finished product would run ~2K caused me to turn in this direction. I have read this entire thread as well as everything I could find on diyaudio about ClassDAudio.

I spent some time corresponding with Tom yesterday to verify what amp he felt could drive my Apogees (84dB sensitivity and 5/3 Ohm nominal / minimum impedance). I also wanted to verify that my tube preamp, which has about an 1800 ohm output impedance, would work properly.

Based on my discussion with Tom, I placed an order this morning for an SDS-254 kit, minus power caps, which I am replacing with (6) 10,000 uF Panasonic caps. I will be using a Par-Metal 16 x 12 x 4 enclosure, and will use single ended RCA outputs from my preamp to drive balanced XLR inputs on the power amp. I will be building my own interconnect cables using (probably) Belden microphone cable.

Thank you all for your comments in this rather lengthy thread, and I look forward to posting listening impressions.

mboxler

« Reply #3289 on: 1 May 2012, 03:06 pm »
Welcome to AC, Craig.  I recently bought the same case to house two bridged SDS-224's, and really like the results.  I went with the RCA inputs on the amp.  Will you be wiring the 3 XLR pins staight to the amp, or will you follow something similar to the NC400 datasheet (wire pin 1 to case, wire case to amp)?  Either way, did Tom think the RCA to XLR connection would reduce noise???

Looking forward to your build.  Enjoy!

Mike

CYoung234

« Reply #3290 on: 1 May 2012, 04:57 pm »
Yes, I will build the RCA to XLR cables per either the RANE note (posted a number of pages back in this thread) or the Hypex NC400 doc. The pinout is the same. Shield is connected to pin 1 at XLR. XLR pin 2 is the signal at the RCA end and pin 3 at XLR connects to the RCA housing.

bruson2

« Reply #3291 on: 1 May 2012, 05:09 pm »
Hi all,

This is my first post on this board, so perhaps I should introduce myself. My name is Craig Young, and I have been searching for a new power amp for my system, which consisted of an Audible Illusions Modulus 2D preamp, a Counterpoint SA-220 power amp (now deceased ...) driving a pair of Apogee Centaurus ribbon hybrids. I am currently using a friends set of Bel Canto REF 1000M monoblocks to drive these speakers and am A/Bing them with my brothers Odyssey Stratos Plus Class A/B amp. Source is an OPPO 981 DVD / CD player as well as my home theater system which is driven by a Lenovo T61 laptop in a docking station. My listening environment is very sub-optimal, although it is potentially a very good room. It is not a dedicated listening room, however, and has too many hard surfaces (bare walls, no draperies, hardwood oak floor, etc.). It does have an 18 foot vaulted ceiling, and with some acoustic treatment would likely make a very good listening room.

My background is in music, and I was formerly a professional classical musician. I am currently working in electrical engineering, doing building power and lighting design.

I have done a bunch of reading on this board and others. I originally considered buying another used amp such as a set of Bel Cantos, but cannot currently justify the price. I am also not totally sold on B&O ICEpower modules. So, I began exploring a DIY project, as I have some DIY experience, and my twin brother has extensive DIY and design experience, and is willing to help out, or even to just build the whole thing.

I originally toyed with Hypex NC400, but the realization that the finished product would run ~2K caused me to turn in this direction. I have read this entire thread as well as everything I could find on diyaudio about ClassDAudio.

I spent some time corresponding with Tom yesterday to verify what amp he felt could drive my Apogees (84dB sensitivity and 5/3 Ohm nominal / minimum impedance). I also wanted to verify that my tube preamp, which has about an 1800 ohm output impedance, would work properly.

Based on my discussion with Tom, I placed an order this morning for an SDS-254 kit, minus power caps, which I am replacing with (6) 10,000 uF Panasonic caps. I will be using a Par-Metal 16 x 12 x 4 enclosure, and will use single ended RCA outputs from my preamp to drive balanced XLR inputs on the power amp. I will be building my own interconnect cables using (probably) Belden microphone cable.

Thank you all for your comments in this rather lengthy thread, and I look forward to posting listening impressions.

Some suggestions:
If your sources have volume controls, sell the Audible pre. Or buy a resistor stepped attenuator (It can have a switch between different sources) with one vishay in series for good sound and sell the Audible pre. (I used to have the  Audible Illusions Modulus 2B preamp then a CAT pre. They are both blurr machines.)

The SDS may have enough gain to make up for the lack of a pre. But with those insensitive speakers I'm not sure. Have Tom do the calculation.

Why not spend $20 more (you should get more than that for the pre) and get the SDS 258 and get twice the power and +3dB, sounds about twice as loud.

I've had 2 different pair of Ice amps, 200w and 1000W, both modded. My unmodded SDS 258 beats them easily.

Why run the inputs as a psuedo/quasi balanced line? Better sound? Or preparing for when you have real balanced input from a source?

CYoung234

« Reply #3292 on: 1 May 2012, 06:22 pm »

Some suggestions:
If your sources have volume controls, sell the Audible pre. Or buy a resistor stepped attenuator (It can have a switch between different sources) with one vishay in series for good sound and sell the Audible pre. (I used to have the  Audible Illusions Modulus 2B preamp then a CAT pre. They are both blurr machines.)

The SDS may have enough gain to make up for the lack of a pre. But with those insensitive speakers I'm not sure. Have Tom do the calculation.

Why not spend $20 more (you should get more than that for the pre) and get the SDS 258 and get twice the power and +3dB, sounds about twice as loud.

I've had 2 different pair of Ice amps, 200w and 1000W, both modded. My unmodded SDS 258 beats them easily.

Why run the inputs as a psuedo/quasi balanced line? Better sound? Or preparing for when you have real balanced input from a source?

Thanks for the suggestions. If you look closely at Audible Illusions, the Modulus 2D is significantly different from the 2B or 2C. I would have to respectfully disagree with you as to it being a "blur machine". I have used this preamp for the past almost 20 years and love it. I like the idea of a tube preamp with a class d power amp, but I will evaluate that over some longer time period before making a change.

As far as the SDS258, I talked to Tom about it, and he did not recommend it for my speaker (yes, I gave him the specs for them). He said this:

"Yes, the SDS-254 should drive your speakers just fine. I think with the ratings of these Apogee speakers, you should get about 200W MS up to 250W RMS from this amp.

I don't recommend the SDS-258 for these speakers as its not made to drive the loads these speakers are capable of. If you want more power, we do have the SDS-470 (not on our website) that is 300W RMS per channel."

In terms of running balance versus unbalanced, according to Hypex, for example, this arrangement benefits unbalanced sources almost equally to balanced sources. A number of posts on this board indicate that use of the balanced option improves soundstage and air in user systems here. Plus, the reality is that with the SDS-254 I can do either by simply removing a jumper or replacing it. Finally, it provides future proofing as well.

wushuliu

« Reply #3293 on: 1 May 2012, 06:30 pm »
Just to emphasize the importance of matching these amps to speakers I have put my spare CDA254 back into service with new speakers. The speakers are minimum 6ohm and >8ohm for most of it. Now I hear the 'glassy' treble some people complain about time to time. I never had this issue with my previous 2way speakers which were solid 4ohm. However this is in line with the IR2092 spec sheet that shows 8ohm speakers will have rising treble way past 20khz (up to 40 I think) with the default output filter. So make sure to get the amp that matches your speakers!

bruson2

« Reply #3294 on: 1 May 2012, 06:43 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions. If you look closely at Audible Illusions, the Modulus 2D is significantly different from the 2B or 2C. I would have to respectfully disagree with you as to it being a "blur machine". I have used this preamp for the past almost 20 years and love it. I like the idea of a tube preamp with a class d power amp, but I will evaluate that over some longer time period before making a change.

As far as the SDS258, I talked to Tom about it, and he did not recommend it for my speaker (yes, I gave him the specs for them). He said this:

"Yes, the SDS-254 should drive your speakers just fine. I think with the ratings of these Apogee speakers, you should get about 200W MS up to 250W RMS from this amp.

I don't recommend the SDS-258 for these speakers as its not made to drive the loads these speakers are capable of. If you want more power, we do have the SDS-470 (not on our website) that is 300W RMS per channel."

In terms of running balance versus unbalanced, according to Hypex, for example, this arrangement benefits unbalanced sources almost equally to balanced sources. A number of posts on this board indicate that use of the balanced option improves soundstage and air in user systems here. Plus, the reality is that with the SDS-254 I can do either by simply removing a jumper or replacing it. Finally, it provides future proofing as well.

I missed those posts about the balanced option with a jumper. I'll try it soon, thanks!

My speaker is and easy load 6-8ohms so a SDS254 makes more sense.

If you don't think your pre is a blurr machine try running your source straight in to an amp and play a quiet piece of music that won't harm your speakers. Then insert the pre and play the same piece at the same level. If there is no impedance mismatch the non-pre version should be cleaner and clearer sounding. Of course I could be wrong!

CYoung234

« Reply #3295 on: 10 May 2012, 06:09 pm »
Hi all,

Here are a couple of in progress pics of my SDS-254, in a Par-Metal 16x12x4 case. Also, I do have a couple of questions.

1.) My kit came with the Honeywell gain controls, but no mounting hardware or knobs. Is this normal? I have an email into Tom, but he has not responded yet.

2.) Any comments on this amp as to long term listening? Any fatigue or glare in the high frequencies noted with this? The information in this thread suggests that it is a very good sounding amplifier, but I thought I might be able to get some longer term comments.

Finally, This is a drawing of my layout.

mboxler

« Reply #3296 on: 10 May 2012, 07:02 pm »
Yep...no hex pot nuts or knobs.  I got my knobs from Radio Shack.  I bought a bunch of the nuts from Ebay.  If you have trouble finding them, you are welcome to PM me with your name and address and I'll mail you a couple.

Mike

Nick77

« Reply #3297 on: 10 May 2012, 07:11 pm »
No issues with long term listening, ive had my SDS254 for well over a year now.

What caps are you installing?

CYoung234

« Reply #3298 on: 10 May 2012, 08:17 pm »
No issues with long term listening, ive had my SDS254 for well over a year now.

What caps are you installing?

Thanks for the listening report - it is helpful, as the Bel Cantos I am using right now can be a bit fatiguing, and they have some mid-range suckout. Some of it is the listening room as I do not have enough dampening surface in it.

As far as caps, I am putting Panasonic (6) 10,000 uF TS-HA 63V caps in.

guest1632

« Reply #3299 on: 10 May 2012, 08:57 pm »
Hi all,

Here are a couple of in progress pics of my SDS-254, in a Par-Metal 16x12x4 case. Also, I do have a couple of questions.

1.) My kit came with the Honeywell gain controls, but no mounting hardware or knobs. Is this normal? I have an email into Tom, but he has not responded yet.

2.) Any comments on this amp as to long term listening? Any fatigue or glare in the high frequencies noted with this? The information in this thread suggests that it is a very good sounding amplifier, but I thought I might be able to get some longer term comments.

Finally, This is a drawing of my layout.

Hi, Sorry because I can't see your pics because of being blind, so I have one suggestion for you. Don't mount those pots in your case. I suggest you maybe use them just as a guide to figure out the level of where your amp to be, and then get some good quality 1% resistors if you can. The amp will sound better, so I read in these pages. For Example, a 1.2KOhm resistor will set the amp's level to the standard 27DB gain. If I do remember they are about 32DB gain at stock. So just something for you to think about. Those pots so I read aren't that good. So something to keep in mind.I hope this gets to you before you drill any holes in your case to mount those pots.

Ray Bronk