Greetings from Hong Kong!

modwright

Greetings from Hong Kong!
« on: 7 Aug 2008, 07:59 am »
Hi Guys, I am in HK and Shanghai from August 5th - August 17th.  I ran into Joe Kubala at the Tokyo airport also.

I am attending the A/V and HiFi show in HK in support of our HK distributor, NonStop Audio.  I am then visiting a friend in Shanghai after teh show and will be taking pictures and sharing my experiences here in this thread.

Thanks guys!

Dan

SCompRacer

Re: Greetings from Hong Kong!
« Reply #1 on: 7 Aug 2008, 09:00 am »
Hi Dan!

Kewl!  All your loyal customers expect post cards...or at least post a pic of one. :P  It's OK to get shangtied, but don't get shanghaied! :o

rydenfan

« Reply #2 on: 7 Aug 2008, 01:03 pm »
Hi Guys, I am in HK and Shanghai from August 5th - August 17th.  I ran into Joe Kubala at the Tokyo airport also.

I am attending the A/V and HiFi show in HK in support of our HK distributor, NonStop Audio.  I am then visiting a friend in Shanghai after teh show and will be taking pictures and sharing my experiences here in this thread.

Thanks guys!

Dan

Crazy how small the World can be sometimes! Glad to hear you made it over there. I look forward to your impressions of the show and the HiFi culture over there.

modwright

« Reply #3 on: 10 Aug 2008, 11:01 am »
The show is great and the Chinese are simply VERY gracious hosts and good people.  My distributor - NonStop Audio - has proven to be fantastic for us in China and HK and I have REALLY enjoyed my time here in support of them at the show.

Attendance at the HK AV/HiFi show is CRAZY.  It is much greater than I have seen at any other show, except maybe Munich.  I would say that the HK show has greater attendance than Munich however.  HiFi is alive and well and there is a GREAT selection of music in the records stores.  I was truly amazed at how much the Chinese appreciate music.

I have eaten great food, enjoyed many new cultural experiences and enjoyed meeting great people.  NonStop Audio is a company run by young, bright and talented people and I am very pleased to have their representation in China and HK.

I leave for Shanghai on Wed.  HK has been fantastic and Shanghai should be an even different cultural experience yet as Mainland China and HK ARE different places.  HK is a very worldly and diverse city where much business is done worldwide.  I will share my experiences in Shanghai.  I have a friend that I will be visiting there and his assistant will be helping me with the language barriers, etc.  I am looking forward to this also.

I wish that I could just post pictures directly to these posts, as I have a number of good ones, but they are not linked to a site.  I will get that sorted out and will share photos soon.

Thanks guys!

Dan

modwright

« Reply #4 on: 13 Aug 2008, 02:21 am »
Off to Shanghai today.  I will share my impressions from Mainland China soon.  Great trip to HK and when I get home, it is full-court-press on the amp to production.

Thanks,

Dan

jwes

« Reply #5 on: 13 Aug 2008, 01:33 pm »
Hi Dan,

It sounds like your trip has been amazing.  You are certainly there when they're on their best "hosting" game, great timing!  :thumb:

I was wondering if/when you get a couple of minutes if you could share a couple of thoughts on your new amp.  I have your Transporter and am clearing the way for the 2 box 36.5.  So I've been thinking about amps, including the W4S monos, and Ampzilla monos of all things have popped up.

But I was curious about yours.  Essentially, why are you building a traditional technology (A, B I think) solid state amp, and is there anything different about it?  The reason I ask is that I see you really like the Wyred 4 Sound, and you are also a tube magic man.  So my guess would have been that you might have gone in one of those directions.  If appropriate, I'd love to hear your thoughts behind building an A/B solid state amp.  Also, just for kicks, I currently have a 4 ohm, 88 db speakers and would like an amp that can drive those now, but also be appropriate later for a higher efficiency speaker such as the Emerald or the Zu Presence...  Are there anticipated specs written anywhere?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you'd like to share...

kmmd

• 5 mos.= My VAC is back - now silver w/phono
    • Systems
« Reply #6 on: 13 Aug 2008, 08:11 pm »
Hi Dan,

Glad to hear that you're having a great trip.  Hope you had a lot of dimsum in HK and "share tables."  Be sure to have a lot of dumplings and noodles in Shanghai.

I'm looking forward to your amp in order to bi-amp my Maggies.  :thumb:

Ken

kenreau

« Reply #7 on: 13 Aug 2008, 09:19 pm »
Hi Dan,

Very happy to read your China/HK circuit tour is going well.  I wondered how the hi-fi shows participation would be impacted by the Olympics. 

Do you have a MWI Amp prototype you are showing in HK/China?  Or are you just refering to the next product we can look forward to in the near future? 

Best regards,
Kenreau

JerryH

« Reply #8 on: 14 Aug 2008, 06:55 am »
Hey Dan

Glad to hear you're there. HK is a great place for your talents. It's a really vibrant audiophile scene. Did you go to Sham Shui Po while there? That's where all the electronics are. You'll love Shanghai too.

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #9 on: 14 Aug 2008, 01:45 pm »

Thanks guys!

Dan

Wow, amid the Olympic frenzy!  Good for you.

modwright

« Reply #10 on: 16 Aug 2008, 05:00 pm »
Hi guys, I am sitting in the Airport 'Lounge' at 1AM HK time, killing time before my 8:30AM flight.  In lieu of a hotel room, they have what they call a lounge at the HK airport where you can get a shower, food, Wifi access, comfortable chairs and tables, new and sports on TV's and a cash bar for alcohol also.  Considering the time of year, for the cost of a Motel 6, it is a much better way to spend a night in an Airport than sleeping on a bench and preferable to paying $300+ for a hotel room that you will only spend about 6 hours in.

Anyway, just returning from Shanghai to the U.S., via Tokyo.  HK is fabulous and my distributor took me and his guys to excellent restaurants, massage and just in general were a lot of fun and VERY gracious hosts....Sorry guys, the massage was strictly 'G' rated, NOT 'special' massage aa.

I did bring the first prototype of the new amp, that was shown on static display at the show.  We JUST about had it working to our satisfaction, but not quite before I left, so we brought it for show at least.  My distributor arranged four separate interviews with HK, UK and Chinese press and our LS 36.5 is on the cover of the current issue of HK's HiFi Review!

Shanghai was a different experience once again.  Here I visited an American friend who teaches at the MBA program for a University in Shanghai.  He and his assistant were also VERY gracious hosts and showed me around town and we visited a number of HiFi stores also, to see how High End audio is sold in China.  There is a VERY vibrant interest in High End Audio in both HK and mainland China and it was very good to see!

I am sure that many of you have traveled to Asia already, but for those who haven't, I can only say that it is a unique and very special place.  The cultural differences between East and West are vast, and this makes the travel very interesting.  I will definitely return to Asia as soon as possible.

Design work on the amp is proceeding full-speed-ahead upon my return, as is production of LS 36.5's, PS 36.5's and Transporters as we fill back-orders.

We will of course have the new amp at RMAF in Denver and the ModWright room will be even better this year.

Thanks guys!

Dan

AB

« Reply #11 on: 17 Aug 2008, 01:26 am »
Asia trip sounds pretty sweet but you know what would be really sweet?

Pics of the new amp...

:thumb:

modwright

« Reply #12 on: 20 Aug 2008, 12:51 pm »
Okay, pics of the new amp :).  I hear ya! I need to get my blog on the new MWI site working, so that I can put the photos up there and then link them here.  You can also email me directly at modwrigh@yahoo.com and I will send some prelim. shots of the proto.

Thanks and take care,

Dan

funkmonkey

« Reply #13 on: 22 Aug 2008, 05:55 am »
Sounds like a great trip, Dan.  Never been to HK, but I've been to Japan a few times.  If i could find work there, I would move in a heartbeat.  I too am anxious to see the pics of the new amp...  Safe travels.
Cheers
-Greg