Build a $6K 2channel turntable setup

sleepkyng

Build a $6K 2channel turntable setup
« on: 8 Dec 2018, 12:45 am »
friend wants to surprise her husband with a new 2 channel turntable setup.

US based couple in LA

he's not a huge hifi person, but appreciates good taste and just came into a large vinyl collection.

i suggested we pick the TT first, and we've started with an LP 12 but I'm open to other suggestions.

they want something with a classic but not gaudy look. they're not a fan of the whole open-tube situation either. so i think SS etc makes more sense.

she's also thinking BOOKSHELF over floor standers.

$6K is the total budget for this so:
TT
Amps / Phono
Speakers
Connects

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

UPDATE:
after consideration - she wants an all-black style setup but with a traditional style base - Regar Planar 6 etc...
the stereo setup is going on a banquette which is right up against the wall... and it's about 2 feet deep, 3 feet high and about 10ft wide.
« Last Edit: 10 Dec 2018, 07:31 pm by sleepkyng »

PierreB

Re: Build a $6K 2channel turntable setup
« Reply #1 on: 8 Dec 2018, 01:26 am »
For me it will be a Rega Planar3 with an Elys2, a Simaudio Ace integrate amp and a pair of Harbeth P3-ESR. And maybe a pair of Kimber Kable speaker cable.
But there are lots of choice.

toocool4

« Reply #2 on: 8 Dec 2018, 01:38 am »
Not sure what the price of this lot are in America but I would pick the following

Rega RP10 Turntable with cartridge

Sugden A21 Class A integrated with built in Phonostage

Kef LS50

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #3 on: 8 Dec 2018, 01:51 am »
I would put $2K-$2.5K to speakers, $1500-$2000 for TT and the rest for an Integrated Amp and phono preamp.

I would consider these Monitor Audio Gold monitors, especially if she does not want to use a subwoofer.  Plus they look great and are fairly easy to drive at 88db.

https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MRGS100

Also consider offerings from B&W, Sonus Faber, Elac Adante, Revel, KEF.

This Music Hall MMF-7.3 with Ortofon Bronze Cartridge or maybe a warmer sounding cartridge like a Hana depending upon the speakers.

https://www.needledoctor.com/Music-Hall-MMF-7-3-Turntable?quantity=1&custcol124=16

Other TT's Pro_Ject Classic SB, Marantz TT-15S1, Clear Audio Concept, VPI Scout

This Lounge Audio Phono preamp got a stellar write up in Stereophile a few months ago (LCR MKIII).   A friend of mine bought one and loves it. It is very musical, has a full rich and smooth sound.   He  runs it with a $2K TT and $1K cartridge.  It can be had in a Silver version for about $200 more.  I am going to buy one in the next few months.

https://www.loungeaudio.com/hi-fi

Integrated amps-

Cambridge Audio 851a, Nuprime IDA 16, or a Classy looking Peachtree Nova 300 in Rosewood with built in Phono preamp.

https://www.peachtreeaudio.com/nova300-amplifier-with-dac.html

Can't argue with the other recommendations, all great!  Especially Rega and Harbeths which are one of my favorite speakers, forgot all about them.

Folsom

« Reply #4 on: 8 Dec 2018, 02:17 am »
Ehh, will post more in a minute, I think there may be some much better options than first ideas.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #5 on: 8 Dec 2018, 02:31 am »
Is that Marantz Reference turntable decent?

Folsom

« Reply #6 on: 8 Dec 2018, 05:34 am »
Ok here's a few builds.

1. iFi Retro system: It has everything you could ever need built in, and comes with some LS3/5a speakers. That's pretty f'ing hard to beat for a small system. You just need cables and a TT. This is a nice option just for the fact they probably want to keep it simple. I choose the Ortofon 2M PNP because it requires no setup for them to deal with. I should mention the LS3/5a does very well on a bookshelf/against a wall.

iFi Retro system: $2149
Gem Dandy TT: $1795
Ortofon 2M Blue PNP mkII : $282
Ghent Audio Canare RCA: $21
Ghent Audio Canare Speaker Cables: $61

$4308.00

2. Bamberg NAD: This one interest me a fair amount. The idea here is to combine an extremely well designed speaker that doesn't cost a lot, with a warmer amp to suit the the desires of non-audiophiles. The speakers are not fancy looking, but they're great. They are sealed so they can bookshelf reasonably well. The NAD is pretty nice, and has a good phono stage. But this isn't too classic looking.

Bamberg 2 TM: $895
NAD - C 388: $1,599
TWL Twelve Plus: $249 (5ft with 24k gold Schuko)

Total: $4902.00

3. PeachTree Salk: This one has some looks with custom wood finish speakers and PeachTree's nice look. The speakers also front fire slot port so they can work with shelves.

Salk WOW1, if you wanted a custom finish, and a front firing port (slot). $1295
PeachTree nova300: $1999.00

Total: $5702.00

These options consider there may be some shipping charges. They may also want to invest in one of these record cleaners. And spend the rest on some Kallax shelves from Ikea to put records on. They'll probably want the Gem Dandy's cover to, for like $49.

dpatters

« Reply #7 on: 8 Dec 2018, 11:32 am »
Those are some great suggestions :thumb:

Don P.

twitch54

« Reply #8 on: 8 Dec 2018, 01:25 pm »
Folsom really nailed some gems, nice job ! .....  :thumb:

zuluwarrior0760

« Reply #9 on: 8 Dec 2018, 08:42 pm »
being in CA, they should look to Kevin Deal @ Upscale Audio

I'm in Oklahoma and have bought stuff from him for years with nothing
but great experiences.

He's considered the nation's tube guru, but he also is one of the
most complete non tube audio dealers out there.    He gets deals
no other audio stores get because of his buying power, and he just
built a new 10 thousand square ft showroom outside LA

If I was shopping for THIS with him, I would select:

KEF LS50 Bookshelfs (no better one out there anywhere, Stereophile Class A!) 999.00 a pair, regularly 1299

NAD C388 Integrated, list 1500 (he will make you a deal)  Add the 300.00 Bluesound card and you have
world class Tidal streaming, so he can hear all the other music out there not in that Vinyl Collection.....

VPI Prime Scout turntable (considered the best buy on a turntable out there currently) list 2299
He actually bought his own special edition table with upgraded arm and finishes along with the 20 lb platter upgrade
and it would be worth doing if you can get a great deal)

Cartridge: Ortofon 2M Bronze (no brainer, no MC stage required, NAD amp already set up for it), best MM out there.....440 list

I think you should be able to get all this for under 5K, and the upgraded turntable you should be able to get for
well under 6K, then just add cables and you're set......

6 grand shouldn't be spent on internet or review buys.....invest in developing a relationship with a dealer, where you can
hear this stuff and rely on his experience.  Kevin is really one of the most respected dealers in the entire country, the fact
he is in your back yard would make it a no brainer for me.  Go put your hands and ears on some of this stuff.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=Xt7JWZMeNJg

Folsom

« Reply #10 on: 8 Dec 2018, 09:33 pm »
KEF LS50's have a rear port. These people will probably literally put a bookshelf on a bookshelf... Just saying...

WGH

« Reply #11 on: 8 Dec 2018, 10:05 pm »
Another option inspired by the powered speaker thread, I think this combo would sound much better than the NAD, Peachtree or any other of the numerous affordable integrateds are capable of.

KEF LS50 wireless  $1999 - The LS50 Wireless features Tidal Streaming, is a Roon endpoint providing the ultimate in flexibility and connectivity, and is compatible with all music streaming services.
https://www.kefdirect.com/speaker/flagship-hi-fi-speakers/ls50/ls50wireless-powered-music-system.html

Van Alstine Fet Valve CF RB preamplifier with built in Vision Q phono preamp $1,345
https://avahifi.com/collections/used-demo-and-quick-ship/products/fet-valve-cf-rb-preamplifier-with-built-in-vision-q-phono-preamp

Any of the turntables mentioned above.

zuluwarrior0760

« Reply #12 on: 8 Dec 2018, 10:52 pm »
KEF LS50's have a rear port. These people will probably literally put a bookshelf on a bookshelf... Just saying...

Bookshelf placement shouldn't automatically eliminate the LS50s.  Even on a bookshelf, there is usually
opportunity to move forward and create a little bit of air if the monitor is small enough......

Having said that, if sealed is desired, my choice would be the Tannoy XT6 revolutions or the Focal Aria 906.....

toocool4

« Reply #13 on: 8 Dec 2018, 11:32 pm »

No one in their right mind put’s a stand mount speaker on a bookshelf, well only if they are clueless or don’t care about sound quality.

Folsom

« Reply #14 on: 8 Dec 2018, 11:33 pm »
My experience is that non-audiophiles want to fight physics to the point of nearly wanting you to lie to them. They also usually want to spend $300 and get the world. This is a rare exceptionally lucky opportunity to get some nonnies into appreciating real music again. I wish threads like this came up more often.

Folsom

« Reply #15 on: 8 Dec 2018, 11:34 pm »
No one in their right mind put’s a stand mount speaker on a bookshelf, well only if they are clueless or don’t care about sound quality.

Exactly whom is buying... which makes the LS3/5a pretty ideal. It is meant to be near reinforcement.

toocool4

« Reply #16 on: 8 Dec 2018, 11:37 pm »
The OP states "friend wants to surprise her husband with a new 2 channel turntable setup."
No need for stuff that does everything else, besides the more functions you put in at this low price the worse everything will sound. Simple is best.

toocool4

« Reply #17 on: 9 Dec 2018, 12:02 am »

At this price point why would anyone waste money on power cables? All the money should be going into getting the best equipment available for the money, cables, tweaks etc are what you spend money on when you have done everything else.

JoshK

« Reply #18 on: 9 Dec 2018, 12:48 am »
I wouldn't waste a red cent on cables except for maybe the requisite tonearm cable if you can't/won't roll your own.  Put the money into speakers and a budget heavy weight table setup and then the rest into an [integrated] amp within budget.  Enjoy and then tinker (maybe) later.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #19 on: 9 Dec 2018, 12:54 am »
At this price point why would anyone waste money on power cables? All the money should be going into getting the best equipment available for the money, cables, tweaks etc are what you spend money on when you have done everything else.

I could not agree more.  The OP wants classy looking gear that sounds very good and looks good.   Blue Jeans terminated speaker cable and IC's by AQ or BJC's are the way to go.  Put the money into the gear.  A good set of speakers, good TT and integrated amp.  These people are not audiophiles.

Hence my recommendations.  The options are many :D