Build a $6K 2channel turntable setup

twitch54

Re: Build a $6K 2channel turntable setup
« Reply #20 on: 9 Dec 2018, 12:55 am »
At this price point why would anyone waste money on power cables? All the money should be going into getting the best equipment available for the money, cables, tweaks etc are what you spend money on when you have done everything else.

agreed 100%, for the life of me I will never fathom the 'audiofool' mentality .............

Folsom

« Reply #21 on: 9 Dec 2018, 01:30 am »
At this price point why would anyone waste money on power cables? All the money should be going into getting the best equipment available for the money, cables, tweaks etc are what you spend money on when you have done everything else.

They want to spend $6k. They aren’t fooling around. A power conditioner would be advisable but at best a warmish cable will help them love it all the more. A power conditioner is probably beyond thei tolerance of gear to use. All of my builds come in under the price limit. Could you be more practical? Who gives a shit, this is a gift that is meant to please - they are clearly laying down enough to make it worth it, 99% of people would consider literally everything else I listed as not practical before disqualifying the very idea of $6k being totally absurd for a stereo.

Blue Jean Cable IC’s are absolute shitty ass garbage. The connectors ruin your RCA jacks, they fail often, and sound like shit.

All the cables I listed will make clear audible improvements. They are good enough for a $40k stereo.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #22 on: 9 Dec 2018, 02:01 am »

Blue Jean Cable IC’s are absolute shitty ass garbage. The connectors ruin your RCA jacks, they fail often, and sound like shit.

All the cables I listed will make clear audible improvements. They are good enough for a $40k stereo.

Thats why I recommended BJC speaker wire and AQ  IC's which are decent.  But I agree, warmer sounding cables will make it more enjoyable for most people.

JoshK

« Reply #23 on: 9 Dec 2018, 02:52 am »

links to sources backing up your hyperbole?

Folsom

« Reply #24 on: 9 Dec 2018, 03:47 am »
links to sources backing up your hyperbole?

My trashcan has no URL. I tried the Koolaid, total waste of time and money.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #25 on: 9 Dec 2018, 04:58 am »
Fun proposition.  If I were doing this today, I'd purchase the following items.  Non-audiophile, with elegant looks and a luxurious sound. Might require negotiating prices or buying a piece used to meet the price.

Leben CS-300 integrated:
https://www.stereophile.com/content/leben-cs300-integrated-amplifier

Airtight AL-05 speakers:
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/air-tight-bonsai-al-05-mini-monitor/

Mobile Fidelity turntable and phono stage:
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/mofi-electronics-ultradeck-turntable-and-studiophono-phonostage/

Folsom

« Reply #26 on: 9 Dec 2018, 05:14 am »
I dig the Leben look. Nice call. Is it tube? I thought it was SS but maybe I’m wrong? I see info on it that looks unfamiliar?

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #27 on: 9 Dec 2018, 05:36 am »
It is tube, but not visible and auto biased for (mostly) hassle free use.

toocool4

« Reply #28 on: 9 Dec 2018, 10:08 am »
I have not seen the OP chiming back in yet?

Anyway I always advice people to take their own music and go and listen for themselves and pick what sounds best to their own ears, always take other people’s advice with a pinch of salt.
I hope the OP will be taking his friend to try things out for herself as she is the one that has to live with it.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #29 on: 9 Dec 2018, 08:00 pm »
Fritz speakers might be a good option. I had great sound with a Project Experience TT and Blue point special cartridge before I upgraded to an SME, so maybe consider the Project classic and get the speed box.

sleepkyng

« Reply #30 on: 10 Dec 2018, 06:23 pm »
hey sorry - fun weekend project repairing the roof put me offline for a bit.

these are fantastic suggestions - thank you all so much - seriously this is super helpful.

also, i haven't been back to audiocircle in years, good to know the cable debate rages on ;)

i'm going to lay out a few of these options for her and report back!

sleepkyng

« Reply #31 on: 10 Dec 2018, 06:32 pm »
ok quick update - she's not into the "non-traditional" style TTs - ie the Gem Daddy or the Scout.

I think she's leaning stylistically to something like a wood Sota Moonbeam etc.

Delta77

« Reply #32 on: 10 Dec 2018, 06:42 pm »
Just about any Tektons would work. They range from $1000 to $3000..
Tekton "standard" Impacts  $2000 ,  Enzo 2.7 - $2000 pair delivered , Seas Pendragon $1980 pair delivered...
Rega  p3 - Ortofon M2 Black - $1500
Decware -  MODEL SE34I.5 $1800
Cullencable - all cables $500 - $800
maybe add a sub
Tekton - 12" Brisance - $850 delivered

Total  -  $6,000
         -  $7,000 with sub

Add a DAC (Shiit "GUMBY") and a streamer (Apple TV4) for the same money as the TT and you will have Endless amounts of songs to choose from..
Honestly I would get the streaming set up before the TT..
Waaaay more conveinent ..

I'm about to give up on my TT setup.. Just too much work to keep them clean, not to mention you have to flip the Record every 15-20 minutes..
It's nice to have but ...

sleepkyng

« Reply #33 on: 10 Dec 2018, 07:04 pm »
I'm about to give up on my TT setup.. Just too much work to keep them clean, not to mention you have to flip the Record every 15-20 minutes..
It's nice to have but ...

oh believe me i'm in the same boat!

but this is a specific build for a friend's wife. I think they will have a separate system for all the non-vinyl listening.

sleepkyng

« Reply #34 on: 10 Dec 2018, 07:28 pm »
Update again:

after consideration - she wants an all-black style setup but with a traditional style base - Regar Planar 6 etc...

the stereo setup is going on a banquette which is right up against the wall... and it's about 2 feet deep. Plenty wide though (8 ft).

vinyl_lady

« Reply #35 on: 10 Dec 2018, 07:37 pm »
Take a look at the Project line of traditional, black TT. I prefer them to the Rega, but YMMV.

Folsom

« Reply #36 on: 10 Dec 2018, 07:39 pm »
Too bad about the Gem Dandy, as it is kinda in a class of it's own for the price.

But I have a superb solution for you! A professional restored Thorens by someone who's been around for awhile doing it. The important thing to note in my opinion is that the tonearm accepts universal mounts so you can use the plug and play Ortofon cartridge I recommended that doesn't need setup.

Thoren's restored, beautiful.

You can even buy spair springs and belts from him. They've never got out of style. I don't think anything compares in the price range like Music Hall etc.

Folsom

« Reply #37 on: 10 Dec 2018, 07:42 pm »
Update again:

after consideration - she wants an all-black style setup but with a traditional style base - Regar Planar 6 etc...

the stereo setup is going on a banquette which is right up against the wall... and it's about 2 feet deep. Plenty wide though (8 ft).

Poop. Ok, well then Obviously the Bamberg NAD would work great.

Really too bad the Gem Dandy is "too out there".

I'll look at black TT's for a minute. Try to find one with universal mount arm...

sleepkyng

« Reply #38 on: 10 Dec 2018, 07:43 pm »
Take a look at the Project line of traditional, black TT. I prefer them to the Rega, but YMMV.

Yes! My first TT was a pro-ject. Still miss it.

Too bad about the Gem Dandy, as it is kinda in a class of it's own for the price.

But I have a superb solution for you! A professional restored Thorens by someone who's been around for awhile doing it. The important thing to note in my opinion is that the tonearm accepts universal mounts so you can use the plug and play Ortofon cartridge I recommended that doesn't need setup.

Thoren's restored, beautiful.

You can even buy spair springs and belts from him. They've never got out of style. I don't think anything compares in the price range like Music Hall etc.

It's funny you mention this TT - I was just looking at it and thinking of it. I've always wanted to hear a really well remade Thorens.

I think though, given the update, she's moving away from "classic" to more "black and simple"

It's been a wild ride so far trying to build this !

Also, Folsom - she loves the NAD. I'm having trouble figuring out where to buy the Bambergs tho.

She really needs a front ported or sealed speaker setup imo if they're gonna be basically right up against the wall. And something really forgiving -think the NAD is a good choice for amp in that regard.

Folsom

« Reply #39 on: 10 Dec 2018, 07:56 pm »
Contact Phil direct for Bamberg speakers.

In the future it'll be annoying to setup a new cartridge perhaps, but the ClearAudio blacked out is a nice option. Just buy a GeoDisk with it for in the future when a new cartridge will be used.