BUGLE2

hagtech

BUGLE2
« on: 8 Feb 2013, 06:19 pm »
The second generation BUGLE2 is being launched on Kickstarter:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1907446723/bugle2-a-diy-phono-preamp

Hopefully we get enough backers to fund it.  Order yours now!  The low introductory pricing won't last long.

jh

galyons

Re: BUGLE2
« Reply #1 on: 8 Feb 2013, 08:05 pm »
Hi Jim,
Will you offer a board only 1/2 kit?

Cheers,
Geary

Charles Xavier

« Reply #2 on: 8 Feb 2013, 09:08 pm »
Can we get the fully assembled one in clear plastic ?

neatokino

« Reply #3 on: 8 Feb 2013, 11:01 pm »
Just put in a pledge.  Hope it funds up quickly.  Can't wait to hear how this one sounds!

contium

« Reply #4 on: 8 Feb 2013, 11:03 pm »
Dang it! I'm in the middle of a Bugle 1 and PS build. Sounds like this would have been cheaper and way easier. Oh well.

hagtech

« Reply #5 on: 8 Feb 2013, 11:53 pm »
I'm probably going to keep this as a "full" kit, although the price will likely go up to $129 or so.  That is, if my kickstarter funding is successful.  I am also offering it fully assembled in clear plastic. 

I hope this works out, because I think there is a generation of kids out there who are getting into vinyl who need a way up.  It's our job to embrace them, as they have the same passion we do.  They are going to look to us for knowledge and support.  And as much as they may want to dis' us in other areas - it won't be here - not after they hear how much better your sound systems are, anyway.

I've already started on the design of the next kickstarter project.  A new UFO!  The problem has always been the machined case.  I could never get the price down to where it needs to be.  However, if I do the same thing and get a custom plastic mold made, I could sell them for close to $100.  So I have a 3D designer coming up with sketches.  If project #1 works, then we'll make a 3D printed prototype.  Of course, the final product may use clear plastic, because we know how cool it is to see our own DIY work when finished. 

jh

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #6 on: 12 Feb 2013, 10:19 pm »
Will the kit include the MC gain stage or will that be an extra? Is it an either/or, or is there a switch ?

I wouldn't have thought that most bugle buyers have lomc cartridges, but I'm the first to admit I know very little.

hagtech

« Reply #7 on: 13 Feb 2013, 06:26 pm »
The design is capable of MC operation as-is.  You just need to increase the gain of the first two stages by using different resistor values.  And of course I left a spot to insert cartridge loading.  No switch.  Heck, there isn't even a power switch.

jh

izerbi

« Reply #8 on: 18 Feb 2013, 11:36 am »
Hi, a couple of questions here. Does the universal power supply comes with the diy kit (which i ordered)? Can the bugle power supply be adapted to the bugle2? Also, i use the bugle for mc operation and as everyone knows there is a bit of noise with this gain, will the bugle2 be quieter at 60db gain?
Thank you

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #9 on: 18 Feb 2013, 07:01 pm »
Jim!

Love the video. I am happy, I e-mailed you about Uturn Audio and how they got their start using Kickstarter. Good luck to you and I am sure the Bugle 2 will Kick Ass!

Best,
Anand.

hagtech

« Reply #10 on: 20 Feb 2013, 05:17 am »
Yes, the universal supply comes with the kit offered on KICKSTARTER.  Yes, you can easily modify the BUGLE2 to use the original power supply (just need to remove the rail splitter chip).  Using the LM4562 on the input stage lowers noise a bit, so MC use becomes quite reasonable. 

jh

kc8apf

• Are you sure what side of the glass you're on?

WireNut

« Reply #12 on: 23 Feb 2013, 11:30 pm »

kc8apf

• Are you sure what side of the glass you're on?
« Reply #13 on: 24 Feb 2013, 03:22 am »
Looks like the Kickstarter funding has been met.  I'm looking forward to my kit.

galyons

« Reply #14 on: 24 Feb 2013, 04:01 am »
Yeah!!  :D  Now I go into impatient mode!  :nono:

Cheers,
Geary

WireNut

« Reply #15 on: 24 Feb 2013, 04:30 am »
 :beer: Congrats Jim  :thumb:

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #16 on: 24 Feb 2013, 10:39 pm »
The Kickstarter got a mention on CNET:

Will we still be able to purchase direct from the manufacturer, or do I need to find my crutchfield account info  :thumb:  (tongue in cheek compliment)

Seriously though, congratulations!

WireNut

« Reply #17 on: 1 Mar 2013, 12:21 am »
Hi Jim,

When do you anticipate shipping Bugle2's out ?
Are you building them now?

hagtech

« Reply #18 on: 1 Mar 2013, 08:11 am »
After the project closes, I'll place the order for the plastic cases.  I forget what the lead time is - maybe a month or two.  The rest of the parts are in stock.  Oh wait, I'll have to order a large batch of boards too.  The ELITE versions will ship early.  The kits will go out in April or May.  Assembled units probably May.  I will try to deliver in the order of pledge received.  That is, early backers get early delivery. 

jh

Brinkman

« Reply #19 on: 8 Mar 2013, 02:10 am »
Just ordered a Bugle2. For no other reason than to join the fun.