Let's talk about Subs

BGA

Re: Let's talk about Subs
« Reply #20 on: 20 Apr 2024, 08:20 pm »
Do you have box speakers and NX-otica in the same room?

Yup, I have my box speakers and subs behind my screen, when I watch movies I move my NX-Oticas and OB subs. My room isn't overly large so I can't place the NX-Otica's for both. I get the best of both worlds but have to move some stuff.

BrandonB

« Reply #21 on: 20 Apr 2024, 09:57 pm »
Love the "Quad Squad." Six would be the "Hexadragons." 

I have three dual subs, so should I call them, "Triple Doubles?"

I likey the Hexadragons.

BrandonB

« Reply #22 on: 20 Apr 2024, 09:59 pm »
What's crazy is when you consider the number (and quality) of the drivers in the GR Research OB speakers, it really dwarfs the other commercial options out there.  I very rarely see speaker systems as big as NX series and when I do they are all north of $100k. 

Heck, just look at what we are talking about here - towers of servo controlled 12" bass modules.  Very rare to see anything like that at all with commercial offerings, and when you do it's very very expensive.
100k Just blows my mind.  That is the price of a small house.  Well it was a few years ago.

BrandonB

« Reply #23 on: 20 Apr 2024, 10:01 pm »
I agree with this. If you try to use sealed subs with the fast responsive drivers of the NX-Oticas, it sounds very sloppy. I’ve tried mine with a pair of real good Rel subs and it just doesn’t cut it compared to the OB doubles. It’s a totally different sound and experience. The sealed subs kind of ruin it all, it’s better without subs at that point IMO.
I am glad you said that.  I was thinking about getting some sealed subs while I built the others.

BrandonB

« Reply #24 on: 20 Apr 2024, 10:03 pm »
Mating sealed subs with the NX series is criminal.

What's more important to you -- music or movies? You gotta pick one. If music, then grab as many OB servo subs as your room can handle. For movies, a couple of 15" sealed subs are all you need.
Definitely music.  My listening room is in the TV room.  My plan is to put some sealed subs in the room and turn them on when watching movies.

BrandonB

« Reply #25 on: 20 Apr 2024, 10:05 pm »
I’m using sealed 15 inch subs with NX-Oticas for now. I think I’m missing out on the full experience, though the setup still sounds better than any of my previous speakers. Damn you guys, now I think I need to break down and finally order double troubles or triple threats, hm not sure which yet.

You need to go for the Hexadragons....lol

Glady86

« Reply #26 on: 21 Apr 2024, 03:10 am »
 Can a person start with just one triple? Plus I only have 16 inches of space on the outside of the speakers back side wing. I can move them closer together, but the way they’re positioned now gives the best overall sound.

I’m not ready to dump the full 4 grand on woofers.

Or could I run one triple laying on its side in between the speakers?

BrandonB

« Reply #27 on: 21 Apr 2024, 04:08 am »
Can a person start with just one triple? Plus I only have 16 inches of space on the outside of the speakers back side wing. I can move them closer together, but the way they’re positioned now gives the best overall sound.

I’m not ready to dump the full 4 grand on woofers.

Or could I run one triple laying on its side in between the speakers?
Danny had mentioned to me about running two doubles on their side between the two mains. 

Glady86

« Reply #28 on: 21 Apr 2024, 04:32 am »
Danny had mentioned to me about running two doubles on their side between the two mains.

I was thinking to start with on triple and maybe add the second later on. Just not sure if 13 foot wide room is wide enough to get optimal performance from the woofer towers.

BrandonB

« Reply #29 on: 21 Apr 2024, 04:40 am »
I was thinking to start with on triple and maybe add the second later on. Just not sure if 13 foot wide room is wide enough to get optimal performance from the woofer towers.
Give Danny a call and he can help you figure it out.

Early B.

« Reply #30 on: 21 Apr 2024, 11:33 am »

I started with a single double trouble for budget reasons. My room is also 13 ft. wide and I'd put Quad Squads in there if I could.

Glady86

« Reply #31 on: 21 Apr 2024, 02:13 pm »
I started with a single double trouble for budget reasons. My room is also 13 ft. wide and I'd put Quad Squads in there if I could.

Do you have the stacks on the outer sides of the speakers? I’ll probably do triples, just start with one and add the second later.

Early B.

« Reply #32 on: 21 Apr 2024, 10:23 pm »

Do you have the stacks on the outer sides of the speakers? I’ll probably do triples, just start with one and add the second later.

This is what my speakers & subs look like:

BrandonB

« Reply #33 on: 22 Apr 2024, 11:33 am »

Interesting.  You just swap your subs out depending on what you are doing?

Early B.

« Reply #34 on: 22 Apr 2024, 03:23 pm »
Interesting.  You just swap your subs out depending on what you are doing?

No. This is my 2-channel system with three dual subs instead of two triples. 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #35 on: 22 Apr 2024, 03:25 pm »
No. This is my 2-channel system with three dual subs instead of two triples. 

So the 3 woofers on the right are all wired together and the 3 woofers on the left are all wired together?

Early B.

« Reply #36 on: 22 Apr 2024, 03:47 pm »
So the 3 woofers on the right are all wired together and the 3 woofers on the left are all wired together?

No. Each sub has an A370 amp.

Tyson

« Reply #37 on: 22 Apr 2024, 03:51 pm »
Ah, the A370 can output stereo?  I didn't know that.  Very cool.

Early B.

« Reply #38 on: 22 Apr 2024, 04:14 pm »
Ah, the A370 can output stereo?  I didn't know that.  Very cool.

No. I have one amp on the left output and two amps on the right output using a splitter. If there's a better way to hook them up, please let me know.

Tyson

« Reply #39 on: 22 Apr 2024, 04:19 pm »
I was just thinking that if you wired the 3 woofers together on the right, you could use a single amp for the right. 

Then wire the 3 woofers together on the left and use a single amp for those 3.

Like this: