Veracity of the Month - the ones I just received!

Randy

« on: 17 Nov 2005, 10:02 pm »
These are HT-1s in macassar ebony with claro walnut baffles.  There's one like it on the special edition gallery. I don't have the capability to post photos.  Maybe Jim could do that, but the photos he e-mailed me a few days ago don't do them justice.

They sound great.  There seems to be plenty of bass for my tastes so I may never hook up my subwoofer.  Very satisfied with how they deal with classical vocal and piano which makes up a large part of my listening, and with orchestral music there are details I've never heard before.  I had some question about brightness, but there is no trace of it.  The sound is extremely well balanced.

Anyway, everything everyone has been saying about these speakers is true, in spades.  Thanks, Jim.

jsalk

« Reply #1 on: 20 Nov 2005, 04:21 am »
Randy -

Thanks for the kind words - much appreciated.  Here is the pic I sent you.

I had this outstanding piece of claro walnut for a while and decided to use it for a front baffle.  I thought it would look great with macassar ebony.

I actually built these a year ago, but a client had borrowed them while I was building his speakers.  I never even had a chance to photograph them or actually finish them at the time.

He took quite a while to decide on veneer, but when he eventually made a decision, I got these back and finally had a chance to finish them.

I'm glad you like them because they are among my all-time favorites.

- Jim

Gordy

« Reply #2 on: 20 Nov 2005, 04:36 am »
Beautious Jim, beautious!!!  You're one very lucky dog Randy.   What are you using for stands?  What are you using for spotlights for that matter :lol:

pugs

« Reply #3 on: 20 Nov 2005, 12:21 pm »
Holy crap!  Those pictures don't do them justice?  I"m getting HT3's with macassar ebony veneer and claro walnut baffles.  I hope they look as good as those.  Hey Jim, I like that veneer.  The walnut is more than beautiful.

jermmd

« Reply #4 on: 20 Nov 2005, 02:30 pm »
Nice. The Claro Walnut is spectacular. I'd like to see a set of speakers with that finish all around.

jsalk

« Reply #5 on: 20 Nov 2005, 05:56 pm »
jermmd -

Quote from: jermmd
Nice. The Claro Walnut is spectacular. I'd like to see a set of speakers with that finish all around.

Stay tuned...

- Jim

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #6 on: 20 Nov 2005, 06:11 pm »
Stunning finish Jim. The baffles are drop dead georgous. What did you finish them in? They look like mirrors.

Nice job.

jsalk

« Reply #7 on: 20 Nov 2005, 06:16 pm »
Quote from: Response Audio
Stunning finish Jim. The baffles are drop dead georgous. What did you finish them in? They look like mirrors.

Nice job.

Thanks.  I am standardizing these days on spray lacquer.  I have developed a good mixure of satin and semi-gloss that works well for a satin-like finish.  I also use gloss lacquer and rub it out to either a satin or high-gloss finish. These were gloss lacquer rubbed to a satin finish.

- Jim

asull2k

« Reply #8 on: 21 Nov 2005, 08:39 am »
FINALLY!  Pics of the finished product!  Awesome work as always Jim.. I was wondering when we'd see pics of that work-in-progress :)

To date, it is still by far the prettiest piece of woodworking I've ever seen on a speaker.  At all price levels.

Good luck with the move!
--Alan