Plastic nut speaker terminals ALSO Using spade terminals with AVA amps ?

Waynefi

Are there any upgraded speaker terminals available, other then the standard plastic nut ones ?

Also the overall look of the rear of the amps, at least that have a picture, do not look practical for use with Spade Terminals ? I usually like to put the spade into the speaker terminal from the top. With the heat fins in the way that would not be possible. Yet it also looks that they are so low/close to the shelf that there is no room to come into the terminals with spades from the bottom ?

Thanks,
Wayne

avahifi

Although many of our clients use spade lugs as speaker wire termination, we really prefer and recommend high quality banana plugs, such as the ones offered by Bluejeanscable.com.  They can provide relatively inexpensive and foolproof locking banana plugs that make very solid connections and never risk coming loose or damaging speaker terminals as some do by using a pipe wrench to try and tighten spade lug connections.

Frank

alexscotti

I bend my spades to a right angle and connect from the bottom.

Big Red Machine

Put the amp up on blocks to change the approach angle from below so spades will fit.

Wayner

I have mine on hockey pucks......They are good for something.....

Big Red Machine

There's probably a Don Rickles joke in there somewhere...

jk@home

Are there any upgraded speaker terminals available, other then the standard plastic nut ones ?

Also the overall look of the rear of the amps, at least that have a picture, do not look practical for use with Spade Terminals ? I usually like to put the spade into the speaker terminal from the top. With the heat fins in the way that would not be possible. Yet it also looks that they are so low/close to the shelf that there is no room to come into the terminals with spades from the bottom ?

Thanks,
Wayne

I've also been a big user of spade connectors, years in the HVAC trade taught me that it was the best / tightest removable connection out there. I diy my cables, usually use Audioquest crimp-on spades.

When I started using KEF LS50 speakers, I had a hard time keeping spades tight on their binding posts, for whatever reason. So when I upgraded the speaker cable to the present ones, tried some BJC locking bananas, and crimp-on Audioquest BFA bananas. IMHO, preferred the BFAs, they have stayed on tight, and do not move around in the posts (even when the BJC were locked on, they still pivoted around slightly, due to the locking mechanism being on the tip of the connector). And the BFAs have less mass than the locking type. You will need decent crimpers, google "13H898".

https://www.musicdirect.com/connector-upgrades/audioquest-crimp-bfa-bananas-set-of-4

Brett Buck

\  They can provide relatively inexpensive and foolproof locking banana plugs that make very solid connections and never risk coming loose or damaging speaker terminals as some do by using a pipe wrench to try and tighten spade lug connections.

I agree with the banana plugs. I know why people use wrenches with cheater bars, monkey wrenches, etc, on spade lugs - because they come loose incessantly otherwise. To get a solid connection, you have to put enough torque on it to stretch the metal of the post slightly. Otherwise it gets loose. The larger the diameter of the post, the more torque it requires. Of course the lugs themselves are usually massively oversized for the terminal, so many times they won't fit properly anyway.

When checking out other people's system problems, I perpetually find them loose, with one leg stuck through the hole and the other free, and of course, the terminals damaged or twisted off completely from the use of the aforementioned cheater bar. Even sticking the bare stripped wire through the hole is better - except for the fact that the grossly oversize wire won't go through the hole. I long since gave up trying to talk people into replacing their 8-gauge "magic speaker wire" with  75 cents worth of zip cord. Apparently the smaller diameter won't hold enough magic.

The only way to resolve it (other than just use banana plugs like a grownup) it to bend the arms of the spade lug out of plane. A small bend in each leg will permit a bit of spring tension to provide enough give in the system to remain reasonably tight without having to crank down on it like it's a NASCAR lug nut.

Brett