monitor vs floorstander

oskar

monitor vs floorstander
« on: 11 Oct 2010, 11:10 pm »
Hello all, I've been snooping around AC for awhile and have become quite intrigued with Omega. The Super 6 Alnico in particular have caught my eye.
What do you think is a better way to go - monitor or floorstander? I listen mostly to rock, Lyle Lovett, Elvis C. Bob D. B. Marley, and so on. For the difference in price one could certainly scoop a pretty classy sub. Like deep hemp. Or is the integration of a sub more problematic. I'm not a bass head nor do I listen at exaggerated levels so is the XRS enough? My current speakers supposedly reach into the mid 30's but I feel sometimes I'm missing something below that. The foundation; it is rock music.
Anyway just trying to feel my way along. I appreciate any reply.

Louis O

Re: monitor vs floorstander
« Reply #1 on: 12 Oct 2010, 10:26 pm »
Hi oskar,

Many thanks for your post and it sounds like you may want the bass or foundation.

In this case I would go with the monitor and sub combo.

Thanks,
Louis

oskar

« Reply #2 on: 13 Oct 2010, 10:19 pm »
thanks for that. i guess I was really asking if monitor owners are using a sub. I hear that Omegas are fast and accurate speakers. I reason that you'd need sub that's equal to the speaker; or get the XRS. My question about the bass might be better addressed by how the speakers interact with room. No room treatment here. Still a work in progress.

Louis O

« Reply #3 on: 13 Oct 2010, 11:50 pm »
Hi oskar,

Many thanks and the sub is very fast. The integration is not a problem at all. They are made for this application.

If you want pure single driver, I would go with the XRS version. They have the bass and the all important midbass. The balance is very linear. The XRS version is both sealed and vented so you can have a choice in placement and integration in your room.

Thanks,
Louis

MerRev

« Reply #4 on: 14 Oct 2010, 03:57 pm »
hi Oskar,

I have a pair of the Super 6 floorstanders and the bass really can really sock you when you least expect it.  Macassar Ebony and they are a beautiful finish.                         
           merrev

ricardojoa

« Reply #5 on: 14 Oct 2010, 04:55 pm »
hi Oskar,

I have a pair of the Super 6 floorstanders and the bass really can really sock you when you least expect it.  Macassar Ebony and they are a beautiful finish.                         
           merrev
When you mean bass, does that include midbass. I think midbass is very important to music, it gives an extra texture to it. But it can also mud the sound.

Louis O

« Reply #6 on: 14 Oct 2010, 10:15 pm »
Hi MerRev,

Many thanks for the great post and they do that. It's shocking at times.

Hi ricardojoa,

I agree and mid-bass is most important. The alnico motor has texture in spades and the speaker is fast. They really let go of the note. Good mid-bass is the key to a great balance higher up.

Thanks,
Louis

oskar

« Reply #7 on: 15 Oct 2010, 01:49 pm »
hi Oskar,

merrev

Thanks merrev, that's what I'm talkin' about. The 'man where did that come from' thing. Too much emphasis how deep speakers can go. I'll take articulate anytime. In my case I believe it's my room that's the problem. In some areas the bass is really there but as I move around (which I tend to do while listening) it gets a bit thin. I hear that Omegas are easy to place. Does that mean the lower frequencies are more evenly distributed as well? And as a cabinet maker I'm pleased to know the care that Louis puts into his work.

MerRev

« Reply #8 on: 15 Oct 2010, 03:36 pm »
I haven't played with positioning as much as would like to but I noticed early on I really liked nearfield listening.  It seems they like to be goosed a little and my preference for them is to be paired with a full bodied higher powered amp.  My 2A3 amp was really nice sounding on the Super 6's as well though & I could easily see a SET amp being the amp of choice if you listen at lower levels or in a small room.   

Bryan Pape from GIK Acoustics lives close by and a few years ago he brought over some bass traps for the front corners of my room.  I was astounded at the improvement. 

Merrev

Louis O

« Reply #9 on: 15 Oct 2010, 10:52 pm »
Hi oskar,

Thanks and I agree. I like fast and articulate the best.

The speakers are easy to place and they can be sealed or vented which really helps in room. The bottom port does help a lot.

Hi MerRev,

I couldn't agree more about the room treatment. I see a lot of people put a lot of money in cables and I would use most of this cash on room treatment.

The GIK is very good. It's funny how the speakers like high power too.

Thanks,
Louis

oskar

« Reply #10 on: 16 Oct 2010, 01:16 am »
Hi oskar,

Thanks and I agree. I like fast and articulate the best.

The speakers are easy to place and they can be sealed or vented which really helps in room. The bottom port does help a lot.

Hi MerRev,

I couldn't agree more about the room treatment. I see a lot of people put a lot of money in cables and I would use most of this cash on room treatment.

The GIK is very good. It's funny how the speakers like high power too.

Thanks,
Louis
"It's funny how the speakers like high power too."

Well that is interesting. My speakers are said to be 90db sensitive. Now on my mighty little Virtue amp with the volume at 10:00 - 11:00 o'clock I get plenty of sound on newly mastered disks. Finding the right volume can be just a tick up or down. One concern I have with Omega is their 93db rating.
As I understand that 3db difference is alot. Does that mean i'd be looking for the right level around 9:00? Maybe it's different with separates, I don't know. Although I've read from some Virtue owners that the combo is simply killer. It's what led me here.
Merrev I take it that you have bass traps now. Do they need positioning or do you just stick 'em in corners?
Kinda drifted from away from my original question.

Louis O

« Reply #11 on: 18 Oct 2010, 11:02 pm »
Hi oskar,

Thanks and the Virtue packs a punch. I have one too and and like it a lot. The synergy is great.

I don't think that you will be at 9 o'clock and you will have flexibility with the volume control. Volume controls vary in the amount of gain they let out. Some come on very strong and other are more linear.

Thanks,
Louis

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #12 on: 26 Oct 2010, 03:58 am »
Louis's speakers are very efficient, Virtue also  and I consider them both friends. You could not do better than either one as I have two Virtue systems and two Omega systems and I want one more of each! Virtue monoblock and  my friend Louis XRS 6 Supers.
We need to trust these guys who know their products so well to talk us down to earth..