Subwoofer for my Super Alnicos?

sruffle

Subwoofer for my Super Alnicos?
« on: 6 Dec 2015, 08:11 pm »
All.  I am really enjoying the Super Alnico Decware SuperZen Select combination.  I am considering trying the Deep 8 sub but am very limited in placement options.  If you look at the picture below, the only option for placing the sub is to the right of my speakers (under the TV where the baskets are).  Two subs is not an option as  this is our living room and my wife would not go for it.

The listening chair is pulled up to about 10 feet away when doing serious listening.  The space is very open (35 feet to the back wall of the room behind the listening chair.

Given the layout of this room and the spot where it needs to be placed, does this look like a sub could be cleanly integrated into my system?  Thanks in advance for any comments

TEA FOR ONE

Re: Subwoofer for my Super Alnicos?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Dec 2015, 09:49 pm »
The placement of the sub would probably work. Is it the best spot???? Sometimes we must make compromises! However, my only concern would be an 8" sub might get a little lost with the size space you are dealing with.

hdrider

« Reply #2 on: 6 Dec 2015, 10:03 pm »
sruffle- I have an Omega 8'' with a pair of 7XRS and I think it would work out fine with your speakers. I will take some time to break in and also get the balance right. Talk to Louis, he won't steer you wrong. Happy listening, Chris.

sruffle

« Reply #3 on: 6 Dec 2015, 10:40 pm »
The placement of the sub would probably work. Is it the best spot???? Sometimes we must make compromises! However, my only concern would be an 8" sub might get a little lost with the size space you are dealing with.

Thanks to all for the comments.  The impact of an 8 inch sub in a big room is a question I wonder about.  I imagine it will definitely have an impact but it is not going to be subterranean. My biggest concern is getting it integrated well.  I thought about trying to go with a cheaper sub but my guess is that the Deep 8 would give me the best shot at a seamless full range sound.

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #4 on: 6 Dec 2015, 11:25 pm »
You probably won't want to given your nice stands, but you could have your monitors each sit atop a sub of whatever size you want. 

I can't quite make out the detail in the back, but another possibility is sub(s) on top of that black console.  They couldn't be very tall though, obviously.

Yet another idea is to use one or more subs as end tables if the layout allows.

.......Peter

sruffle

« Reply #5 on: 7 Dec 2015, 12:15 am »
You probably won't want to given your nice stands, but you could have your monitors each sit atop a sub of whatever size you want. 

I can't quite make out the detail in the back, but another possibility is sub(s) on top of that black console.  They couldn't be very tall though, obviously.

Yet another idea is to use one or more subs as end tables if the layout allows.

.......Peter

The end table idea would let me go with more than one sub but the WAF would really come into play if I proposed that.

pstrisik

« Reply #6 on: 7 Dec 2015, 12:23 am »
The end table idea would let me go with more than one sub but the WAF would really come into play if I proposed that.

You can make the cabinets quite pretty with real wood veneer (more $$ of course).  Down firing so no driver or grill visible.  Tempered glass on top, etc. 

jorgen

« Reply #7 on: 7 Dec 2015, 11:13 am »
Bare with me on this one, i know asked and answered, but what is the pros and cons in the choice of 2 8"subs or one of the 12" from omega?

pstrisik

« Reply #8 on: 7 Dec 2015, 03:03 pm »
Bare with me on this one, i know asked and answered, but what is the pros and cons in the choice of 2 8"subs or one of the 12" from omega?

Hi Jorgen,

I don't do the calculations, but I think two 8" is greater driver area than one 12".  Should get greater gain.  Most importantly, less room problems with two subs making a smoother response curve more likely.  Also the option to run them stereo.

........Peter

maxima95

« Reply #9 on: 7 Dec 2015, 03:29 pm »
The output from 1 sub would of course contain information from the L & R channels summed - and would not match the information coming out of each channel indivldually.  With 2 subs, it would.

This could be more noticeable if the sub was connected via speaker level vs. line.   If via line, it would depend upon the crossover point where the mains are rolled off and the woofer kicks in.

srb

« Reply #10 on: 7 Dec 2015, 03:30 pm »
I don't do the calculations, but I think two 8" is greater driver area than one 12".  Should get greater gain.

Effective cone or piston diameter is usually smaller than the nominal frame size of 8" or 12", but based on those numbers, 2 x 8" = ~ 100 in² and 1 x 12" = ~ 113 in².

So it's close, with a possible slightly larger cone area for the single 12", but as Peter points out, the dual 8" can probably give a smoother overall room response.

Using the same amplifier in each, the total power is double for the two 8" vs the single 12".  Interestingly, the frequency response is the same for both (28Hz - 160Hz).  So if you have the extra room and placement options and can afford the additional 20% in cost, the dual 8" subs seem like the way to go.

Steve

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 7 Dec 2015, 05:44 pm »
I will let the cat out of the bag.....in part at least.  Louis has a 12" front firing sub.  It's a departure from the standard subwoofer "look" with a very shallow (depthwise) cabinet.  My choice would be to put one smack in the middle on the floor between your speakers.  His new plate amp also has variable phase control so can be dialed in more precisely than a 0/180 switch.  Being this sub is sealed and has a flat cabinet, it would be so easy to put it between your speakers and have all drivers on the same plane.  I will try to get it up on the website hopefully today or tomorrow.

kbuzz3

« Reply #12 on: 8 Dec 2015, 02:52 am »
Re the new subwoofer and As the kids say:kewl

sruffle

« Reply #13 on: 8 Dec 2015, 03:01 am »
Thanks to all for the comments.  That new subwoofer sounds like it might be just the ticket.  That is a very cool idea.  I am looking forward to seeing a picture and getting the specifications

Assuming that it is not too deep, this design seems like it would fit perfectly along the front pane of the speakers. 

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 8 Dec 2015, 06:42 am »
Hi Scruffle,

Here it is, the speedTWELVE :thumb:  http://omegaloudspeakers.com/speedtwelve.html

Ultralight

« Reply #15 on: 8 Dec 2015, 07:00 am »

ryanmartinson

« Reply #16 on: 8 Dec 2015, 11:49 am »
Boom! That is cool.

sruffle

« Reply #17 on: 9 Dec 2015, 02:03 am »
Very nice.  I bet it would really add something to a system and would be easy to integrate really well.   I would still have to get clearance from the wife to place one more large prominent object in our living room!

stlrman

« Reply #18 on: 9 Dec 2015, 08:37 pm »
Can you explain the shape ? Almost every subwoofer I have ever seen is square. Thanks

roscoe65

« Reply #19 on: 9 Dec 2015, 09:37 pm »
Can you explain the shape ? Almost every subwoofer I have ever seen is square. Thanks

It is rectangular.