New Speakers

milford3

New Speakers
« on: 13 Apr 2014, 06:25 pm »
New money coming in.  Tax refund.  Either the Omegas super fives or the Hoyt-BedFord type 1 monitor?  I live in a large apartment.  Input needed as to which Omega is better for my  environment.

http://www.hoytbedfordspeakers.com/type1monitor.html

FireGuy

Re: New Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 13 Apr 2014, 07:02 pm »
New money coming in.  Tax refund.  Either the Omegas super fives or the Hoyt-BedFord type 1 monitor?  I live in a large apartment.  Input needed as to which Omega is better for my  environment.

http://www.hoytbedfordspeakers.com/type1monitor.html

Nice.  My windfall usually goes to tires or taxes.  I can't speak for the Hoyt Bedford line but I can tell you the RS5 driver is the real deal.   Hopefully Louis can articulate some sonic and design differences.  Either way I think both are outstanding.

Capt. Yossarian

« Reply #2 on: 14 Apr 2014, 02:00 am »
Instead of the H-B type 1 -- go with the Omega Super 3S. You'll probably spend more by the time you get the required stands, and you'll get a slight bit more bass with the Super 3S's than with the H-B type 1's.

I run my Super 3S's in a room 26 x 18 x 8 --- with an 8 wpc Dared 2A3C integrated amp --- and I've found that it totally fills the room. The sound is just beautiful -- my source material is all CD's -- clean and smooth, with a deep and wide soundstage and plenty of detail. My music mix is about 50% classical (choral, solo, orchestral, etc.), 30% jazz (solo and small combo) an 20% classic rock. The vocals are beautiful, as are massed strings --- everything. Everything I've thrown at it sounds just 'right.' You can't go wrong with these speakers.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 14 Apr 2014, 09:21 pm »
milford3,

I totally agree with FireGuy and Capt. Yossarian.  The Super 3S or 3XRS are what I usually recommend as being the perfect place to begin with Omega, or single driver speakers for that matter.  All Omegas and Hoyts I have heard are masters at imaging, but the 3XRS is the best imager of all the models I have heard.  The Super 3S will still be a superb imager but will go deeper in the bottom end than the 3XRS.   Also, no stands to buy with either of these models.  If you have 22-24" stands, the Super 5 Monitor would be my first choice for a monitor in the RS5 based range.  It has the same internal cabinet volume as the Super 3XRS.

Compared side by side, the Super three XRS has equal if not better bottom end than the Hoyt-Bedford Type 1.5 tower, so you know it will beat the Type 1 in the bottom end.  It goes without saying what the 3S will do in the bottom end compared to the Type 1.  If you like a more laid back, warmer sound, with an ethereal image, the Hoyt-Bedfords are a nice option..  If you like detail, speed, and a highly focused image, go with the 3XRS or 3S.

The above is assuming you have suitable amplification.  The Hoyts often like a different amp than the RS5 based Omegas.

milford3

« Reply #4 on: 16 Apr 2014, 05:02 pm »
Talked to Louis yesterday about the correct speaker for my home.  After a great conversation we agreed on the Hoyt Bedford Type 1 Monitor in the Birch Burl Veneer.  Now for the dam wait time.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 16 Apr 2014, 05:08 pm »
Good choice, its been a while since I heard the 8" driver but I liked it a lot. It would be nice to have both the 8 and rs5 and alternate depending on mood... :green:

FireGuy

« Reply #6 on: 16 Apr 2014, 05:15 pm »
Nice.  Congrats on the new purchase.  Welcome to the world of single-driver speakers.  If these perform as well as the RS5 you're in for a real treat.  Fit and finish are superb.  You'll enjoy working with Louis too.  :thumb:

milford3

« Reply #7 on: 6 May 2014, 08:01 pm »
Louis just called.  My Type Ones are ready to ship.  All is well in the audio world. :green:

FireGuy

« Reply #8 on: 7 May 2014, 12:12 am »
Louis just called.  My Type Ones are ready to ship.  All is well in the audio world. :green:

Your choice of Karelian Birch Burl should be nothing less than stunning.   Report back as soon as you're set up on the new stands.  Opine right away from fit and finish to initial listening impressions.   Especially with the new hybrid SET. 

milford3

« Reply #9 on: 7 May 2014, 12:31 am »
Interconnects with the new hybrid amp is on the way.  The Hoyts will love my new stands.  The new hybrid amp uses 6V6's for power tubes.  The HB's will love it.

Good Times

« Reply #10 on: 7 May 2014, 08:40 am »
In your larger room, the 8" driver is a no-brainer. It would be that or the Omega 6 (alnico) series. The Omega 3 series certainly plays low, but won't give you the body and impact that the larger driver speakers give you in the lower frequencies. Well done, great choice!!

milford3

« Reply #11 on: 9 May 2014, 06:00 pm »
The Type 1's have arrived and our up and running.  Louis did a fantastic job with the veneer.

seikosha

« Reply #12 on: 9 May 2014, 06:22 pm »
They look nice.  Let us know how they sound once you get some break in hours on them.

FireGuy

« Reply #13 on: 9 May 2014, 06:27 pm »
I'm really liking on how they physically present themselves on the stands.  I knew that veneer would be awesome too.   And yes, as per the previous post, sound, sound...sound.    Let's hear about that after some tweeking and break in.   Those Draconian discs are going to sound sweet. 

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #14 on: 9 May 2014, 06:39 pm »
Wow, the veneer / stand combo really turned out great!  :thumb:

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 9 May 2014, 06:55 pm »
Very nice milford3, I have Super 3XRS's in the same finish with gloss black sides, top, and bottom. 

I might be wrong, but the speaker stands look like basic MDF construction and if they are not spiked and anchored firmly into the substrait under the (very hard to punch through) Berber carpet you will never realize the full potential of your speakers.  The best economical route for a speaker stand is the Lovan Jazz 1800 with the uprights filled with crushed glass (used for sandblasting).  You will need to obtain or make some very pointy spikes as the Lovan only come with cones for hardwood and laminate floor.  The best match for your speakers, if you can afford them, are Sound Anchors - they come already filled with ballast, and although not cheap, they are a bargain.  Give the speakers at least 100 hours break in with music that has some bass content.

You mention your amp is a hybrid.  If your amp is the Musical Paradise I see in the picture, it is not a hybrid but a tube amp with solid state rectification rather than tube rectification.  Hybrids generally have tubes in the pre-amp stage and solid state outputs - really more solid state than tube.  Octal based tube amps like yours are great for tube rolling as they often can take a large variety of tube types.

Lovan link: http://www.lovanusa.com/index.php?cPath=1_9&osCsid=ea1b29584fdf26a84c78f80e5011107d
Sound Anchors link: http://soundanchors.com/products/2041/single-post-stands

milford3

« Reply #16 on: 9 May 2014, 07:17 pm »
Rob, indeed that is a MP 301 MK-2. It is not a hybrid (hybrid coming later.)  As for the stands that is the next step.  Crawl, walk, run.  As far as the Type 1 goes I can say this after just two hours of listening.  Imaging.  My God!   Well done indeed. :D

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #17 on: 9 May 2014, 07:20 pm »
Glad you're happy with the sound - it will only get better.  Very curious, what hybrid amp are you getting?

beowulf

« Reply #18 on: 11 May 2014, 06:46 am »
Wow, the veneer / stand combo really turned out great!  :thumb:

+1 those are real beauties!  Enjoy!!!

FireGuy

« Reply #19 on: 20 May 2014, 05:09 pm »
Thank you Milford3 for the 4-day demo of a most impressive pair of monitors.  And, thank you Louis C. for bringing them to us.  I will post a little later the X's & O's but for now the music flowing is quite special. Many similarities to my 5's.  Very special speaker.