Anyone tried Wadia PowerDAC 151 with Omega?

Alwayswantmore

Anyone tried Wadia PowerDAC 151 with Omega?
« on: 31 Jul 2013, 05:08 am »
Hi, anyone heard this amp on Omega single drivers? Comments on impressions appreciated. Regards, Kent

macdane

Re: Anyone tried Wadia PowerDAC 151 with Omega?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Aug 2013, 12:03 am »
Sorry I don't have anything useful to add here, but I'm really surprised nobody's chimed in yet!

Dane

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 6 Aug 2013, 05:05 pm »
One reason no one has responded is the possibility no one has heard the Wadia PowerDAC 151 with Omegas. 

From what I read the Wadia is supposed to be a very good unit.  Current Omega speakers have a very friendly impedance curve and so are very amp friendly.  Basically, the better quality the amp is, the better the sound will be with the Omegas.  I have heard Omegas on many types of amps and the "worst" of the amps sounded good - the best sounding off the charts.

From what I read the PowerDAC 151 is a chip amp (class D?).  I have heard Omegas with Class T chip, Class A/B chip, Class A/B discrete, MOSFET, push pull tube, single ended triode, pentode, and tetrode tube.  They all work well with Omega speakers.

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #3 on: 18 Sep 2013, 10:37 pm »
I picked up the unit from Amazon for $800. Very nice sound for the money, easy operation, lots of digital input choices and the remote works very nicely. For movies and general listening it was great. Critical listening it was a far cry from my RWA gear (major delta in price, so not a fair compare). Since my Isabellina HPA has not sold on Agon, I ended up returning the Wadia today. I had a couple offers, but ended up crossing wires and missed out on a real buyer for my asking price. Oh well.

The net.. for someone looking for convenience and multiple sources in a digital-only world, and on a limited budget, IMO this is a pretty darn good unit. But like so many things in life, if you have the money to move up market (and choose wisely), you get what you pay for. Regards, Kent

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 19 Sep 2013, 09:40 am »
Rob,

Don't confuse chip amps with digital (I own Channel Island Audio mono blocks of both designs). 

Digital comes in several forms, but chip amps (more popularly known as 'gainclones') harken from the 47 Labs Gaincard amplifier introduced in 1999 (small cult following) that uses minimal components (typically 9, including a limited variety of chips serving as the heart of the amp) and short signal paths (some as short as 9 mm).  Gain clones have had a huge following on the DIY scene (with widely varying levels of success due to the sensitivity of the design) plus a few notable commercial offerings.  They are known for blending the positive attributes of solid state (cool running, high damping factor) and tube sounds (lush, full bodied) but are limited to 40 (maybe 50) watts.  As such they've never been accepted by the tube crowd (simple design but obviously not a tube) or the solid state camp (not enough power to be more than a novelty).

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 20 Sep 2013, 12:45 am »
Rob,

Don't confuse chip amps with digital (I own Channel Island Audio mono blocks of both designs). 

Digital comes in several forms, but chip amps (more popularly known as 'gainclones') harken from the 47 Labs Gaincard amplifier introduced in 1999 (small cult following) that uses minimal components (typically 9, including a limited variety of chips serving as the heart of the amp) and short signal paths (some as short as 9 mm).  Gain clones have had a huge following on the DIY scene (with widely varying levels of success due to the sensitivity of the design) plus a few notable commercial offerings.  They are known for blending the positive attributes of solid state (cool running, high damping factor) and tube sounds (lush, full bodied) but are limited to 40 (maybe 50) watts.  As such they've never been accepted by the tube crowd (simple design but obviously not a tube) or the solid state camp (not enough power to be more than a novelty).
Thanks JLM,
I am well aware digital and class D are not the same.  Awhile back I purchased a low cost class D chip amp on a whim, and after listening to it realized it was not for me and returned it.  I am also very familiar with gain clones, having had an Audio Zone Amp STi and an Audio Sector Integrated.  It was on the Audio Zone Amp STi that I was converted to Omega speakers. 
The Decware SE84C+ took the experience to the next level (in the same system) and I have remained in the single tube per output SET/efficient single driver camp ever since.

beowulf

« Reply #6 on: 20 Sep 2013, 01:04 am »
Thanks JLM,
I am well aware digital and class D are not the same.  Awhile back I purchased a low cost class D chip amp on a whim, and after listening to it realized it was not for me and returned it.  I am also very familiar with gain clones, having had an Audio Zone Amp STi and an Audio Sector Integrated.  It was on the Audio Zone Amp STi that I was converted to Omega speakers. 
The Decware SE84C+ took the experience to the next level (in the same system) and I have remained in the single tube per output SET/efficient single driver camp ever since.

With respect to anyone who likes Class D amplification ... you can add me to the list who walks away shaking their head wondering what's the big deal with Class D and wondering why so many hifi manufacturers jumped on this bandwagon ... :duh:

I have owned and listened to both I.C.E. and Hyphex based class d amps and found them the most un-resolving and un-interesting amps that I've ever heard.  In fact, the reason I was driven to tube amps - was my dissatisfaction with class d altogether.

JLM

« Reply #7 on: 20 Sep 2013, 11:58 am »
Search AC for recent mini-review of the new NAD D7050 versus Wadia PowerDAC.  Big rave for the D7050.

Rob, just wanted to keep terminology clear as you seemed to question if a chip amp was class D (as you seem to know, class D are not conventionally termed as such).  Yes, most solid state amplification uses chips (integrated circuits) but in the world of audio amplification, chip amp = gain clone (not class D). 

And as I stated above, digital amplification currently comes in many forms, so it's not easy to throw a blanket over the whole realm (generalize) regarding design/sound. 

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #8 on: 20 Sep 2013, 01:55 pm »
Search AC for recent mini-review of the new NAD D7050 versus Wadia PowerDAC.  Big rave for the D7050.

Rob, just wanted to keep terminology clear as you seemed to question if a chip amp was class D (as you seem to know, class D are not conventionally termed as such).  Yes, most solid state amplification uses chips (integrated circuits) but in the world of audio amplification, chip amp = gain clone (not class D). 

And as I stated above, digital amplification currently comes in many forms, so it's not easy to throw a blanket over the whole realm (generalize) regarding design/sound.

Interesting on the NAD. I told my wife the day we sent the Wadia back my unit would sell the next day, and it did. So I still have my RWA amp (Sig 15 upgraded to Sig 16), which I love. Given the lack of fully engaging sound from the Wadia, I plan to take the next steps slowly. Hang on to the Sig 16 and use a cheap USB dac for now? Find an alternative integrated in my price range (less than $1000)???

JLM

« Reply #9 on: 21 Sep 2013, 08:53 pm »
The Redgum RGi35 ($1100) is highly build/sound quality with 35 wpc.  They also offer a scratch and dent version for $950 if you have to hold to a budget and a RGi35ENR that is fully tricked out ($1390) with 50 wpc.

These are minimal designs with Redgum tree wooden face plates and separate left/right volume controls (extra cost remote available).

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #10 on: 22 Sep 2013, 02:16 pm »
The Redgum RGi35 ($1100) is highly build/sound quality with 35 wpc.  They also offer a scratch and dent version for $950 if you have to hold to a budget and a RGi35ENR that is fully tricked out ($1390) with 50 wpc.

These are minimal designs with Redgum tree wooden face plates and separate left/right volume controls (extra cost remote available).

Thanks. But need dac amp combo for a grand or less. Need remote control too.

notany

« Reply #11 on: 23 Sep 2013, 03:05 am »
Have you considered the Teac? Abeltec class D with a nice digital section for $850.  Good looking in black.
http://audio.teac.com/product/ai-501da/

JLM

« Reply #12 on: 23 Sep 2013, 12:12 pm »
Thanks. But need dac amp combo for a grand or less. Need remote control too.

Oops.   :duh:

How about the very new NAD D3020 ($500)?  Has (2) analog, USB, coax, and optical inputs; 24/96 asynchronous DAC; separate speaker/headphone outputs; 30 wpc @ 4 ohms (reportedly very stable); remote; 2-5/16"W x 7-3/8"H x 8-5/8"D (standing vertically), I could only find one (rather stunning) professional audition.

Or the more known NuForce DDA-100 ($550)?  Has USB, coax, and (2) optical inputs, no analog; 24/176 built-in DAC function; one optical but no sub/headphone outputs; 50 wpc with lots of headroom;  sleek looking 2"H x 9"W x 8.5"D aluminum cabinet; remote; great sound but polarizing reviews (perhaps it is too different).

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 23 Sep 2013, 04:19 pm »
Alwayswantmore,

If you are looking at getting some Omegas, the Glow Audio Amp One with included separate DAC is under a grand including shipping.  Matched up with Omega speakers this little amp will likely outperform most solid state amps anywhere near it's price, not to mention the fact it is an established audio classic.

If I may be politely frank, don't compromise great sound for the sake of a remote unless you are physically incapacitated.

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #14 on: 24 Sep 2013, 09:12 pm »
Alwayswantmore,

If you are looking at getting some Omegas, the Glow Audio Amp One with included separate DAC is under a grand including shipping.  Matched up with Omega speakers this little amp will likely outperform most solid state amps anywhere near it's price, not to mention the fact it is an established audio classic.

If I may be politely frank, don't compromise great sound for the sake of a remote unless you are physically incapacitated.
Thanks Canada Rob. I'm on my second set of Omegas. Super 6 Monitors and Deep Hemp Sub. In a room with lots of GIK bass traps, listening near field. I'm attempting to downsize from about $5K in RWA Renaissance Edition electronics to something less than $1K. And doing this to raise funds for a better quality drum set.

I love all the gear I have / had (the RWA DAC sold last week). But frankly I've sat down to critically listen maybe 4 or 5 times in the last 8+ months. So at this point in time live music is more central to my lifestyle than recorded music. None the less, I AM spoiled, so it's hard to move backwards in terms of electronics.

Where critical listening does not happen often, my wife and I do watch rented movies a couple times a month. With movies we tend to move the volume up and down as needed to hear the dialog and avoid the noisy parts. No way I plan to get out of my chair to make those kind of adjustments. So in the end it's a compromise to move to the new price point. But the move is being made for a reason.

Thanks for your thoughts. K

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 25 Sep 2013, 03:48 pm »
Alwayswantmore,

I understand what you say about live music.  In our household I hear live music more often than I listen to my stereo.  My professionally taught daughters make some very beautiful music.  That is one reason I love Omega speakers so much is because they come closer than any other speaker I have heard to a live performance.  Omega speakers are really beyond imaging, 3D soundstage, layering, and all the glowing terms we give great audio gear.  They are best described as "you are there".

As far as an amp goes, check out this link: http://www.europroducts-canada.com/#/creek/4531491901
It is for the classic Creek A50iR (brand new in the box with full warranty) which has MOSFET outputs.  It will be a beautiful match for your Omegas.  As far as DACS go, from first hand experience the Audioquest Dragonfly and KingRex UD-01 punch waaaay above their weight.  I realize this combo is a bit over a grand, but the amp has a remote and you may find it to give your RWA a serious run for it's money.

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #16 on: 25 Sep 2013, 03:57 pm »
Thanks for the tips / link. I have been in and out of high end audio for many decades, and fully agree on Omegas. i will also put in a strong plug for room treatments and proper speaker placement. With these items in place, you can really hear the differences in electronics and source. K

Alwayswantmore,

I understand what you say about live music.  In our household I hear live music more often than I listen to my stereo.  My professionally taught daughters make some very beautiful music.  That is one reason I love Omega speakers so much is because they come closer than any other speaker I have heard to a live performance.  Omega speakers are really beyond imaging, 3D soundstage, layering, and all the glowing terms we give great audio gear.  They are best described as "you are there".

As far as an amp goes, check out this link: http://www.europroducts-canada.com/#/creek/4531491901
It is for the classic Creek A50iR (brand new in the box with full warranty) which has MOSFET outputs.  It will be a beautiful match for your Omegas.  As far as DACS go, from first hand experience the Audioquest Dragonfly and KingRex UD-01 punch waaaay above their weight.  I realize this combo is a bit over a grand, but the amp has a remote and you may find it to give your RWA a serious run for it's money.

Louis O

« Reply #17 on: 25 Sep 2013, 10:50 pm »
Hi Alwayswantmore,

Have you ever considered building a kit like the Dynakits?. The ST35 is a great sounding amp great value too.

Thanks,
Louis

craig in SD

« Reply #18 on: 4 Nov 2013, 11:01 pm »
Coming late to the conversation here, but maybe not too late...

I'm the poster of the NAD D7050 mini review mentioned above, and I wanted to point out that the D7050 is much more refined, hands down, than the Wadia 151.  The difference is significantly more than you would guess from the $200 price premium.  I A/B compared the two units for a couple of weeks and really wanted to like the Wadia more than I ever was able to--I was constantly itching to switch back to the NAD.  And the one thing I would LOVE to do is hear the D7050 with an efficient single-driver speaker like Omega and Zu produce.  (Oh, and I'd love to hear it with electrostatics like the MMG, too.)  I love the D7050 with my Monitor Audio Silver 5s, but I suspect the pairing with your Omega speakers could be even better.  Given what your stated goals are (simplify, cost reduce, without too much sonic compromise), my advice would be to give the D7050 a 30 day trial like you did with the Wadia 151.  I would wager that you would keep it.

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #19 on: 5 Nov 2013, 01:25 am »
Coming late to the conversation here, but maybe not too late...

I'm the poster of the NAD D7050 mini review mentioned above, and I wanted to point out that the D7050 is much more refined, hands down, than the Wadia 151.  The difference is significantly more than you would guess from the $200 price premium.  I A/B compared the two units for a couple of weeks and really wanted to like the Wadia more than I ever was able to--I was constantly itching to switch back to the NAD.  And the one thing I would LOVE to do is hear the D7050 with an efficient single-driver speaker like Omega and Zu produce.  (Oh, and I'd love to hear it with electrostatics like the MMG, too.)  I love the D7050 with my Monitor Audio Silver 5s, but I suspect the pairing with your Omega speakers could be even better.  Given what your stated goals are (simplify, cost reduce, without too much sonic compromise), my advice would be to give the D7050 a 30 day trial like you did with the Wadia 151.  I would wager that you would keep it.
Thanks for the feedback. Glad to hear the NAD is a winner. Kent