PS Audio Directstream DAC

Yomaha

Re: PS Audio Directstream DAC
« Reply #20 on: 15 Nov 2018, 01:59 am »
Have any DSD Sr. owners done the Snowmass update?  Great Scott!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #21 on: 15 Nov 2018, 02:21 am »
Yes

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #22 on: 15 Nov 2018, 02:51 am »
Yes for me too.

Best,
Anand.

Yomaha

« Reply #23 on: 15 Nov 2018, 03:23 am »
One of the deciding factors for me in this DAC purchase was the fact that it is "upgradeable" via these software updates.  It looked good on paper, but I had no idea it would make such a significant difference.  I am very happy with Snowmass.  More detail and nuance on the high-end, and more separation for my system.  Wife and I noticed it immediately!

RDavidson

« Reply #24 on: 15 Nov 2018, 05:23 am »
Yes. Haven't had a chance to do any real listening yet, just background tunes while I work. So far so good.

debjit.g

« Reply #25 on: 15 Nov 2018, 05:49 am »
The Snowmass update is really big. Every DS owner should get it. Not fond of B-II though.

TomS

« Reply #26 on: 15 Nov 2018, 01:10 pm »
Yes, it's like a "new" DAC (in a very good way) ... yet again, for free :green:

santacore

« Reply #27 on: 15 Nov 2018, 03:07 pm »
I've updated my unit, but haven't had a chance to do any listening. Hopefully today.

richidoo

« Reply #28 on: 15 Nov 2018, 03:12 pm »
Not fond of B-II though.

Can you elaborate? What do you not like about Bridge 2? I am not a fanboy defending the product. I do not yet own DS, but I am considering upgrading from my Vega. Constructive criticism is hard to find on this model. Thanks!
Rich

debjit.g

« Reply #29 on: 15 Nov 2018, 05:55 pm »
Can you elaborate? What do you not like about Bridge 2? I am not a fanboy defending the product. I do not yet own DS, but I am considering upgrading from my Vega. Constructive criticism is hard to find on this model. Thanks!
Rich

In my setup I find the USB to sound better but you would need a good quality server/streamer (likes of Sotm, etc). I have even removed the card from DS which further improves a bit of SQ. If you want to go the B-II route, make sure you have a good foundation with the Ethernet switches and cables and a good LPS to power it up.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #30 on: 15 Nov 2018, 06:01 pm »
In my setup I find the USB to sound better but you would need a good quality server/streamer (likes of Sotm, etc). I have even removed the card from DS which further improves a bit of SQ. If you want to go the B-II route, make sure you have a good foundation with the Ethernet switches and cables and a good LPS to power it up.
In my experience, I have found absolutely no sonic difference between the sMS-200, Allo USBridge or PSA Bridge II.  This was all done on the fly and switching the input during playback via Roon with all zones in sync. 

debjit.g

« Reply #31 on: 15 Nov 2018, 06:13 pm »
In my experience, I have found absolutely no sonic difference between the sMS-200, Allo USBridge or PSA Bridge II.  This was all done on the fly and switching the input during playback via Roon with all zones in sync.

Yes, it would depend on the streamer and the kind of LPS being used. The DS is very sensitive on the USB input, meaning the better the USB source, the better the output. I don't use sms-200 myself but my friend has sms-200Ultra powered by a great quality mojo-audio LPS and B-II falls a bit short. The drawback is its a spaghetti of stuff to get the USB right, whereas the B-II is simpler and cleaner installation.   

On a different note, there is B-III in the making  :thumb:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #32 on: 15 Nov 2018, 06:16 pm »
On a different note, there is B-III in the making  :thumb:
Which might not support Roon...

debjit.g

« Reply #33 on: 15 Nov 2018, 06:19 pm »
Which might not support Roon...

the war isn't over yet  :D they will loose big time if they didn't. will see...

debjit.g

« Reply #34 on: 15 Nov 2018, 06:25 pm »
has anyone tried Roon RAAT vs HQP NAA if you are using server/streamer model ? I am running HQP embedded (still on trial and the license is pretty expensive) controlled from Roon and even without up-sampling, the NAA sound better than RAAT endpoint.   

richidoo

« Reply #35 on: 15 Nov 2018, 06:54 pm »

Thanks debjit! I have SMS-200 with Curious USB pigtail cable, it's a great combination. But I'm still using stock PS for SMS200.

fwiw, I have read (forget where) that an audible improvement is observed running an ethernet connection direct from music server PC to NAA, using a dual ethernet card in the music server, thus bypassing any switching.

debjit.g

« Reply #36 on: 15 Nov 2018, 07:22 pm »
Thanks debjit! I have SMS-200 with Curious USB pigtail cable, it's a great combination. But I'm still using stock PS for SMS200.

as a data point, sm200ultra is a significant step up from sms200 and so is a quality LPS from the stock PS. Both together will get you to a major step up.

fwiw, I have read (forget where) that an audible improvement is observed running an ethernet connection direct from music server PC to NAA, using a dual ethernet card in the music server, thus bypassing any switching.

Yes, basically you bridge the Ethernet ports on the server side so that the endpoint (NAA or RAAT) is still visible to your home network. That's what I am doing with the JCAT Net femto card and I can't think of anything that might sound better at this time.

richidoo

« Reply #37 on: 15 Nov 2018, 08:09 pm »
Thanks for the info.

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #38 on: 15 Nov 2018, 08:20 pm »
Thanks for the info debjit.g  !!

Would you by any chance have a link to explain how you bridge the Ethernet ports on the server side using a Mac as a server?  I've got a a Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter so now the Mac has two Ethernet ports, but can't figure out setting it up.

I've read some of the thread on CA (Novel way to massively improve the SQ of audio streaming) and near the beginning there is a link to an Apple support page but it's broken.

nc42acc

« Reply #39 on: 15 Nov 2018, 08:23 pm »
Rich I am going to give this a try after I load Snowmonster. My SGC has two ethernet ports. I will let you know how it sounds.