Losing right channel on Candela?

vinny1

Losing right channel on Candela?
« on: 30 Nov 2022, 03:25 am »
Need your expertise guys..recently upgraded to a pair of kismet amps and speakers (kismet floorstanders not liquids). Preamp is a Candela…everything was fine but for the last two days, suddenly in the middle of playing, I hear a loud thump on my right speaker and the right channel goes out…sometimes , turning off the pre and the amp and turning it back on fixes it..sometimes not..sometimes, if I stop playing music but leave it on, I hear the thump again randomly and the right channel is back on..thoughts?

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
Re: Losing right channel on Candela?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2022, 03:54 am »
swap the tubes around and see if the problem changes channels.

JMW73

« Reply #2 on: 30 Nov 2022, 11:28 am »
swap the tubes around and see if the problem changes channels.

This!

If that doesn't do change anything, try swapping amps, cables, etc.  Narrow it down.

It sounds like a tube failing though.  Here is a thread about good replacements; it was started on '06 so there are some things that are no longer available.  However, I do have the Northerns, Electro Harmonix, JJ, RCA, and Pvsane mentioned there:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=35170.0

vinny1

« Reply #3 on: 2 Dec 2022, 03:00 pm »
Ok. Quick update on my candela issue. Turned out that it was a tube issue. so I swapped the northern electrics that Klaus put in for me for a pair of old old mullards that I had from the original Candela..lo and behold, the sound stage opened up big time..lots more depth and separation but..the whole image shifted like 30 degrees to the right.. :o🙀. So I started the whole speaker placement exercise again..not easy with the kismets and maple shade platforms and cones..after a day or so, I still couldn’t get the image to snap in place..so decided to try a set of new pair of northern electrics for the Mullards…turned it on and now I have a massive hum on both speakers..The old northern electrics were dead quiet 🤫… so the fun continues..I will switch back to the Mullards and hope the hum doesn’t show up again..have a set of new Mullards ordered and a pair of RCAs I bought on eBay…let you know what happens.

JMW73

« Reply #4 on: 2 Dec 2022, 06:29 pm »
That’s great that you narrowed it down. I had a similar problem in that I had an original JJ dying but didn’t know it (experienced what you described a couple times in retrospect, that’s why I figured you had a tube dying). Bought a set of Northerns that for whatever reason are unbalanced (waste of $100). I went back and forth with Klaus and Alex and almost sent my Candela in for service to them… and then I tried a new set of tubes and figured out finally that both sets I had were creating an imbalance.  It was very frustrating for me and the guys at Odyssey. Alex just couldn’t fathom that I had 2 sets of tubes creating an imbalance! 

Ed_Zachary

« Reply #5 on: 9 Dec 2022, 10:12 pm »
https://www.apexmatching.com/why-should-i-match-my-tubes

https://www.tubedepot.com/ (look for matched sets)

*-OR-*

Call Klaus, tell him you need a set of tubes and I suspect they will be on their way in a jiffy.

EDIT: He may ask you to measure your voltage at the outlet your Candela is plugged in to, the reason being that he *might* feel the preamp needs to be re-biased. There is some very lively discussion (read: arguments) on the internets about whether preamps need to be biased or not, but if it was my equipment, I would ask him for his thoughts and follow whatever course he sets. He built 'em, he knows them, and if allowed to do so, he will take the best care of you and your gear.
« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2022, 09:17 am by Ed_Zachary »