Removing M3 Grill Covers?

catluck

Removing M3 Grill Covers?
« on: 8 Jun 2022, 02:25 pm »
You may have seen that Ron's (NRD) M3'S have their woofer grills removed. Frankly, I like the look of 2 big 15" woofers staring at me.  Wondering how to remove the grills and whether Clayton recommends against this?  Would seem not to be the case given Ron's engagement with Clayton but who knows.  Thoughts?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Removing M3 Grill Covers?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jun 2022, 02:28 pm »
I removed the grills on my X3's, there's a notable increase in detail after I did.  And I agree, they look way cooler with the drivers showing.

El Tio

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jun 2022, 03:42 pm »
I too like the naked look with grills removed. Depending on the finish of your speakers you may be disappointed. My M3's are Walnut veneered and when the grills are removed it exposes the unfinished MDF (see picture). I stained that portion on mine so your eye is not drawn to it but it is still unsightly. I have been considering making some sort of beauty ring but have not come up with anything yet.

catluck

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jun 2022, 10:45 pm »
OK. Now we're getting somewhere. But, hey!!! How do you remove the grills?  And, in doing so are the grills damaged? HELP!! Thanks. Rob

DaveWin88

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jun 2022, 11:01 pm »
OK. Now we're getting somewhere. But, hey!!! How do you remove the grills?  And, in doing so are the grills damaged? HELP!! Thanks. Rob
Great minds think a like :) I was just thinking of removing mine for an incremental boost in detail.

El Tio

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jun 2022, 11:36 pm »

To remove the grills press your fingers into the inner side of the outer ring  (see pic) and pull. The fabric will not get stretched and will spring back nicely.

DaveWin88

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jun 2022, 12:00 am »
Great minds think a like :) I was just thinking of removing mine for an incremental boost in detail.
EI Tio thank you so much. Man mine don't want to budge. Maybe I'll try a different spot on the grills.

Daryl Zero

« Reply #7 on: 9 Jun 2022, 01:04 am »
EI Tio thank you so much. Man mine don't want to budge. Maybe I'll try a different spot on the grills.

Same issue. I got one out but the other three are in tight.

DaveWin88

« Reply #8 on: 9 Jun 2022, 01:35 am »
Same issue. I got one out but the other three are in tight.
Well you really have to just get in and back enough to get your fingertips behind the grill ring. Can be easier said than done :) I wanted to add that Spatial did not install the grills halfheartedly. Very tight quality fit.

« Last Edit: 11 Jun 2022, 08:43 pm by DaveWin88 »

catluck

« Reply #9 on: 9 Jun 2022, 02:41 am »
Thanks much folks. I'll try to buck-up and see if I can remove'em.  It would look seriously goofy is one or two just wouldn't budge.  A sorry situation indeed.  Back at ya' with details. Thanks again all. Rob

doggie

« Reply #10 on: 9 Jun 2022, 11:50 am »
Can anyone confirm that there is a positive effect from the apparent increase in detail?

I have always removed my grill covers on previous speakers but there are some speakers that are specifically voiced with the covers in place. My last speakers, some Omega Audio cross-overless, definitely sounded better without the grills.

Most covers come off easily but it sounds like those on my X5's are meant to be left in place?

Clayton?

catluck

« Reply #11 on: 9 Jun 2022, 02:04 pm »
El Tio and DaveWin88 - Thanks!  WOW. My grill covers won't budge. TIGHTLY inserted? Yeah. And, I don't have the guts to pull too hard to try to remove them. I wonder if Clayton is shaking his head and thinking, foolish children can't let well enough alone. Such is the nature of the pursuit of "better" in audio  I suppose I'll keep trying to gently "persuade" these stubborn covers to vacation.  Thanks again all for your thoughts and photos.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #12 on: 9 Jun 2022, 03:05 pm »
I used my fingertips from both hands on the outside of the grill.  And yeah they are on there tight.  So gotta use a fair bit of finger strength to get them off. 

Daryl Zero

« Reply #13 on: 9 Jun 2022, 05:57 pm »
I used my fingertips from both hands on the outside of the grill.  And yeah they are on there tight.  So gotta use a fair bit of finger strength to get them off.

I guess it's back to the fingertip pushups for me until I build up the strength.  :cry:

El Tio

« Reply #14 on: 9 Jun 2022, 06:10 pm »
Here is a YouTube video of Ron from NRD removing the grills from his M3. He does this around 7:09 into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBtQzrDQJxs&t=1236s

dket

« Reply #15 on: 9 Jun 2022, 09:42 pm »
Okay sport fans, after blood, sweat and tears I just got my Red X5's grills removed. Blood coming from one finger nail separated from a finger, sweat coming from the strain on the fingers, and tears of joy after finally getting all 4 grills removed with a greater sound improvement to my ears.
Attached is a picture of a helpful tool which is a car interior removal tool.  Carefully work around 1/2 of speaker in minute increments and pulling on the outer edge and it will eventually come out. Be careful not to push the tool too far in the groove to avoid chipping the paint. A little leverage goes a long way.

Daryl Zero

« Reply #16 on: 10 Jun 2022, 12:49 am »
Here is a YouTube video of Ron from NRD removing the grills from his M3. He does this around 7:09 into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBtQzrDQJxs&t=1236s

That's definitely staged and is fake news.
No way it is that easy.

Mr. Big

« Reply #17 on: 10 Jun 2022, 01:24 pm »
That's definitely staged and is fake news.
No way it is that easy.

Not fake he has done it before he says it right in the video, of course, once you take them on and off it would get easier and I am sure it loosens up a bit. I love them on, I hate looking at drivers in my face and 15" drivers at that.  Fantastic speakers.

catluck

« Reply #18 on: 10 Jun 2022, 02:13 pm »
El Tio - Thanks very much for the NRD reference. Very helpful to see that it can be done without tearing the grill, profanity above/beyond the normally expected, etc.  I will say this: mine are not as cooperative as Ron's.  But, I'll be casual and see what happens. 

Tangram

« Reply #19 on: 10 Jun 2022, 09:53 pm »
I’m struggling with the physics of all this. It’s just a thin piece of fabric, acoustically transparent at that. The wavelengths of the frequencies from those woofers are so long that I would love someone to explain how removing the grills can improve detail.