desktop/bookshelf speaker

lazbisme

desktop/bookshelf speaker
« on: 6 Jun 2022, 03:36 am »
There was a post inquiring about this hinted at project but it was never responded to. So, Clayton, is this still something you are working on has it been shelved for now, or permanently?

Spatial Audio

Re: desktop/bookshelf speaker
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jun 2022, 04:01 am »
I doubt if I will get to it anytime soon. I just don't have the time available right now to work on it.

Clayton

lazbisme

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jun 2022, 05:00 pm »
certainly understandable, Clayton. Businesses demand priorities.

Daryl Zero

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jun 2022, 01:32 am »
certainly understandable, Clayton. Businesses demand priorities.

True but that would be so sweet.

Bingenito

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jun 2022, 09:35 am »
Much rather see R&D to develop a new statement product. Lots of companies make desktop solutions, not many make reference level all out open baffle speakers.

radarnyc

« Reply #5 on: 7 Jun 2022, 06:44 pm »
Much rather see R&D to develop a new statement product. Lots of companies make desktop solutions, not many make reference level all out open baffle speakers.
Agreed. I wonder what price point Spatial lovers would be willing to go to. It could give Clayton something to design to. I’d probably be will to go to $18k but would rather see $15k. Others?

AllanS

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jun 2022, 12:43 am »
I’d probably be will to go to $18k but would rather see $15k. Others?
Afraid I can’t help the cause.  An X4 @ $7500 was doable but the M4 Sapphire fit the budget.

Bingenito

« Reply #7 on: 8 Jun 2022, 09:08 am »
Agreed. I wonder what price point Spatial lovers would be willing to go to. It could give Clayton something to design to. I’d probably be will to go to $18k but would rather see $15k. Others?

All depends on the design, size and value prop. In terms of design objective I would appreciate a model for larger rooms, true 3 way, etc. Considering product positioning and fit into the rest of the product line I suspect anything at or under $20k is fair game.

aniwolfe

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jun 2022, 10:27 am »
All depends on the design, size and value prop. In terms of design objective I would appreciate a model for larger rooms, true 3 way, etc. Considering product positioning and fit into the rest of the product line I suspect anything at or under $20k is fair game.

The Lumina was available at one point. Not sure what happened to it. They were $30k though

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=165431.0

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #9 on: 8 Jun 2022, 02:23 pm »
If the Neo10 ever becomes available again, it would get my vote as something to use in the heart a cost no object system.  IME it's flat out the best midrange driver in the world.  Note, I am NOT a big fan of the Neo8, which is not able to play low enough to cover the mids.  The neo10 however, is spectacular.

Bingenito

« Reply #10 on: 8 Jun 2022, 06:20 pm »
$30k is pushing it a but in an open baffle speaker in my opinion. If the north pole is watching this thread my wish is no plate amp at the higher price range. If need be let us biamp as we like options.

lazbisme

« Reply #11 on: 8 Jun 2022, 07:24 pm »
This thread is off topic; but Clayton has talked in an on line interview about making a solid brass baffle in an up level speaker.

Bingenito

« Reply #12 on: 9 Jun 2022, 01:02 am »
The entire internet is off topic!

Micarta would make for a cool baffle. Common for knife scales but Foundation (company) makes precision rifle stocks out of it. Drop dead gorgeous and very inert. Much more so than aluminum. Harmonic resonance in precision rifles leverages the same science as resonance control in loud speaker design.