Top Tube Amp pairing with X3's?

morganc

Re: Top Tube Amp pairing with X3's?
« Reply #40 on: 11 Jun 2022, 04:29 am »
Well I’ve always been told that you’ll see more difference on rolling tubes on the input stage

Perhaps however that's assuming you're using the same output Tube class, right?  I would suspect in this case changing the output Tube to EL-34 from KT-77's would be more of a difference but hey I'll admit that's just speculation on my part.

doggie

« Reply #41 on: 11 Jun 2022, 01:22 pm »
As long as we are exploring tube options, here is a cool diagram from Vintage Tube Services that helps one get an idea of sound stage placement for various NOS tube brands. Obviously it is one person's experience but it does seem familiar.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #42 on: 11 Jun 2022, 05:35 pm »
doggie, that is VERY cool.  And the hall placement of the various tubes on that graph pretty much comport with my experience, too.

morganc

« Reply #43 on: 13 Jun 2022, 04:01 am »
Cool chart Doggie. Wish I had found that a decade ago!

Daryl Zero

« Reply #44 on: 17 Jun 2022, 12:15 am »
I got a matched French Mazda 12AU7 pair from Brent Jessee at audiotubes.com that he had suggested to put in the pre-amp section. Came today and I had to learn where the pre-amp section was. Found a video on LTA's website about changing tubes if there is a problem and fortunately the video mentioned that the pre-amp section had the tubes in horizontally. One of those devils required a heck of a lot of rocking before I could get it out. Also, I had bought a tool that could deal with these hexagonal screws on Tyson's instruction for rolling tubes in the DAC I got earlier.

First impression is that a significant part of the glare is reduced without compromising on the clarity and separation. 

forky

« Reply #45 on: 20 Jun 2022, 04:26 pm »
I don't have a lot of experience with different amps. My last amp was a Rotel manufactured in 1991 (bought it new then) and last year I bought a Primaluna Evo 300 tube int amp. I have a separate thread on this but I was and have been fighting brightness w most hard rock (might be recordings but I don't think so - one of them is the Mofi 1-step for Janice J which isn't hard rock but very bright in my system).

I'm confident room treatment will help, but I think I have a revealing amp and speaker combo that might be too revealing (on some recordings) although on 95% of my music it sounds incredible to be so the DS stuff must be absolutely (more) amazing.

The NOS Mullards and Mazdas made things worse but I found that Radiotechniques up front sound the best and I run KT-150s in the rear.

Although I still read articles and watch youtube vids on different amps sometimes as long as I can get the brightness on say, Smashing Pumpkins albums and the JJoplin record reduced then I don't plan on looking for anything else.

But - if I can't get the sound right in the new room in the new house I may consider trying /buying a new amp.

Tyson

« Reply #46 on: 20 Jun 2022, 05:14 pm »
Forky, if you can run KT88's or (even better) KT66's in your amp, they have much better tone than the KT150's.  Especially the Psvane brand, they have exceptional tone and in general sound better than the Russian and eastern European tubes. 

motorcitym3

« Reply #47 on: 20 Jun 2022, 05:23 pm »
I have a Don Sachs Valhalla intergraded with KT66 tubes that I may be open to sell.  :wink:

Tyson

« Reply #48 on: 20 Jun 2022, 05:32 pm »
I have a Don Sachs Valhalla intergraded with KT66 tubes that I may be open to sell.  :wink:

That's an end-game type amp :P

morganc

« Reply #49 on: 20 Jun 2022, 07:15 pm »

I just pulled the trigger on a Don Sachs Amp to pair with my Pre. I'll have it next week and can compare that to the LTA ZOTL 40.  If your Valhallla and you are near Sedona, AZ drop on by! 

motorcitym3

« Reply #50 on: 20 Jun 2022, 07:30 pm »
Thanks for the offer, however, I live near Detroit.   

motorcitym3

« Reply #51 on: 20 Jun 2022, 07:34 pm »
That's an end-game type amp :P

My plan was to use the Valhalla with a pair of Spatial X3's, but bought a different pair of speakers and JC1 monoblocks instead.

Daryl Zero

« Reply #52 on: 20 Jun 2022, 07:57 pm »
Man I wish I knew before I got the LTA 40+ integrated although I have to say that changing the pre-amp tubes has made all of the difference in the world and it is getting better as the tubes are breaking in. I've got all the sweetness that I had with my Rogers 65V-2 without sacrificing speed and detail. I'm really loving this match right now.

morganc

« Reply #53 on: 21 Jun 2022, 04:05 am »
My plan was to use the Valhalla with a pair of Spatial X3's, but bought a different pair of speakers and JC1 monoblocks instead.

Wow.  Beauties.  How do they sound? 

motorcitym3

« Reply #54 on: 21 Jun 2022, 01:02 pm »
Thank you. 

They are stupendous from background music to concert level volume.  They do a magical act of disappearing into the room especially for their size!
The detail these reveal are scary.  They actually image as good as monitors and throw a huge soundstage.  These are meant to be statement pieces not just in size but tonally as well.  The downside is the weight. At 76"s high and 520 lbs a piece, they're a pain to move.  So yeah, they sound good!!!
« Last Edit: 21 Jun 2022, 04:41 pm by motorcitym3 »

Tyson

« Reply #55 on: 21 Jun 2022, 04:44 pm »
Thank you. 

They are stupendous from background music to concert level volume.  They do a magical act of disappearing into the room especially for their size!
The detail these reveal are scary.  They actually image as good as monitors and throw a huge soundstage.  These are meant to be statement pieces not just in size but tonally as well.  The downside is the weight. At 76"s high and 520 lbs a piece, they're a pain to move.  So yeah, they sound good!!!

Very nice.  I love big speakers - they have an ability to scale that is really intoxicating.

jnschneyer

« Reply #56 on: 21 Jun 2022, 05:12 pm »

I'm interested in, curious about, your Valhalla.  I DMd you, but, as I've never done it before and have a basic mistrust of most things electronic, or at least of my ability to make them work properly, I thought I'd go at it this way as well.  If you're inclined, you can either respond to my DM (assuming it made it to you), DM me yourself, or respond here.  Thanks.

Josh

motorcitym3

« Reply #57 on: 21 Jun 2022, 05:46 pm »
Hi Josh,
I replied via DM (email).

Daryl Zero

« Reply #58 on: 21 Jun 2022, 06:24 pm »
Very nice.  I love big speakers - they have an ability to scale that is really intoxicating.

Plus you can be buried in them after you die instead of having them sold for $10 in an estate sale.

motorcitym3

« Reply #59 on: 21 Jun 2022, 10:42 pm »
Ha, my wife told me the same thing!