Spatial M3TM After Three Years

Birdbrain

Spatial M3TM After Three Years
« on: 26 Apr 2022, 10:10 am »
I bought the Triode Masters three years ago, after retiring, as what I was hoping would be my last pair of speakers. They were everything I was hoping for and more. I added Iso-Acoustics Gaia feet and carpet spikes early on. They made a huge improvement on my carpeted floor. Of course, Spatial came out with new and improved speakers before mine were fully broken in. And they were intriguing. I decided I was willing to sacrifice the improved bass of the X series for not having to plug them into the wall. As for the redesigned M series, the M3TMs sold me on the point source concept. It's for me and I love it. Getting them positioned just right takes a lot of moving. When you think you've got the perfect spot, mark it well and keep trying different distances from the wall and different toe in angles. Your patience will be rewarded.

I'm not surprised Clayton came up with improved speaker designs. I'd expect nothing less. The M3TMs, three years on, are still the perfect speaker for me. A heartfelt thanks to Spatial Audio.

edit: I'm driving them with an Audio by Van Alstine Vision SET120 power amp, which puts out approx. 45 watts per channel into the M3TM, class A at any sane volume level, and still utterly unflappable at insane volume. A great match.

aniwolfe

Re: Spatial M3TM After Three Years
« Reply #1 on: 26 Apr 2022, 12:26 pm »
The TM's are great and nothing wrong keeping them forever. You can upgrade them if you want to.  I personally would rewire them with VH Audio Solid Core Copper or keep the Duelund Wiring and make an external crossover with better parts. Or just keep them stock and never look back.

harley.guy07

« Reply #2 on: 27 Apr 2022, 05:16 am »
I have been running Clayton's M3 turbo S's as my reference as an audio reviewer for a while now and while some people have moved on to his newer models I happened to speak to Clayton at Axpona 2022 and he says he still loves the M3 Turbo S's and while he says his new speakers are better he still feels his older designs hold up. As a reviewer/journalist of high-end audio, I say if you are happy with the Triode Masters keep them they are great speakers. I happened to hear the new X4s at the show, I told Clayton they were one of the best of the show as far as natural instrument presentation and soundstage/imaging. They just sounded right. I talked to him for quite some time and it just solidified the fact that I am a Spatial Audio fan and user with no plans to go anywhere else. A lot of people don't also understand that the M3 Turbo S and Triode master series was the type of speaker that you can change the whole sound character of the speakers by just toe in. I have experienced this myself in my room. I can toe my speakers in just 1/8' in and it will change the whole treble response. A lot of people will just give up on trying before experimenting with toe-in and placement. After the show, I came home and experimented again and found that Clayton is right. While his newer models are better his older models still have a place in high end audio and will for quite some time!

mvalentiner

« Reply #3 on: 27 Apr 2022, 06:26 pm »
I heard the X4s at Axpona. While I did not visit every room and hear every system, I did hear a lot. The LTA + Spatial X4 + Anti-cables was the best sound I heard. Very natural and transparent. A great sound stage. I'm surprised how little else came close.