Upgrade from M4 Turbo S

Nsm1979

Upgrade from M4 Turbo S
« on: 2 Jan 2022, 05:46 pm »
I currently have the M4 Turbo S models powered by a Denifrips DAC and Cherry inline mono amps.  My room is 19 x 24 dedicated to 2 channel.  Looking for input on upgrading to the Sapphire line.  I supplement the M4s with a pair of GR open baffle dual 12” subs.  With these subs supplementing the bottom frequencies, what would bee the rational or benefit of going to the M3s over the smaller models, including the M5s?

Tarheel

Re: Upgrade from M4 Turbo S
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jan 2022, 02:36 pm »
That's a good sized room you have.  I envy you!  I just sold my M3 Turbo S yesterday and will be ordering the M4 Sapphires today to use in my 14'x14' room with an 18' vaulted ceiling.  The gentleman I spoke with at Spatial Audio said that the M4 Sapphire is a better fit in my room than the M3 Sapphire and the upgrade in sound over the Turbo S is significant. I too was using a sub and I think it's a matter of moving enough air to fill your room which is rather large. 
Hope that helps.

Nsm1979

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jan 2022, 03:09 pm »
Congrats on the Sapphires.  Building/designing a new house is allowing for the larger room.  I am currently in a 13x14 room, so close to what you are in.  I agree that the M4 VS M3 size would be a better fit in the smaller sized room.  I run the subs to supplement the M4s, which receive the a full spectrum signal, so I would think I not only get lower frequency response of the subs, but better bass distribution in the room.  I am interested in the upper frequency differences between the two models and their use of different midrange/tweeters.  The response of these drivers and the interaction they have with the room due to their different dispersion characteristics.  Interested to hear your opinions on the difference between the Turbo Hologram and Sapphire series.  Thanks for the response.   :popcorn:

Tarheel

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jan 2022, 10:38 pm »
Placed my order today and chose the upgraded baffle (Sapele wood 1" thick).  Now to hurry up and wait!  Probably 4-6 weeks.  Maybe I'll get lucky and get it by my birthday 1/30/22 and see how well these 73 year old ears work  :icon_lol:

Nsm1979

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jan 2022, 11:09 pm »
Sapele would be my choice as well.  They are beautiful.  I have the satin black finish on my M4s. 

Tangram

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jan 2022, 09:00 pm »
I bought M3 Sapphires hoping to banish the subs from my 13X20’ room.

Mission accomplished.

doggie

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jan 2022, 07:53 pm »
I bought M3 Sapphires hoping to banish the subs from my 13X20’ room.

Mission accomplished.

Ditto with my X5's. Sold off a pair of SVS subs.

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #7 on: 10 Jan 2022, 08:56 pm »
Never needed subs with my Vandersteen 2ce's and I don't with my M3 Sapphires but what I did need with them was room treatments. Or maybe I was just getting picky in my old age  :o