Stunning demo CD

abomwell

Stunning demo CD
« on: 21 Dec 2021, 04:03 pm »
There is a spectacular recording that will knock your socks off with the X series, probably any Spatials. Symphonie Fantastique by Berlioz, Utah Symphony, Reference Recordings. Play "March to
The Scaffold". Be careful.  The dynamic contrast is very large. The bass drum/crash cymbals towards, and at, the end are stunning!!

routlaw

Re: Stunning demo CD
« Reply #1 on: 21 Dec 2021, 06:03 pm »
While I’ve not heard this one virtually anything Reference Recordings produces will be fantastic and exemplary recording. Thanks

jjss49

« Reply #2 on: 21 Dec 2021, 07:20 pm »
it has been for many many years that reference recordings have offered some of the best quality recordings extant... may not always be one's first choice of music, but the recording quality and sound is beyond reproach

enjoy

dB Cooper

« Reply #3 on: 21 Dec 2021, 08:44 pm »
Is this the one

abomwell

« Reply #4 on: 21 Dec 2021, 09:24 pm »
Is this the one

Yes, that's it.

dB Cooper

« Reply #5 on: 21 Dec 2021, 09:43 pm »
Let me tell you something people- abomwell IS NOT KIDDING. This recording will tell you exactly what your system is capable of. And a great performance to boot.

dB Cooper

« Reply #6 on: 21 Dec 2021, 09:54 pm »
Added to 'Demonstration Worthy Classical Recordings' (which it easily qualifies as) with a tip o' the hat to abomwell.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #7 on: 21 Dec 2021, 09:57 pm »
  Truly a wonderful recording. Good choice for demo.

charles

mgalusha

« Reply #8 on: 21 Dec 2021, 09:58 pm »
No doubt, this is a great recording. Probably best to not play loudly on a 4" speaker. ;)

abomwell

« Reply #9 on: 21 Dec 2021, 10:03 pm »
I have it last on my demo playlist. Sonically it's hard to follow. The March to the Scaffold is short enough to make for a great closer!

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #10 on: 22 Dec 2021, 04:33 pm »
Added to 'Demonstration Worthy Classical Recordings' (which it easily qualifies as) with a tip o' the hat to abomwell.

Thanks for adding to 'Demonstration Worthy Classical Recordings'.  Personally, I prefer Gatti's 2016 recording with the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra.  Recording engineer, Everett Porter, switched to DXD recording just prior to this performance.

dwmaggie

• First memory of music was parents Zenith portable.
« Reply #11 on: 24 Dec 2021, 01:59 am »
I went ahead and ordered this disc right after reading this thread.  Definitely a great demo disc.  You forgot to mention the bells on the other tracks-outstanding.  Thank you for this recommendation. 

kayakerf

« Reply #12 on: 24 Dec 2021, 04:22 am »
Thanks for adding to 'Demonstration Worthy Classical Recordings'.  Personally, I prefer Gatti's 2016 recording with the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra.  Recording engineer, Everett Porter, switched to DXD recording just prior to this performance.
For the digital streamers, the Gatti/Royal Cocergebouw Orchestra version is streamable in 192khz vs 44khz for the Kojian version. I think most with X3/X5 will have systems resolving enough to hear the resolution difference. the 192khz recordings are smoother in general. I don't have a lower res version of the Gatti/RCO to compare.

Theronbo

« Reply #13 on: 24 Dec 2021, 06:30 pm »
Available on Apple Music in claimed ‘Lossless’…

Did sound pretty good on my X-Statics… huge dynamic range…

Usually listen at ‘68’ which is too load for conversation… had to put at 75 for opening… it gets loud from there.

abomwell

« Reply #14 on: 24 Dec 2021, 07:25 pm »
Yes, a huge dynamic range for sure. The RR recordings are usually 3-5 dB lower in volume as compared with other CD's. I believe it's related to the HDCD format. This recording even needs more boost.

dB Cooper

« Reply #15 on: 25 Dec 2021, 04:33 am »
Available on Apple Music in claimed ‘Lossless’…

Did sound pretty good on my X-Statics… huge dynamic range…

Usually listen at ‘68’ which is too load for conversation… had to put at 75 for opening… it gets loud from there.

whoops
« Last Edit: 25 Dec 2021, 03:49 pm by dB Cooper »

abomwell

« Reply #16 on: 25 Dec 2021, 06:05 am »
You will see the cover pictured on the 4th post under this topic. It's the the Reference Recordings CD-11 of the Utah Symphony. I was specifically pointing out the the movement "March to the Scaffold".

dB Cooper

« Reply #17 on: 25 Dec 2021, 03:36 pm »
Another whoops. Been workin' too hard. Apple doesn't have it even when I search for the right piece.

ACHiPo

« Reply #18 on: 27 Dec 2021, 12:06 am »
You can download it from Reference Recordings or HDTracks