New Here/M3's ordered...

El Tio

New Here/M3's ordered...
« on: 16 Dec 2021, 08:11 pm »
Greetings all,  First post here. I've been lurking around this forum for some time now learning from those of you with experience with the Spatial products. As a result I ordered a pair of M3's. I love bass and have been on an ongoing quest for better bass. Not more but tighter bass. I currently have sealed speakers (Legacy Signature SE) and they sound pretty good but getting rid of the box sounds like something I want to try. My system consists of Mcintosh components (C2600/MC462). My room is 15'X 24' with vaulted ceiling and considerable treatment. I chose the M3 over the X series as I did not want the plate amp and also want to get away from the AMT tweeter. My Legacy's utilize an AMT and I find it a bit too harsh for my taste and is probably compounded by the fact that I only play digital sources. As of tomorrow it has been 13 weeks since I placed my order so I would love to hear from any of you that have just received their new Spatials and how long was your wait? I did get an update from Clayton a little over a month ago and he explained due to the supply chain thing going on that Eminance was behind on supplying woofers but he was notified that more were shipping.

abomwell

Re: New Here/M3's ordered...
« Reply #1 on: 16 Dec 2021, 10:10 pm »
You have some very nice equipment and a wonderful room there. I had the same size room with a vaulted ceiling in a former house and would kill for that again :)  I waited about 5 months for my X5's which I received a little over 8 weeks ago. Supply problems from Eminence was the issue but Clayton was great about keeping me posted. All I can say is it was well worth the wait. I'm not sure that all AMT tweeters are created equal. The ones in the X5's are not harsh by any means. Good luck with the M3's and be patient with the break-in period which I'm sure you've read many times here.

franSSS

« Reply #2 on: 17 Dec 2021, 05:11 pm »
All around the world there are issues with supply and demand. So i will cut them some slack.

I paid for my M4 in June i think and it will only ship this week. That was not Clayton's fault but mine. It took me ages to send them my speaker colors so they can make it up and finish it. Once he received it he moved quickly on to getting them finished, more quickly than i expected in all honesty. I suppose he could have dragged his feet once he received the sample but he did not. He seems to be real decent in keeping to his responsibilities from what i gather from many posts on AU.

However i feel your pain since it is a new toy...

El Tio

« Reply #3 on: 17 Dec 2021, 11:30 pm »
Thanks guys, looks like on average mine won't ship till Feb. :cry:

Rthomeint

« Reply #4 on: 18 Dec 2021, 09:45 pm »
Is the current wait time really 5 months, or that specific model?

geerock

« Reply #5 on: 18 Dec 2021, 10:12 pm »
Is the current wait time really 5 months, or that specific model?
The Eminence drivers are backed up pretty good; but that may have changed.

hilde45

« Reply #6 on: 19 Dec 2021, 03:44 pm »
Tio, could the AMTs be harsh because you're not using tubes? Just a thought.

El Tio

« Reply #7 on: 19 Dec 2021, 04:36 pm »
Tio, could the AMTs be harsh because you're not using tubes? Just a thought.

My preamp is tube so I am getting some tube goodness in the chain. As abomwell stated all AMTs are not equal and the driver Spatial uses may be just fine. I found that the AMT on my legacy Audio speakers is a bit much on some recordings but if I position the speakers so I am well off axis they do much better. The fact that I only play digital sources probably exacerbates that issue. As good as tubes and vinyl sound I find all of that a PITA (been there done that).

richidoo

« Reply #8 on: 19 Dec 2021, 10:36 pm »
The AMTs on my Legacy Focus SE have no harshness at all, even playing digital tracks, with a class D amp. But they did sound weird a little too often before I upgraded my electronics to match the speakers’ potential. AMT is inherently very low distortion tweeter design. Of course badly recorded tracks or low resolution compressed media sound as rough as they should. I would look elsewhere in the signal if you don’t like how your AMTs sound.

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #9 on: 19 Dec 2021, 11:33 pm »
It seems all of Clayton’s high efficiency speakers love tubes. I do believe that his passive designs love tubes with power. I’m running my M3 Sapphires with an Octave V70 Class A and for me it doesn’t get any better :D

Mr. Big

« Reply #10 on: 20 Dec 2021, 03:24 pm »
I own the M3 Sapphires and they sound superb with solid-state gear also. My McIntosh MC402 amp, at 400 watts per channel allows the speakers to reproduce dynamics and mico dynamics with ease and a deep, fast bottom end with detail and ease no matter how deep they have to go. My preamp is solid-state also, a Mark Levinson 326S. Very natural, music just follows from it with no highlighting nor false detail. The source is Marantz SA-10 SACD/DAC with the music mastering system. Cables AQ Firebird XLR I.C. and speaker wire, power cords Dragon on the amp, Hurricanes power cords on the preamp, CD player, and PS Audio P-12 AC regenerator used on the front end gear only.  I grew up on tubes, love tubes but they are not always the end-all, well-designed solid-state gear can sound as musical enjoyable.

catluck

« Reply #11 on: 23 Dec 2021, 04:05 pm »
Running Sapphire M3's with Psvane mono's (50 watts, class A, 845 x 2 [with 300B & 6sn7]) directly driven from Okto Research DAC 8.   Sound is stunning! However, I also used Bel Canto eRef 600's mono's (class D) that also sound amazing. Different complexion to be sure but each brings its own charms and strengths.  It seems as though these speaks are about as amp agnostic as speaks reasonably could be. I don't think I've ever had the experience of completely abandoning any notion of product upgrade as I'm having with the Sapphires.  Perhaps there will come a day but for the first time in my 45 year engagement with this hobby I'm skeptical...

geerock

« Reply #12 on: 23 Dec 2021, 04:42 pm »
Running Sapphire M3's with Psvane mono's (50 watts, class A, 845 x 2 [with 300B & 6sn7]) directly driven from Okto Research DAC 8.   Sound is stunning! However, I also used Bel Canto eRef 600's mono's (class D) that also sound amazing.

Catluck
Sounds like a very nice system but what are PSVANE MONOS?  I wasnt aware they were producing amps.
Just curious.

catluck

« Reply #13 on: 27 Dec 2021, 02:41 pm »
geerock,
See the Psvane monos at "https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649582118-magnificent-psvane-845-monoblocks/"  Without a doubt the finest 845 amps I've owned and I've owned Cary, Nagra, and Bel Canto.  With the Sapphires they're extraordinarily musical, i.e., ravishing tone, exquisite detail, and really present bass with tone/texture.  But, like I said, the class D Bel Canto eRef 600's bring their own special sauce to the party.  Maybe the Sapphires are incapable of sounding crappy...