Amplifier for X5

abomwell

Re: Amplifier for X5
« Reply #40 on: 13 Aug 2021, 02:52 am »
Thanks doggie. So happy to hear about the orchestral music. That tells me a lot!

Al

sumoking

« Reply #41 on: 13 Aug 2021, 03:08 am »
At first I was concerned about the heat from the First Watt amp as I live in Tucson. But it appears the heat, at idle, would be about equivalent to the amount of heat two people would add to the room. Not bad really.

Al
The Cherry gives off no real heat and sound is so natural and clean. Beautiful timbre and soundstaging.  With the blackest background around.  Clayton's design focus is to reduce distortion. Why not couple it with an amp that has none? 
Gives you something to think really long and hard about. 
Cheers.
« Last Edit: 13 Aug 2021, 04:10 am by sumoking »

abomwell

« Reply #42 on: 13 Aug 2021, 03:46 am »
Good suggestion, sumoking.  Many great choices...too little $ :)

I should of held on to my Benchmark AHB2 amp. When I purchased the Dutch & Dutch 8C's, which are active speakers, I sold it.

Al

franSSS

« Reply #43 on: 13 Aug 2021, 09:11 am »
Good suggestion, sumoking.  Many great choices...too little $ :)

I should of held on to my Benchmark AHB2 amp. When I purchased the Dutch & Dutch 8C's, which are active speakers, I sold it.

Al

Murphy's law. just when you sell it you need it. No wonder people become hoarders. Ideally i should sell my 3 amps since i bought the whole sapphire combo, but no, i now want to hear all of them before i do. Like there is small chance in hell that they will out preform a setup getting accolades/referrals at various hifi shows as the best sound on display. Go figure  :duh: :scratch:

franSSS

« Reply #44 on: 13 Aug 2021, 09:15 am »
The Cherry gives off no real heat and sound is so natural and clean. Beautiful timbre and soundstaging.  With the blackest background around.  Clayton's design focus is to reduce distortion. Why not couple it with an amp that has none? 
Gives you something to think really long and hard about. 
Cheers.

Would be nice if someone can do an ab test between the Z10 and Cherry since both are regarded as giving no real heat, sound natural, great timbre and sound stage with no back ground noise.

Any takers? :-) OR some did the exercise already?

doggie

« Reply #45 on: 13 Aug 2021, 11:40 am »
Would be nice if someone can do an ab test between the Z10 and Cherry since both are regarded as giving no real heat, sound natural, great timbre and sound stage with no back ground noise...

I should qualify that the Z10 does give off *some* heat, just not near what a traditional all tube EL84 amp with regular output transformers would. One nice thing about Berning designed amps is that they are dead quiet, even with 97db speakers. No hum, no hiss ...nada.

If heat is the deciding factor for an amp purchase then class D amps will run the coolest.

Mr. Big

« Reply #46 on: 13 Aug 2021, 02:37 pm »
My SS McIntosh MC 402 drives the Sapphires superbly. Extended highs, transparent mid-range yet with a body to it, and the bottom end is tight and can shake the room if it is on the recording. Each ERA of recordings technology comes through, from the '30s '40s '50s to present over-processed compressed recordings. The 400 watts make music sound relaxed and natural, and that is due to having such headroom dynamic has no end if I want to play blues and rock, yet sounds sound relaxed and even when playing small group classical piece say Baroque.
« Last Edit: 15 Aug 2021, 01:53 pm by Mr. Big »

abomwell

« Reply #47 on: 14 Aug 2021, 02:39 pm »
Anyone using a Modwright KWA 100se with X series?

Al

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #48 on: 14 Aug 2021, 04:24 pm »
Anyone using a Modwright KWA 100se with X series?

Al

That's one of the best amps in the world, I am sure it will sound fabulous.

geerock

« Reply #49 on: 14 Aug 2021, 05:41 pm »
Theres a kwa 100se on Audiogon right now for $2850.  It is a nice improvement over the original kwa100.

abomwell

« Reply #50 on: 14 Aug 2021, 05:58 pm »
There was an auction on that which ended last midnight. Starting bids were to be $1902.00. Surprisingly no one bid on it.

Al

Samac

« Reply #51 on: 14 Aug 2021, 06:03 pm »
My SS McIntosh MC 402 drives the Sapphires superbly. Extended highs, transparent mid-range yet with a body to it, and the bottom end is tight and can shake the room if it is on the recording. Each ERA of recordings technology comes through, from the '30s '40s '50s to present over-processed compressed recordings. The 400 watts make music sound relaxed and natural, and that is due to having such headroom dynamic have no end if I want to play blues and rock, yet san sound relaxed and even when playing small group classical piece say Baroque.

Nicely played, Mr. Big. I bet that 402 does make your speakers sound fantastic. :thumb:

Cheers,

Scott

geerock

« Reply #52 on: 14 Aug 2021, 10:14 pm »
There was an auction on that which ended last midnight. Starting bids were to be $1902.00. Surprisingly no one bid on it.

Al

Al,
It's still there or maybe reposted but it's good until 8/22 and the low bid has been met of $1800.  Theres a buy now price of $2850.  If I didn't have so much equipment laying around I'd take a shot at it myself.

abomwell

« Reply #53 on: 14 Aug 2021, 10:44 pm »
Thanks, Geerock.  I do see that. I'm tempted to place a bid but, if I do, it will be at the last minute. No sense raising the $ base now. When the First Watt J2 arrives I will have three great amps (LTA, Carver, First Watt) to choose from and, like you, don't want too much gear sitting around just to have it. My thinking is that after break-in I'll contrast the Carver (rated at 75 watts) to the LTA (rated at 10 watts). I'll keep the better of those two amps. That will leave me with two amps, a SS and a tubed amp, and that should be enough. My guess is the sonic differences among the three amps will be subtle. I'll have to see.

Al

geerock

« Reply #54 on: 15 Aug 2021, 03:36 am »
Al,
Everyone hears differently so I'll just keep my opinion to myself.  But you have good choices there.  As for me?  I've never sold a single piece of equipment (except for speakers) and I'm not a young man.  Hell I still have my first integrated.  It was a top of the line in it's time Sansui AU9500 that I bought when I was 19.
 I've got stuff laying around you wouldn't believe.  I wish I only had 2 extra amps.  And preamps.  And tuners.  And gadgets.  And.......
 :lol:

abomwell

« Reply #55 on: 15 Aug 2021, 07:40 am »
Geerock,

I live where we don't have attics or basements. Since I never throw shipping cartons away storage space is at a premium. But I do wish I had kept some gear now. Mac and BAT amps, long gone, would come in handy now.

Al

abomwell

« Reply #56 on: 15 Aug 2021, 07:53 am »
Al,
Everyone hears differently....

You are so right about that!

abomwell

« Reply #57 on: 15 Aug 2021, 08:18 am »
And everyone listens differently based on their personal preferences like detail, soundstage, chest pounding bass etc. I've been in music and the music industry my entire working life. Having heard the sound of live instruments and music ensembles daily, for me tonal accuracy and lack of coloration is number one.  I want  instruments to have their characteristic sound. Strident violins, for example, are a nonstarter.

Al

Daryl Zero

« Reply #58 on: 28 Sep 2021, 04:06 am »
At first I was concerned about the heat from the First Watt amp as I live in Tucson. But it appears the heat, at idle, would be about equivalent to the amount of heat two people would add to the room. Not bad really.

Al

Al, I live in Tucson as well and just bought the X5s. Love to talk to you sometime about this. I can't email you yet as this is my first post.

abomwell

« Reply #59 on: 28 Sep 2021, 02:32 pm »
Mine should be shipping any day. Love to hear from you as well.