Diffusion behind x series

abomwell

Diffusion behind x series
« on: 29 May 2021, 01:57 pm »
I have ordered X5's and may want to use wall diffusion behind  them at their reflection points. I'm interested to know what products members have successfully used to diffuse the rear wave. I don't want anything to absorb the reflection, just diffuse it.

Many thanks!

Al

PDR

• May the best man win
Re: Diffusion behind x series
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2021, 04:02 pm »
I've used a DIY diffusor (designed in QRdude) behind my (not Spatial) OB for years now.
At least 4 different types of OB in the last years.
Diffusion on the front wall, bass and tri traps in the corners with absorption at first reflection
points.....including the ceiling
Wouldnt change it for the world......

abomwell

« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2021, 05:53 pm »
Looks great, PDR! Thanks...very helpful.

I have floor-to-ceiling corner traps now and a tapestry on the rear wall behind the listening chair. I wonder if I were to point the null, created by the dipole drivers, at the first sidewall reflection points if absorption there would be unnecessary. There are a lot of diffusion products out there, mostly expensive, that probably would work.

Has anyone tried deflecting, rather than diffusing, the rear wave by using a board angled in such a manner that the speakers are not visible through a mirror placed on the front walk? Robert E Greene suggested that, instead of absorbers, on sidewalls in order to creat a RFZ of sorts.

Al

emailtim

« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2021, 01:10 am »

Has anyone tried deflecting, rather than diffusing, the rear wave by using a board angled in such a manner that the speakers are not visible through a mirror placed on the front walk? Robert E Greene suggested that, instead of absorbers, on sidewalls in order to creat a RFZ of sorts.

Al

Something like this ?

This room was supposedly designed by Rives Audio.

« Last Edit: 30 May 2021, 04:07 pm by emailtim »

abomwell

« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2021, 02:50 am »
I'm not see the attachment, emailtim.

Al

emailtim

« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2021, 03:47 am »
« Last Edit: 30 May 2021, 04:06 pm by emailtim »

abomwell

« Reply #6 on: 30 May 2021, 01:20 pm »
Thanks but I can't open it. Oh well.

Al

aniwolfe

« Reply #7 on: 30 May 2021, 02:48 pm »
I have ordered X5's and may want to use wall diffusion behind  them at their reflection points. I'm interested to know what products members have successfully used to diffuse the rear wave. I don't want anything to absorb the reflection, just diffuse it.

Many thanks!

Al

I use PI Audio Mr T Diffusers behind my X2's with great results. These diffusers are designed for Open Baffle specifically. GR research also used them. https://piaudiogroup.com/

Go to the bottom of the webpage and look for ABB1 Mr. 'T' Hemispherical Radiation

abomwell

« Reply #8 on: 30 May 2021, 03:00 pm »
Many thanks! That's so helpful. I've delt with PI Audio before and are great to work with. I purchased their DigiBuss that is excellent.

Al

emailtim

« Reply #9 on: 30 May 2021, 04:08 pm »
Thanks but I can't open it. Oh well.

Al

I posted it to imgur as well.  Don't know why it is not showing up.

https://i.imgur.com/YaPquyk.jpeg

abomwell

« Reply #10 on: 30 May 2021, 04:12 pm »
Thanks, that worked. Looks great and gives me some good ideas!

Al

morganc

« Reply #11 on: 30 May 2021, 08:12 pm »
I use PI Audio Mr T Diffusers behind my X2's with great results. These diffusers are designed for Open Baffle specifically. GR research also used them. https://piaudiogroup.com/

Go to the bottom of the webpage and look for ABB1 Mr. 'T' Hemispherical Radiation

I have the same behind my X5’s. Love supporting Dave at PI Audio.  He’s a class act and always helpful, honest, and high integrity. 

abomwell

« Reply #12 on: 30 May 2021, 08:32 pm »
Thanks, Morganc.  This definitely looks like a good affordable option. Agreed, Dave is a great guy!

Al

bbybaudio

« Reply #13 on: 31 May 2021, 07:05 pm »
Hi, Al, I also purchased the ABB1 Mr. T diffusers but from Greg Rael. Made an immediate difference, one behind each speaker and two behind listening position.

abomwell

« Reply #14 on: 31 May 2021, 07:37 pm »
Thanks, bbybaudio. What difference did you hear?

Al

bbybaudio

« Reply #15 on: 31 May 2021, 08:01 pm »
Placement of musicians is more distinct as well as increased width and depth of soundstage. Music was clearer. GIK bass traps arrive next week and they will be placed directly behind each subwoofer on wall. My problem is the flat screen between the two speakers. Could buy two more diffusers to mount such that I can put them up when listening then take them down for viewing.

abomwell

« Reply #16 on: 31 May 2021, 08:05 pm »
Sounds like a good idea. Reflections off glass is brutal.

Al

TomS

« Reply #17 on: 31 May 2021, 11:46 pm »
I use two RPG BADArc diffusors in front of the TV. Works great and very easy to move out of the way.

abomwell

« Reply #18 on: 1 Jun 2021, 03:10 am »
Thanks, Tom. What panels are on the front walls to the left and right of the speakers?

Al

TomS

« Reply #19 on: 1 Jun 2021, 12:39 pm »
Thanks, Tom. What panels are on the front walls to the left and right of the speakers?

Al
GIK 4" Impression panels in front, GIK 242 Art panels at each FRP, and 3 GIK 4" 2'x5' free standing panels behind the listening position in front of a 12' glass sliding door.