Dyna 10 or 20 XX high output mc with T8+ built in phono

tipatina

Hello, I am considering one of these high output MC cartridges for use with my T8+ built in phono stage. I have plenty of gain with my high output Grado but have a slight him when over the platter because of the AC motor in my old Thorens and the Grado is getting up in hours. I think I would still have plenty of gain but don't know about the impedance. Any experience with this combination would be appreciated. I am also still considering a step up transformer/lower output MC combination but would like to avoid the extra piece of equipment,wires,etc. Thanks for any advice.

Wayner

Re: Dyna 10 or 20 XX high output mc with T8+ built in phono
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jun 2013, 11:46 am »
Any MC with an output of 2.5mv will work with the phono section of the T8. Input impedance for the T8 phono section is the usual standard 47K ohms.

Wayner

tipatina

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jun 2013, 06:35 pm »
Thanks Wayner,
"Recommended load resistance  > 1,000 ohms / > 30 ohms"  The above is from the product description on the web site (think the >30 applies to the low output version. So since my MM input is 47K this is obviously above 1000 and it should be ok?  Learning as I go...

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 5 Jun 2013, 07:32 pm »
I'd start as is and see how that sounds. Then you can start playing with "R" across the coils as you see fit. While some carts benefit from some kind of loading, I'm usually on the side of the cart manufacturer and go with his loading recommendations.

You may have to advance the volume control a wee-bit as compared to a 5mv MM, but should not be an issue. I've occasionally run my Sumiko Blue Point Special (2.5mv MC) thru the Insight+ phono section of my Insight+ AVA pre.

Wayner