Solypsa Audio (Analog focus / Pacific Northwest based)

solypsa

• Industry Participant
  • Distributor for STST and Sensitive Sound
    • Solypsa
Hello

My name is Erik Peel. I've just joined this lovely forum. I post as an enthusiast mostly, however I also run a vinyl-replay focused audio business and occasionally have fun news to share from this endeavor, so thought to share a bit of my story here:

I always gravitated to music as a child and became 'quality audio aware' in my very early teens. As this interest developed vinyl-replay was a natural part of the picture (given my age this was still the primary media ;) ). I read the mags and drooled at the stores and slowly cobbled together a decent stereo system before I could drive. Time went on and I lost some of my taste for the high-end audio machine but not for music. Still loving vinyl I started to DJ and got into the recording side. Long story short I fulfilled a dream (err obsession) and bought a vinyl mastering system (Neumann VMS 70 based) in the early 00's. Being a little early in the vinyl renaissance curve I eventually made the decision to sell the studio (all the gear went back to Germany). Next came projects (not commercially realized) in speaker design, followed by a stint at a brick 'n mortar audio shop. Through all this my heart was always with analog.

I started Solypsa a number of years back. At first I was only offering turntable/cartridge setup services to clients with existing rigs in the Seattle -  Portland area. Nowadays, in addition to still offering setup services, I also import a few products that I think offer exceptional value and am a dealer for a small curated selection as well.

Solypsa offerings are available throughout North America. I am looking forward to learning and sharing on the 'circle!

My lines:

STST turntables and tonearms- Stefan Strohmetz has quietly made a stellar name for his direct-drive turntables since the late 80s however his work was not well known here in North America. His tonearm is an example of pursuing excellence in tolerances and fit (he worked for years to get his arm bearing tolerances where they are now). He is not prone to marketing hyperbole, in fact he is very quiet about his designs. They are extremely well thought out, built by hand, and in my opinion a fantastic value.

Sensitive Sound MC cartridges- Roman Lebedev makes his carts entirely at his shop in Russia (save the cantilever/styli). He has in the past worked as a consultant for Japanese manufacturers including Ogura whom he still maintains a relationship. These carts are very heavy and low compliance. When mated to the right arm they offer an extremely organic and natural sound (detailed but not hyped); the type of thing that I have grown to value very much in my audio journey.

In addition to these imports I also am a dealer for:

SAEC tonearms
VIV Labs Rigid Float Tonearms
AudioCreative Groovemaster Ti Tonearms
AudioSpecials Phonolab preamps
and more to come :)

All the fancy names in the world wont make a great vinyl rig without proper setup! I offer onsite setup &/or remote consulting to coach my clients towards getting the best out of their investment.

richidoo

Re: Solypsa Audio (Analog focus / Pacific Northwest based)
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jan 2020, 08:28 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle, Eric!

An auspicious debut post; and I enjoyed reading your website.  :thumb:   Very drool worthy selection! 

I have a decent sounding but modest TT setup, but I can appreciate your passion for little-known, cutting-edge stuff.
Rich