Some thoughts...

Guy 13

Some thoughts...
« on: 11 Jan 2013, 10:07 am »
Hi all Audio Circle members.

Just a few thoughts that I want to share with all the Audio Circle members.
No need to agree with me, but if you do, please feel free to tell me.

Expensive hi-end equipment = Hi quality?
Not always.
Many (hi end) speaker manufacturers now get their drivers or even their whole speaker assembly made in China but they rarely make their prices lower even if it cost them less then half to get them made in China.
Bowens England is a good example.
Bowens use to make in England all their professional electronic flashes for professional photographers.
Now, they have moved all their production to China.
(Except (For now) their very hi-end models)
The quality did not seems to be lower (Minds you, time will tell)
But their prices are still the same and they even went up a little.
I understand that they have to follow competition, most of the electronic flashes are now made in China and that makes the share holders happy.
Today, it’s all about money !
By the way, I know what I am talking about; I am the exclusive importer/distributer for the Bowens products since 1995.

More and more audio manufacturers show the inside of their amps.
Of course, if they show under the hood layout, it’s because it’s neat and inspire confidence.

Often a neat layout is a good indication of good built quality,
but not always.

Warranty period is a good indication of how good is the fabricated unit.
Manufacturers that give 3 months warranty versus 1-5 years it’s a good indication on how confident they are about their offering.
Life time warranty is a little different; I’ve seen manufacturers giving life time warranty but charging almost double the price for their products.
Calumet (USA) large format camera is a good example.
I sold that product and did the comparison.
So (Again) I know what I am talking about.

To make sure you do a purchase you won’t regret is best to get 15-30 days risk free home trial of what you want to buy.
Mainly because the item to be acquired will be evaluated with other equipment you already have and the acoustic you have.
Even a hi-end show room, is not always (Or rarely ? ? ?) acoustically treated.

Only my thoughts for what it's worth.

Guy 13

P.S:
I am almost sure that my post/topic is not at the right place,
therefore, please move my post to the right place.
Thank you.

Guy 13

Re: Some thoughts...
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jan 2013, 12:00 am »
WHAT ?
No comments !
That means that all of you agree with what I wrote.
(Especialy the part on warranty)
Guy 13

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #2 on: 12 Jan 2013, 01:11 am »
WHAT ?
No comments !
That means that all of you agree with what I wrote.
(Especialy the part on warranty)
Guy 13

Hi Guy13, I agree with you!!,tell us more you seem to know from experience,cheers mate :thumb:

Guy 13

« Reply #3 on: 13 Jan 2013, 12:38 am »
Hi Guy13, I agree with you!!,tell us more you seem to know from experience,cheers mate :thumb:
Hi G Georgopoulos and all Audio Circle members.
My life long audio mistakes and experiences will be spread over several posts and years.
I have too much to write to squeeze it all in only one post.
Keep with me... More to come.
Guy 13

rotarius

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jan 2013, 02:33 am »
Moving production to China is inevitable for a lot of companies to just survive and compete even if they know quality will take a hit.  A lot of chinese suppliers to these companies are partly or wholly owned by the Communist government and can get their stuff made at artificially low prices due to government subsidies and wages of factory workers.  It's really not fair to businesses that do not or cannot outsource to China.  We really need an import tariff on goods from China to level the playing field.  The place I work at set up shop in China, we get all our components from there, quality sucks.  We laid of half the work force here.  I hate it.  I try to avoid anything made in China if I have a choice.  I wish more people did the same.

Guy 13

« Reply #5 on: 13 Jan 2013, 03:50 am »

Hi rotarius and all Audio Circle members.
It’s a vicious circle !
People want less expensive stuff,
so they buy made in China stuff,
by doing so,
their employers (The company they work for)
cannot compete with made in China stuff,
therefore, to be competitive,
they move part or the whole production to China and doing so,
they layoff some of their workers.
The laidedoff workers, now unemployed, cannot afford anymore made in USA stuff, so they buy, less expensive made in China stuff.
It’s a vicious circle…
I try as much as possible to buy made in Canada stuff (I am a genuine Canadian, even if I live (temporally) in Vietnam with my Vietnamese wife).
Since Canada often does not have what I want at the price I want to pay, I buy made in USA stuff (Audio or something else) then I will look for made in Europe or China.
I do give priority to the made in Canada/USA stuff, of course if I can afford it.   
This is how it should be, by doing so; it will keep USA and Canada people at work.
I know I sound like a politician, but that’s how it should be.
Made in USA I own:
Niteshade Audio NS-10 amplifier.
Bellari VP-129 photo stage
Signal Cable (Interconnects and speaker cables.)
V1, V2red, V2black, N2
Yes, I know, the GR Research drivers are made in India or China.
Made in England
Rega Apollo CD player
Rega P-3 turntable plus Exact cartridge.
Made in Germany:
Sennheiser HD=570
Yes, I have to admit that I have bought made in China stuff,
like my mini sub for my computer, my computer, my mini Sony sound system for my bedroom and my iPod.
While browsing on the Internet to see where and what furniture I would buy when I am back in Canada,
I saw that big furniture store called Meubles Leon Furniture and what the prices they show on their web site was really low, after going a little deeper into their website, I saw that most of what they advertise at unbelievable low price was made in Indonesia.
No wonder their prices where ridiculously low.
No, I will not buy furniture from they, because I believe that buying made in Indonesia furniture, will not have long lasting quality, I know,  I bought made in Asia furniture and it’s what I call: Short lasting and throwaway stuff.
Bad investment.
On the other hand, long time ago, I bough IKEA furniture and it lasted quite long, taking great care of them.
Where is made IKEA stuff ?
I know that some chairs they sell are made in Montreal, Canada, I went to the factory.
Anyway, I prefer as much as possible to keep the Canadian and American people at work by buying their good products. 

Guy 13

Rclark

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jan 2013, 07:09 am »
It really seems like there are a lot of companies that seem dead set on making the so called "super high end" pretty much irrelevent. Hypex, Tekton, Moos (sp?) Audio, Emotiva has been charging hard, there's been a flurry of new technologies, QOL... nano tubed headphones... smps powered classd that will best your tube amp...

made in China... let's face it, if anyone actually cared about what we bought and were it came from, well then it wouldn't even be a conversation then would it? But here we are in this forum, ready to bicker about high priced luxury audio goods, and GASP, where they might be made, when the vast majority of products we use in life, that actually affect our economy, we buy Chinese every day without a second thought. LOL.

But OH NO, don't you dare buy Chinese speakers, because then they WIN.  :scratch:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 13 Jan 2013, 07:19 am »
Some famous Hi-End brands with hi prices CD players try hide in everyway that his players are 100% Royal Chinese inside, just rebranded.
Seems the source brand is Shanling.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #8 on: 13 Jan 2013, 07:34 am »
I agree with rotarius, I avoid buying Chinese goods if possible.

Rclark

« Reply #9 on: 13 Jan 2013, 07:53 am »
If you're gonna avoid buying Chinese, avoid things that actually matter. Speakers are not exactly going to make the front page. Stop going to Target and Wallmart, how about that?

LOL. Seriously...

"this just in, Audiocircle has vowed to stop buying Chinese audio products.... The markets tremble..."
« Last Edit: 13 Jan 2013, 09:32 am by Rclark »

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #10 on: 13 Jan 2013, 08:37 am »
Just watch Walmart shoppers......youll soon see why you dont stand a chance with your boycott.
It is what it is, nothing you can do about it now....about 15 yrs too late.
Does it bother me....yes....anything I can do to change it now?.....you already know the answer.

Rclark

« Reply #11 on: 13 Jan 2013, 09:16 am »
Yup. We have made our beds.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: 13 Jan 2013, 12:18 pm »

Made in USA I own:
V1, V2red, V2black, N2
Yes, I know, the GR Research drivers are made in India or China.
Then how is it Made in the USA?   :scratch:

Guy 13

« Reply #13 on: 13 Jan 2013, 12:30 pm »
Hi jtwrace and all Audio Circle members.
Well... I guess you are right, the GR Research speakers
should not be listed as made in USA
or maybe listed as 10% made in USA
(Crossover components?)
Did I make any other mistakes in my listing?
Guy 13

Ericus Rex

« Reply #14 on: 13 Jan 2013, 02:39 pm »

Aren't the cabinets made in the USA?

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #15 on: 13 Jan 2013, 03:01 pm »
[

« Last Edit: 13 Jan 2013, 08:14 pm by opnly bafld »

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #16 on: 13 Jan 2013, 03:22 pm »
Yup.. trying to avoid components sourced in the far east is a lesson in frustration and albeit almost impossible.This family has narrowed our buying decisions to small US companies. Indeed as I look at my system I see Danny Ritchey,(GR)  Seth Krinsky, (Virtue), Louis Chocho (Omega) AJ (Soundfield Audio), Frank Van Alstine (AVA), TBI, Dalaudio... And we quit buying at Target and Walmart two years ago as it was to  tiring to wash a shirt one time and have the sleeves be too short etc. I am excited by USA ingenuity ans support it wholeheartedly and choose not to point fingers at anyone or anyplace generically.
Best,
tom

Hi jtwrace and all Audio Circle members.
Well... I guess you are right, the GR Research speakers
should not be listed as made in USA
or maybe listed as 10% made in USA
(Crossover components?)
Did I make any other mistakes in my listing?
Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #17 on: 13 Jan 2013, 03:33 pm »
Aren't the cabinets made in the USA?
Hi Ericus Rex and all Audio Circle members.
The cabinets/enclosures of my GR Research V1 are entirely made in Vietnam
with mdf wood probably from China.
For a guy that promote the purchasing of made in USA products,
I am not setting an example. :nono: :duh:
Well at least I am making Danny Ritchie richer...  :lol:
Guy 13

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #18 on: 13 Jan 2013, 06:08 pm »
Just watch Walmart shoppers......youll soon see why you dont stand a chance with your boycott.

Agreed, but I can only control myself and make decisions for myself anyway, just because others behave in ways I don't agree with doesn't mean it's ok for me to do the same. Taking personal responsibility seems to be so out of style these days....  :scratch:

fredgarvin

« Reply #19 on: 13 Jan 2013, 06:45 pm »
It's a global economy and will become even more so. Manufacturing shall very soon be digital, 3D printing etc, the whole game will continue to change. The old world, hands-on manufacturing will become a small niche market and we'll be watching programs on our digital contact lens entertainment systems about those wacky handmade goods collectors and hoarders. Who will really care if they download their printed audio system or their coffee maker from a different nation?