Anyone compared the HT3 with Wilson Watt Puppy?

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
Re: Anyone compared the HT3 with Wilson Watt Puppy?
« Reply #60 on: 1 Nov 2009, 04:00 am »
One in
You are right.. A Honda is every bit as good as a BMW, probably a lot more reliable, and defintlely has a higher residual value.
But the BMW's look soo cool!!
Honda Civiv awesome !! or M3 ....?    No debate what most people would want.
I know not  a fair comparison, but you know what I mean

BTW I ordered a very cool Salk T shirt, for our NYARrave next week!
Look for it.
Mike

Mr. Processed Meat Fellow:

No, that's not what I mean, I don't think.  I mean that a car buyer that purchases a 60000.00 MSRP car would, notwithstanding reliability and specific intended use issues, have a degree of confidence that the 60000.00 MSRP car would be as good, if not better, than a 14000.00 MSRP car.  "Good", of course, is objective to varying degrees and subjective to varying degrees.  With speakers, I don't have any confidence, based solely upon price, that a 60000.00 MSRP speaker is as "good", if not better, than a 14000.00 MSRP speaker.  Both speakers could be great, one could be markedly better than the other, they could both be dogs, etc.  There are too many variables to make any determination about "quality" based upon price.

BTW, I am not necessarily a "value-oriented" consumer.  I tend to purchase British cars and currently own a Jaguar.  IIRC, Hondas are purportedly more reliable and have a higher residual value.  My wife has a Honda, and I don't find much pleasure in driving her vehicle.  I also own several custom-made pistols which don't necessarily shoot better than the limited-production pistols that I own.  The customs, however, are works of art, IMO, and I obtain a lot of enjoyment from owning and shooting them. 

Art_Chicago

« Reply #61 on: 1 Nov 2009, 04:08 am »
Regarding comparing cars to speakers, a 60,000.00 car is generally as good as, if not better, than a 14,000.00 car, IME, reliability notwithstanding.  That is not necessarily true with speakers.

In what way, performance?, definitely not true, comfort?, maybe-maybe not, in the use of expensive exotic materials and more bells and whistles?, yes.

Lin

One in
You are right.. A Honda is every bit as good as a BMW, probably a lot more reliable, and defintlely has a higher residual value.

Look for it.
Mike

It might be inappropriate topic for audio circle, but: me and my wife used to own honda accord for 4 years, honda crv for 7 years and now I have a BMW 3-series. These two brands have very LITTLE in common. All that mirage about cheap cars is nothing but bs. I drive manual transmission, using sport tires and so on. Performance is top priority. honda is not more reliable either. In other words, agree with oneinthepipe.

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #62 on: 1 Nov 2009, 04:52 am »

BTW, I am not necessarily a "value-oriented" consumer.  I tend to purchase British cars and currently own a Jaguar.   

Is it really a Jag-u-were or is it an overpriced Ford Taurus?  :scratch:

A Jaguar.  Built in England in the Jaguar factory. Motor by Cosworth. Not a re-badged Ford or Mazda.

A shame, IMO, that after Ford purchased Jaguar, they started building some Ford vehicles in a style that was similar to some Jaguar vehicles.  Many Jaguar owners were angered.  Ford even put Jaguar motors in some Volvos and Lincoln motors in some Jaguars and Jaguar chassises under some Lincolns. 

I am contemplating purchasing a Lotus Super 7 for summer fun, and the particular car that I am considering has a Ford 289 V8 rather than the Renault motor.   :thumb:   Ford made (and makes) some great stuff.

Notwithstanding, I appreciate your question about my car purchase and whether or not I intentionally or inadvertently bought a Ford Taurus with Jaguar insignia. 

mr_bill

« Reply #63 on: 1 Nov 2009, 06:06 am »
eerrrrr.......Hi,
Looks like I started a mess.

Let me explain.

I am just back from a trip and heard the Sophia II, which I wasn't quite as impressed with, and heard the new Sasha, which was easily one of the best systems I have ever listened to (with Ayre reference pieces).   Granted, the Sashas are very expensive.

I have never heard a pair of HT3s but am very interested and understand that they compete with speakers that are multiples of their price.  I am also interested in used W/P 6 or 7 - thus the question.  I have always been impressed with the W/P speakers.

It was a question to gain a perspective from others that might compare, based on what I can reference.   My posting in this circle, is of the utmost respect to the reputation of the Salks and my interest in the HT3.
(I also heard Thiel, Dynaudio, Sonus Faber and B&W but wasn't quite as impressed)

And yes, these two are on my short list (along with those pesky Maggie 3.6s)

That's my story.

Nuance

« Reply #64 on: 1 Nov 2009, 06:13 am »
There's always stuff that sounds good and some really good , if you never been there you clueless  about it.

Well, then I guess I am not clueless about it, because I've been.  ;)  And I still stand by my statement.  It's not smart to base a purchasing decision off a sound room at AK Fest or RMAF.  Its best to hear the equipment of interest in a well treated, properly sized room; even better, your own room.  Then at least you know what you're in for, and what you'll be able to achieve. 

shep

« Reply #65 on: 1 Nov 2009, 06:40 am »
Just to add to the mess,  aa If it were me I would get those pesky Maggies and put the spare cash into refurbishing a home for the bewildered ( do I hear mr. salk grinding his teeth by now?) with a decent sound system.

charmerci

« Reply #66 on: 1 Nov 2009, 07:34 am »
  The customs, however, are works of art, IMO, and I obtain a lot of enjoyment from owning and shooting them.

As an artist, I'm deeply offended that you shoot works of art!  :lol:

Rocket

« Reply #67 on: 1 Nov 2009, 07:38 am »
Hi Mr Bill,

Why don't you contact Jim and ascertain whether you can find a customer local to you who has a pair of ht3's that you can listen to?  The problem with getting opinions from a forum is that what I believe to be a great sounding product is different to what your expectation may be.

That said I had a pair of Salk Sound ht2's shipped to Australia without hearing them and I couldn't be happier.  My previous speakers were nuforce s9's that retail for about $5500US and they are now relegated to HT duties.

Try to get to hear them first is my advice to you.

Regards

Rod
« Last Edit: 1 Nov 2009, 01:37 pm by Rocket »

charmerci

« Reply #68 on: 1 Nov 2009, 11:02 am »
Mr. B,

Or  you may just post right here.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=20721.100

ctviggen

« Reply #69 on: 1 Nov 2009, 11:42 am »
One in

Look for it.
Mike

Is there anyone who really believes a Honda is as good as a BMW?  Personally, I don't. 

As for these speakers, I always liked Wilsons, but it's hard to gauge two speakers unless you hear them in the same room and on the same equipment.  And even then, the equipment in that room may be different from the equipment you have. 

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #70 on: 1 Nov 2009, 12:56 pm »

Is there anyone who really believes a Honda is as good as a BMW?  Personally, I don't. 

Yes, the people who own a Honda and have either never driven a BMW, or can't afford one.   :wink:

George

KJ

« Reply #71 on: 1 Nov 2009, 02:15 pm »
There's always stuff that sounds good and some really good , if you never been there you clueless  about it.

Having been there a couple years ago, I would tend to agree.  It's a great way to build a baseline of things to audition.

eerrrrr.......Hi,
Looks like I started a mess.

Let me explain.

I am just back from a trip and heard the Sophia II, which I wasn't quite as impressed with, and heard the new Sasha, which was easily one of the best systems I have ever listened to (with Ayre reference pieces).   Granted, the Sashas are very expensive.

I have never heard a pair of HT3s but am very interested and understand that they compete with speakers that are multiples of their price.  I am also interested in used W/P 6 or 7 - thus the question.

I think it was a valid question.  Just seems to be tough getting answers.

Then......hopefully come away with an idea of what components you might like to try and audition and compare at another time and place.  And if you're very fortunate, your own listening room!

Exactly why some folks are trying to get opinions on what others heard so they have an idea of what to audition and bring into their home.  :wink:

topround

« Reply #72 on: 1 Nov 2009, 02:39 pm »
So then the Wilsons are better!

Because they cost more and most people can't afford them.

jsalk

« Reply #73 on: 1 Nov 2009, 10:17 pm »
Thoughts...

When I read the original post yesterday morning, I didn't expect many responses.  After all, how many people have actually taken the time to seriously audition both of these speakers?  Not many I would think.

But when I looked today and saw five pages of responses, I had to read them.  As I look at it, very few of the responses appear to contribute much to answering the original question.  It seems to me the question concerned performance, not value.  The original poster can certainly determine that for himself.

I haven't spent any time listening to Watt Puppies, so I can't comment.  I can speculate that perhaps the HT3's tweeter would be more extended and perhaps more transparent.  And that the HT3 midrange with the W18 might be slightly more detailed.  And that the more massive Watt Puppies bass cabinets might have a little less resonance.  And that perhaps the HT3 woofer might play a little deeper with less distortion.  These speculations are based merely on looking at the drivers. 

Since I haven't heard the Watt Puppies, I can't make those statements with any certainty at all.  But even so, I would bet those speculative comments, as unfounded as they may be, would be more valuable to the original poster than many of the posts in this thread.

There are many audio sites I used to visit regularly but no longer do.  Why?  Because too many threads get bogged down in posts totally unrelated to the subject at hand and personal digs that serve no real purpose.  I can't easily find the information I am looking for and reading most of the posts is a waste of time.  So I tend to stay away (which is a shame).

A site like this is valuable if it serves as a source of pertinent information, advice and camaraderie.  We generally have a great group of individuals who frequent this circle and share information with one another and all.  Let's keep it that way.

Thanks,

- Jim

stereodad

« Reply #74 on: 1 Nov 2009, 10:21 pm »
+1

mr_bill

« Reply #75 on: 1 Nov 2009, 10:37 pm »
Thoughts...

When I read the original post yesterday morning, I didn't expect many responses.  After all, how many people have actually taken the time to seriously audition both of these speakers?  Not many I would think.

But when I looked today and saw five pages of responses, I had to read them.  As I look at it, very few of the responses appear to contribute much to answering the original question.  It seems to me the question concerned performance, not value.  The original poster can certainly determine that for himself.

I haven't spent any time listening to Watt Puppies, so I can't comment.  I can speculate that perhaps the HT3's tweeter would be more extended and perhaps more transparent.  And that the HT3 midrange with the W18 might be slightly more detailed.  And that the more massive Watt Puppies bass cabinets might have a little less resonance.  And that perhaps the HT3 woofer might play a little deeper with less distortion.  These speculations are based merely on looking at the drivers. 

Since I haven't heard the Watt Puppies, I can't make those statements with any certainty at all.  But even so, I would bet those speculative comments, as unfounded as they may be, would be more valuable to the original poster than many of the posts in this thread.

There are many audio sites I used to visit regularly but no longer do.  Why?  Because too many threads get bogged down in posts totally unrelated to the subject at hand and personal digs that serve no real purpose.  I can't easily find the information I am looking for and reading most of the posts is a waste of time.  So I tend to stay away (which is a shame).

A site like this is valuable if it serves as a source of pertinent information, advice and camaraderie.  We generally have a great group of individuals who frequent this circle and share information with one another and all.  Let's keep it that way.

Thanks,

- Jim

Thank you Jim, you summed up my intent.
Agreed 100%. 

Please take my original post as a compliment.

nicksgem10s

« Reply #76 on: 1 Nov 2009, 10:45 pm »
Hopefully these comments coming from someone that owned HT3 speakers will help a little.

At the same time I owned HT3 a very good friend had Wilson Sophias and then Watt Puppy 7s.

Of course we had different rooms and associated equipment but I was very familiar with the sound of his system.

I think the Watt Puppy 7s were capable of excellent performance and once dialed in (after a lot of component and cable swapping) they sounded great.

I never got home and listened to my HT3s and said I better start saving for those Wilson speakers. 

The HT3 are also custom ordered based on your preferences and Jim's quality of work and attention to detail are second to none.

When you start looking at pricing and value it is a different discussion.  The HT3s are an absolute sonic bargain.

I was also very impressed when I listened to the HT4 at this past AK Fest even under show conditions.

-Nick

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #77 on: 2 Nov 2009, 05:25 pm »
Thoughts...

Thanks,

- Jim

Jim,

Hey... if I contributed...I'm sorry. 

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #78 on: 2 Nov 2009, 05:44 pm »
Thoughts...

Thanks,

- Jim

Guilty as charged.    :oops:

jsalk

« Reply #79 on: 2 Nov 2009, 05:48 pm »
No need for sorrow.  No need to worry.  Just trying to keep things civil.

- Jim