Building Of: Kitoki V2

Wolf Ear Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Wolf Ear Audio
Building Of: Kitoki V2
« on: 19 Feb 2018, 10:24 pm »
I thought I would try something new for me and post the building of a Kitoki V2 with some pictures of different steps.

First up, let's start with a chassis top plate

Next, let's populate it with our connectors, capacitor clamps, etc.
I like to use good quality parts that don't break the bank, though I have no problem using any parts that are requested if a customer wants that :)

Then the output and mains transformers, capacitors, switches, stepped volume attenuator (made by me in-house), etc.
I'll be adding the attenuator's build as an update to the attenuator thread in a little bit to show better how they are made now, since I changed it up a bit.

EDIT Feb 27:Alright, so I did up the grounding and installed the power supply resistors, the heater wiring and the Teflon coupling capacitors.  :thumb:

EDIT Mar 6: The Kitoki top plate is now assembled! All parts are now installed and checked. Next up I'll do some voltage testing, burn-in and install some tubes and check for noise.

If there's anything else people would be interested in seeing, feel free to post here or message me!
« Last Edit: 6 Mar 2018, 11:45 pm by Wolf Ear Audio »

Wolf Ear Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Wolf Ear Audio
Re: Building Of: Kitoki V2
« Reply #1 on: 19 Feb 2018, 10:26 pm »
I'll be updating this every few days until completion as I have time to do this  :thumb:

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #2 on: 19 Feb 2018, 10:56 pm »
Very interesting. I'm looking for an amp to build so I hope you continue to update as you go.

Wolf Ear Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Wolf Ear Audio
« Reply #3 on: 19 Feb 2018, 11:03 pm »
Very interesting. I'm looking for an amp to build so I hope you continue to update as you go.
I definitely will be finishing posting builds for this one and a Piksii preamp as well, so I got you covered  :thumb:

Wolf Ear Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Wolf Ear Audio
« Reply #4 on: 27 Feb 2018, 11:27 pm »
I didn't get too much time this week. but I did make a point of taking at least one more stage of the build. I also updated the build for our standard series type attenuator (included in this build). You can check it here.

Wolf Ear Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Wolf Ear Audio
« Reply #5 on: 6 Mar 2018, 11:47 pm »
Finished up the top plate! (see first post)

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #6 on: 7 Mar 2018, 12:13 am »
That is one impressive build. Off to your web site for info on the amp.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #7 on: 7 Mar 2018, 12:22 am »
Sent you an email with questions about the amp.

tdinut

• Joe aka Joeinid on other forums.
    • Audioshark Forum
« Reply #8 on: 16 Nov 2018, 11:53 pm »
Can anyone offer some thoughts on sound quality? I am interested in one.

AvsFan

« Reply #9 on: 20 Nov 2018, 08:53 pm »
Yes. I am interested in one as well and am close to pulling the trigger but can't find much info at all on these.

AvsFan

« Reply #10 on: 20 Nov 2018, 08:57 pm »
The original Kitoki thread hasn't been touched in almost two years. Come on now, there has to be many more happy owners since then. Speak up! Would love to hear from some of you. I really want to trust these are special but that's a huge leap of faith without more input. 

OzarkTom

« Reply #11 on: 23 Nov 2018, 05:34 am »
The original Kitoki thread hasn't been touched in almost two years. Come on now, there has to be many more happy owners since then. Speak up! Would love to hear from some of you. I really want to trust these are special but that's a huge leap of faith without more input.

I did the tour, but I never bought one. It was just not quite the power for the 86DB efficiency speakers I was using then. I was very impressed with the overall sound quality. If I had own more efficient speakers, the Kitoki would have been a very tough amp to have turned down. SQ was one of the best I have ever heard.

AvsFan

« Reply #12 on: 24 Nov 2018, 03:07 am »
I did the tour, but I never bought one. It was just not quite the power for the 86DB efficiency speakers I was using then. I was very impressed with the overall sound quality. If I had own more efficient speakers, the Kitoki would have been a very tough amp to have turned down. SQ was one of the best I have ever heard.

So with 97db ZU Audio speakers, I would most likely have a different outcome.

OzarkTom

« Reply #13 on: 24 Nov 2018, 04:09 am »
So with 97db ZU Audio speakers, I would most likely have a different outcome.

Yes, too loud if you are wanting to lose your hearing. Very nice sound. Add their upgraded power cord for even better sound. Price on the power cord is around $100.

AvsFan

« Reply #14 on: 7 Dec 2018, 07:33 pm »
Yes, too loud if you are wanting to lose your hearing. Very nice sound. Add their upgraded power cord for even better sound. Price on the power cord is around $100.

I am sure 5watts will be plenty. Anything else to ad to this to make it better? Are there options on tubes?

bdabush

« Reply #15 on: 6 Mar 2019, 03:34 pm »
nice build, quality work.

Wolf Ear Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Wolf Ear Audio
« Reply #16 on: 7 Mar 2019, 11:13 pm »
Thanks! I'm hoping to get some new build pics up soon for some new stuff I've been working on :)

15invo

« Reply #17 on: 10 Mar 2019, 03:19 am »
!?
« Last Edit: 11 Mar 2019, 09:10 am by 15invo »

Wolf Ear Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Wolf Ear Audio
« Reply #18 on: 13 Mar 2019, 08:44 pm »
!?
Final parts just came in this week.
I'll probably have something to show very soon, maybe by Monday ;)

15invo

« Reply #19 on: 16 Mar 2019, 12:26 am »
 :thumb: