An idea for alternative placement of DACT remote kit

JoshK

Hi John,

As many who read this forum may know, a while back you sent me the DACT remote kit to test out in my IRD Purist preamp.  It didn't fit, at least not without a lot of reworking placement and layout of some caps and such.   However there was a fair amount of room to the side of the elma switch.  

It finally dawned on me that one may be able to use a cogbelt and pulley system and wiring the motor in reverse polarity to add this remote kit when there isn't room behind the attenuator.  I saw this on All Electronics website, which I am sure wouldn't really work for this specific case but it gives you an idea of what I am talking about.  

If instead of having the shaft drive the internal rod of the switch, you could mount a pulley to the end of each rod then it could work.  I remember when you mentioned to someone about reversing the polarity of the motor so I am assuming that is not an issue.  I really would like remote volume!  I don't care about source selection because I get up anyway when changing source to put a DVD in, start the TT, etc.

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jul 2004, 09:46 pm »
Hello!

You don't give up! The Seiden remote used pulleys and that would work fine IF you can get a pulley on the shaft at the front and leave room for a knob on there as well or if you can adapt to the elma at the back then mount the motor accross from it. The cog belts you saw are the way to go - mcmaster.com has tons of choices in pulley diam's, etc. That is where I got them from.

One thing to note is that you can't just swap leads to reverse the motors direction on a stepper motor like you can on a DC motor. I can do a custom chip with the direction reversed so this is not an issue - as long as I know what the plan is.

Thansk!

John

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jul 2004, 04:20 pm »
Wow!  Do they ever have a lot of pulleys!   I am sure I can find something to work or adapt it to work.  After I am done wiring up a DIY tube pre that I am playing with I'll dig a little deeper into this.