Picture Food Needed

VOLKS

Re: Picture Food Needed
« Reply #800 on: 15 Jun 2011, 11:00 pm »
That is one empty/sad CDP   :(

SoundGame

« Reply #801 on: 16 Jun 2011, 12:15 pm »
No pictures yet for me.  Robert - I love your rack....

I also quite like the more industrial styling of the racks that you see in the YouTube Audio Advisor piece that Craig Bell of Bryston does on the 28B-SST2.  Does anyone know what rack that is?  It is a Spider-like design but doesn't appear to be a "Spider Rack".

VOLKS

« Reply #802 on: 16 Jun 2011, 05:32 pm »
No pictures yet for me.  Robert - I love your rack....

I also quite like the more industrial styling of the racks that you see in the YouTube Audio Advisor piece that Craig Bell of Bryston does on the 28B-SST2.  Does anyone know what rack that is?  It is a Spider-like design but doesn't appear to be a "Spider Rack".

Its a Solidtech "Rack of Silence"
I have one-Great Rack

SoundGame

« Reply #803 on: 16 Jun 2011, 05:41 pm »

Its a Solidtech "Rack of Silence"
I have one-Great Rack

Man VOLKS - you are my envy.  Amazing rack...  I'll need to look at the pricing on that one.  Enjoy!

VOLKS

« Reply #804 on: 16 Jun 2011, 05:45 pm »
Man VOLKS - you are my envy.  Amazing rack...  I'll need to look at the pricing on that one.  Enjoy!

They usually retail for between $2000-$3000(The Rack of Silence that is)....depends on how many levels you need.

SoundGame

« Reply #805 on: 16 Jun 2011, 05:49 pm »

They usually retail for between $2000-$3000(The Rack of Silence that is)....depends on how many levels you need.

Looked at your gallery.  I like it even more with the Bryston setup.  Gotta start saving for that now.  Cheers!

VOLKS

« Reply #806 on: 16 Jun 2011, 06:09 pm »
Looked at your gallery.  I like it even more with the Bryston setup.  Gotta start saving for that now.  Cheers!

Hehe yeah the rack is expensive,but worth it.

SoundGame

« Reply #807 on: 16 Jun 2011, 06:12 pm »
Thanks Volks - good to know.  It is a beutiful showpiece, as well as functional, I'm sure.

jaxwired

« Reply #808 on: 23 Jun 2011, 12:47 am »
All new digs!

iTunes Lossless -> Apple TV -> Benchmark DAC1 -> Bryston BP6 -> Bryston 4bsst2 -> Dynaudio Contour S1.4

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #809 on: 23 Jun 2011, 01:27 am »
Terrific setup :thumb:

james

drummermitchell

« Reply #810 on: 23 Jun 2011, 01:49 am »
 :thumb:,yes not too busy, nice paint colour.
There's lots to say about simplisty,very nice.

looks like the walls have a bit of texture on them,correct.

Levi

« Reply #811 on: 23 Jun 2011, 02:39 am »
Canadian Company Cervelo.  :thumb:

headshrinker2

« Reply #812 on: 23 Jun 2011, 03:36 am »
Jaxwired,
Great pics!  Very nice decorating as well. 

SoundGame

« Reply #813 on: 23 Jun 2011, 12:07 pm »
Jaxwired,

Love the setup / decor.  Those corner traps are almost invisible.  Neat idea for the headphone hook. 

Must be very relaxing to listen to music there. 

Cheers.

Marius

« Reply #814 on: 23 Jun 2011, 01:40 pm »
wow, i've been looking for a rack like that for some time now. Is it selfmade? if not please tell me where to get one!

Marius

All new digs!

iTunes Lossless -> Apple TV -> Benchmark DAC1 -> Bryston BP6 -> Bryston 4bsst2 -> Dynaudio Contour S1.4

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #815 on: 23 Jun 2011, 10:49 pm »
Terrific setup :thumb:

james

Absolutely! I wish my room could look half as good!

jaxwired

« Reply #816 on: 23 Jun 2011, 11:58 pm »
wow, i've been looking for a rack like that for some time now. Is it selfmade? if not please tell me where to get one!

Marius

Hi Marius.  Yes it is a DIY.  Basically a version of the well known "Flexi" rack.  I wanted to upgrade my rack so I did a lot of research and I just couldn't find what I wanted.  They were either too flimsy or way too expensive.  I came close to buying a billy bags and then a steve blinn rack, both which run $2k for anything similar to what I now have.  Good audio racks are crazy expensive!  But then I realized one night that I could rebuild my old salamander archtype rack and create the rack I really want for way less money.  The salamader archtype racks use this same hardware but have much smaller shelves.  I found a place online that will ship unfinished butcher block slabs of pretty much any size.  So I ordered 4 planks.  They are 2" thick solid mahogany.  Then I had to ease the eadges and sand them.  I don't have a wood shop so I hand sanded them and I bought a hand corner plane to soften all the edges.  Then I drilled the holes.  That's the trickest part because obviously if you mess that up it won't fit together.  The best way would be to use a drill press and clamp them all and drill four at once.  That would guarantee success, but I only own a hand drill.  So I went with a plastic template for drilling holes for kitchen cabinet knobs.  Worked perfect.  Voila!  I finished the wood with Howard's butcher block conditioner which made the wood look like a million bucks and protects the wood from moisture.  Great product.  In fact, it worked so well I went hunting around the house for what else I could wipe this stuff on LOL!  You can buy all the black hardware without buying a salamander rack.  Audio advisor has the parts, but I suspect it would be cheaper to just buy the salamander rack for parts.  The entire project cost me just over $600 but I already had the hardware.  Probably be around $700 if you buy the hardware.  But just try and find anything close to this for $700.  Ain't happening...

And the rack provides infinite shelf adjustments and weighs over 150 lbs empty!

amblin

• 'On the cutting edge of cocking about.'
« Reply #817 on: 26 Jun 2011, 11:38 am »
just was browsing through the pics because i got sucked in... and then there was this...

what the heck!? $6500?!! just looking at the picture i can tell its some cheap cd player someone took apart and botched into a new chassis and not even a good job at that! i hope this was a joke..

Miss the good old days when they actually try very hard ( i mean, REALLY hard) to fill up the metal box?

Remember, the above DAC and transport combo was from 20yrs ago, an age we still belive more is more, more is heavy and heavy is good. Now, just to add some contrast :icon_lol: a brand new 21st century CDP for your eyes.  Behold!  The simplicity, the generation of true bullet proof machines  ~ :icon_lol:

Levi

« Reply #818 on: 26 Jun 2011, 02:25 pm »
amblin:  There is no comparison.  Transport/DAC/Power supply/master clock...separate systems are still out there.   That is 4 heavy boxes.  The future still looks good from this side of the river.

Check out dCS LTD, Esoteric, etc...  :lol:

PRELUDE

« Reply #819 on: 26 Jun 2011, 02:42 pm »
here is a inside picture of my dac and transport.