Picture Food Needed

DEV

Re: Picture Food Needed
« Reply #1420 on: 23 Aug 2013, 01:33 pm »
DEV,

Can you post some pictures of your New Set up...  :thumb: :D

Thanks

As well can you email me I have some questions for you.

Best regards Robert

Hi Robert,

here's a quick pic using my phone, not really much happening in relation to changes except for the cables and enjoying my tunes. MS table is covered up.

I did get one of these though last year "ML63 BI-TURBO" and really enjoying  :D

I do have a pair of these sitting in crates for a second set-up, - just got finished having my furnace - water heater relocated "new" 12 ft from original location so I'll have a 30ft x 65ft clean space to play with for audio.  :icon_lol:

These speakers will go in there;

drummermitchell

« Reply #1421 on: 23 Aug 2013, 01:41 pm »
 Laundrew,  :o,Three primer coats,that's a lot of extra primer.
Usually the taping,mudding(skim coats)usually three are applied,then a light sand if the mud is thin enough,wipe the walls down with a rag
to get rid of excess dust and then one coat of primer before paint and you sand that coat of primer as it will be a little rough since there will be some dust left on the wall.
One coat of mud underneath for the tape and then I believe a 6"pass and then a 10"pass.
I 've never done three coats of primer on new drywall,all is needed is one for the paint to stick.
I do like your room though,you made me tired with those extra coats of primer zzzzzz :thumb:.

drummermitchell

« Reply #1422 on: 23 Aug 2013, 01:43 pm »
Dev I see you haven't gotten the newer Vac statement preamp and PH,what's goin on :green:.

DEV

« Reply #1423 on: 23 Aug 2013, 01:53 pm »
Dev I see you haven't gotten the newer Vac statement preamp and PH,what's goin on :green:.

:icon_lol: :icon_lol:

I couldn't wait any longer and got my Burmester 100 phono which is loaded and has 2 MC which I'm really enjoying - then the VAC Statement pces came available approx 6 months latter.

I will need to complete that second set-up so who knows what will happen but to be honest those new VAC Statement pces are stupidly priced. I might go with DartZeel for that room to match with those speakers- mono blocks and pre with built-in phono

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #1424 on: 23 Aug 2013, 02:51 pm »

Your system looks absolutely stunning DEV and I can only imagine the countless hours of pure joy you experience when you are listening to it  :thumb:

Be well...

Laundrew

« Reply #1425 on: 23 Aug 2013, 03:05 pm »
Laundrew,  :o,Three primer coats,that's a lot of extra primer.
Usually the taping,mudding(skim coats)usually three are applied,then a light sand if the mud is thin enough,wipe the walls down with a rag
to get rid of excess dust and then one coat of primer before paint and you sand that coat of primer as it will be a little rough since there will be some dust left on the wall.
One coat of mud underneath for the tape and then I believe a 6"pass and then a 10"pass.
I 've never done three coats of primer on new drywall,all is needed is one for the paint to stick.
I do like your room though,you made me tired with those extra coats of primer zzzzzz :thumb:.

Hi Robert  :D

Looking back now, I should of gutted the entire room and installed new drywall as the original drywall was not very well finished and the neutral paint really hid the imperfections. I want to use red paint this time and have been told by many individuals that it will show all the wall's imperfections - thank goodness the room will be dimly lit  :lol: The joints look to be perfect and are invisible.

The wall also had a lot of "burn through" where the drywall paper was sanded away and it really stood out like a sore thumb - thankfully they are now gone. What I also noticed was a horrendous amount of small holes (bubbles?) in the existing drywall mud and you would not believe how much I missed finding them until the primer paint went on  :duh:

Some of the corners in the room are not square so this will be a challenge when it comes time to put the crown moulding up. What grit would you recommend for sanding the primer coat before final painting?

:D

Be well...

Chicago

« Reply #1426 on: 24 Aug 2013, 01:44 am »
Laundrew,
If you haven't purchased your paint you may want to try Benjamin Moore "Aura".  It is more expensive but I have painted pretty much my entire home with it.  It is extremely durable for cleaning up the fingerprints that are inevitable and you can touch up the paint anywhere with a brush or roller and you will never see the touch up.  I was skeptical but I have done a fair amount of touch up with it and you never see it.  It also levels very well and you can cut in an entire room and then roll it.  It dries almost as fast as you put it up so keep a damp rag handy for cleaning up any errors.

Good Listening,
Mike

drummermitchell

« Reply #1427 on: 24 Aug 2013, 01:57 am »
I believe that paint has primer in there also.
One thing with paint that has primer in it as was mentioned,is it dries  fast,plus when cutting in with a brush it is difficult to work with.
If your room is primed already why spend another $20 a gallon for primer/paint you don't need.
If your slow at cutting and rolling I'd advise against using it,paint that dries to fast won't look good at all.Guaranteed you'll see your brush cut lines and perhaps some roller marks if you don't catch them.
Been painting for the last 25 yr or so,doesn't work for us,prime,sand 180 grit paper should do for a smoooth finish.
Laundrew,BUY A PAINT STRAINER FOR YOUR PAINT,if you don't even new paint has small chunks and lumps and you will have rough walls.

drummermitchell

« Reply #1428 on: 24 Aug 2013, 02:02 am »
:icon_lol: :icon_lol:

I couldn't wait any longer and got my Burmester 100 phono which is loaded and has 2 MC which I'm really enjoying - then the VAC Statement pces came available approx 6 months latter.

I will need to complete that second set-up so who knows what will happen but to be honest those new VAC Statement pces are stupidly priced. I might go with DartZeel for that room to match with those speakers- mono blocks and pre with built-in phono

Dev,talked to Kevin(VAC) a few weeks back to check on the MKIIA pricing,they jumped up big time.
Now with out PH stage the MKIIA is 18,000 where last fall they were 14,000
I picked up a 2011 MKIIA about 2 months ago for 9,000 black with chrome knobs,which lots superb.
The one I had before was also black with the gold knobs.
I missed the Vac sound so I had to buy another :thumb:

Chicago

« Reply #1429 on: 24 Aug 2013, 02:24 am »
I believe that paint has primer in there also.
One thing with paint that has primer in it as was mentioned,is it dries  fast,plus when cutting in with a brush it is difficult to work with.
If your room is primed already why spend another $20 a gallon for primer/paint you don't need.
If your slow at cutting and rolling I'd advise against using it,paint that dries to fast won't look good at all.Guaranteed you'll see your brush cut lines and perhaps some roller marks if you don't catch them.
Been painting for the last 25 yr or so,doesn't work for us,prime,sand 180 grit paper should do for a smoooth finish.
Laundrew,BUY A PAINT STRAINER FOR YOUR PAINT,if you don't even new paint has small chunks and lumps and you will have rough walls.

Drummermitchell,
It sounds like you know your trade but have you ever used the paint?  I ask because everything you stated has not been my experience with Aura.  I might add I would typically agree with your comments.  I would also add I have never tried it in a dark color just off whites and of course they don't show the sins as easily.

DEV

« Reply #1430 on: 24 Aug 2013, 02:53 am »
Dev,talked to Kevin(VAC) a few weeks back to check on the MKIIA pricing,they jumped up big time.
Now with out PH stage the MKIIA is 18,000 where last fall they were 14,000
I picked up a 2011 MKIIA about 2 months ago for 9,000 black with chrome knobs,which lots superb.
The one I had before was also black with the gold knobs.
I missed the Vac sound so I had to buy another :thumb:

Congrats! ya pretty tough to get out of your head once you have had the taste.  Vac's prices in general seem to have really risen - as you know mine has phono. 

The relatively new Statement LINE ONLY pre-amp looks very interesting indeed but the list price is really stupid! I'm just enjoying listening to endless performances in my own space - can't beat that.

Laundrew

« Reply #1431 on: 24 Aug 2013, 10:39 am »
Hello Chicago and Robert  :D

Thanks for the tips as they are most appreciated.  :thumb:  I will definitely look into the paint recommendation and will be purchasing a paint strainer to get rid of the dreaded paint blobs. Just downstairs looking at the walls and am very happy with the results. when I cut in corners, I feather the edges out with a light roller stroke and this works for me to get rid of the paint line. Well, on to start fitting the shelves.

Be well...

Chicago

« Reply #1432 on: 25 Aug 2013, 02:30 am »
Good Listening,
Mike

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #1434 on: 30 Aug 2013, 12:10 pm »

spinner

« Reply #1435 on: 30 Aug 2013, 11:15 pm »

Oldy but a good amp for the times  ( my first 1975).

Laundrew

« Reply #1436 on: 7 Sep 2013, 08:04 pm »
Now that the "heavy" construction work is completed in the listening room with the rough-in of the CD shelf and bookshelf, it is time to let my hair down, metaphorically speaking, and have some fun experimenting with the trim work  for the shelves.

Be well...

gtaphile

« Reply #1437 on: 14 Sep 2013, 06:41 pm »

Kuzma Stabi S with 12 inch VTA arm

gtaphile

« Reply #1438 on: 14 Sep 2013, 06:43 pm »

Just added the BP1.5 and very satisfied 

gtaphile

« Reply #1439 on: 14 Sep 2013, 06:48 pm »

another pic...via iphone...just too busy these days to set up the shot.