Re: Picture Food Needed
« Reply #1060 on: 4 Mar 2012, 02:10 pm »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What are the speakers?

james

rmurray

« Reply #1061 on: 4 Mar 2012, 07:02 pm »
  They are a well proven pair of JBL 120 Ti's. The bases are home made but are the result of years of experiments......( :lol:)

mv038856

Another Silver vs. Black post...
« Reply #1062 on: 11 Mar 2012, 04:43 pm »
Hi,

I just thought I needed to rekindle the discussion about silver vs. black faceplates... ;)

For the used SP1.7 I had acquired the other day, I changed the faceplate and the balance and volume knobs from silver to black. I like it much better this way. When ordering the new faceplate I also asked for a faceplate without the surround logos above the volume knob and I think the SP1.7 looks even more elegant this way. Since I didn't change the small plastic pushbuttons, they are still black (I think the black SP1/1.7 had dark grey push buttons) and my SP1.7 is even more black this way.  :thumb:

The new faceplate was appr. 1/3 on top of the used SP1.7 price... still, I would do it anytime again.

Cheers!

Markus

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #1063 on: 11 Mar 2012, 06:14 pm »
 Looks a lot richer and pro-like...nice :thumb:

spinner

« Reply #1064 on: 16 Mar 2012, 10:19 pm »
 Black looks more serious  IMO :thumb:

redbook

« Reply #1065 on: 19 Mar 2012, 04:00 pm »

Sorry, I know it's corny  :duh:

SoundGame

« Reply #1066 on: 19 Mar 2012, 04:42 pm »

Sorry, I know it's corny  :duh:

...Rear ported with substantial chuffing at high SPL's... :lol:

redbook

« Reply #1067 on: 19 Mar 2012, 06:11 pm »
  Good one, I deserve that........ :lol:

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #1068 on: 4 Apr 2012, 08:22 pm »
Hector after a hard morning of keeping all those nasty birds out of his backyard.

Be well...

Robert D

« Reply #1069 on: 19 Apr 2012, 01:22 pm »

We have been painting around the House !

Little Zoey has got her eye on me !

Robert

PRELUDE

« Reply #1070 on: 8 May 2012, 03:37 am »

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #1071 on: 12 May 2012, 03:07 am »

vegasdave

« Reply #1072 on: 12 May 2012, 03:27 am »

Brian Russell!

Robert D

« Reply #1073 on: 16 Jun 2012, 11:59 am »
I guess these are a Pair of 28B's  :thumb:

Robert

vegasdave

« Reply #1074 on: 19 Jun 2012, 07:20 am »
Yep!

ronman

« Reply #1075 on: 27 Jun 2012, 07:58 pm »
Hi all

My turn to show and tell I guess

The above photographs are taken in "my man cave". Photographs shows the Paradigm S8's and matching center channel with and without the speaker covers on. I personally prefer the sound with the covers on. In there you see an Anthem P2 (on the right hand side of the cabinet). That was my first Anthem power amp. Had a Bryston 4B. Very good amp. But the Anthem P2 beat it. Then I added the P5 (on the lower left), which I now run bi-amped to the the front left and right channels to maximize my stereo music enjoyment. For movies I use the D2, which runs through the Mark Levinson 38s preamp (which replaced the Bryston B60 that I started with) via the 'ssp bypass" mode. The ML38s is my stereo preamp. Still need to compare the sound quality of the ML38s against the stereo preamp within the D2. At the back of the room is a set of Paradigm signature ADPs, and there are 2 Paradigm seismic 12 subs. That cable you see running across the front right is a 7m long Audioquest Diamondback cable which I plugged in temporarily while I was "crawling for bass" whilst positioning the second sub . All interconnects are AudioQuest Sky and Wild, hdmi cables are AQ HDMI 3's. Power conditioning is sorted out by the IsoTek Sigma (there above the P2 on the right of the cabinet). There are 2 silver colour Pioneer dvd players. Got to change those soon as I want the entire system colour coded (black rules). Hmmm. What else. Speaker cables are AQ Rockefeller. Looking for secondhand AQ Mont Blanc or Volcano speaker cables as a replacement. All the speakers were internally rewired using AQ Rocket44 speaker wire. What an amazing improvement that landed up being. Power cables are Lapp power cables fitted with Furutech Rodium schuko and IEC plugs. The power cables fitted after the power conditioner did not make too much of an improvement. I hear really good things about the Isotek Synchro power cable, so I must try one soon. That will be fitted between the wall outlet and the power conditioner. Oh. Speaking of which. I have a dedicated feed from the breaker box, into an industrial voltage regulator, to the power conditioner. The lights dim and flicker during a nasty storm or on the odd occasion but the av system runs without any issues. The power cable is a 3 x 4mm screen and shielded Lapp power cable running off a 20Amp breaker. Due to the length of the P2 and P5 I chopped out a section from the the rear of the cabinet, just large enough that the P's can stick there asses out the back. Makes plugging cables in so much easier. Although the room is air-conditioned, inside the top area of the the cabinet are a total of 12 80mm computer tower fans powered from a computer power supply via a controller switch. Very efficient and quiet fan setup that.  During the day when those curtains are closed the room is seriously dark, so don't leave anything laying on the floor, coz you will stand it on.  The tv, that's a Panasonic 42" plasma. Love that tv. Awesome picture. Changing that to a 55" in September.  If you look really carefully, stare at the television, you will see a reflection of me taking the photograph. Behind me you will see my cd collection covering the rear wall.  Stereo music is currently enjoyed through a Bryston BDP-1 and BDA-1. There are 3 2TB external hard drives of music there above the BDP-1, which are plugged into a usb hub, which is then plugged into the rear of the BDP-1. Doing a comparision between the BDP-1 & BDA-1 combo against a BCD-1 & BDA-1 combo on Friday, as I am looking for a new cd transport. For video playback I also use a Mede8er media player, with a NAS storage unit holding 4 hard drives behind the cabinet.             

In a nutshell thats my room

Show me yours  !!

SoundGame

« Reply #1076 on: 27 Jun 2012, 08:10 pm »
Hi all

My turn to show and tell I guess

The above photographs are taken in "my man cave". Photographs shows the Paradigm S8's and matching center channel with and without the speaker covers on. I personally prefer the sound with the covers on. In there you see an Anthem P2 (on the right hand side of the cabinet). That was my first Anthem power amp. Had a Bryston 4B. Very good amp. But the Anthem P2 beat it. Then I added the P5 (on the lower left), which I now run bi-amped to the the front left and right channels to maximize my stereo music enjoyment. For movies I use the D2, which runs through the Mark Levinson 38s preamp (which replaced the Bryston B60 that I started with) via the 'ssp bypass" mode. The ML38s is my stereo preamp. Still need to compare the sound quality of the ML38s against the stereo preamp within the D2. At the back of the room is a set of Paradigm signature ADPs, and there are 2 Paradigm seismic 12 subs. That cable you see running across the front right is a 7m long Audioquest Diamondback cable which I plugged in temporarily while I was "crawling for bass" whilst positioning the second sub . All interconnects are AudioQuest Sky and Wild, hdmi cables are AQ HDMI 3's. Power conditioning is sorted out by the IsoTek Sigma (there above the P2 on the right of the cabinet). There are 2 silver colour Pioneer dvd players. Got to change those soon as I want the entire system colour coded (black rules). Hmmm. What else. Speaker cables are AQ Rockefeller. Looking for secondhand AQ Mont Blanc or Volcano speaker cables as a replacement. All the speakers were internally rewired using AQ Rocket44 speaker wire. What an amazing improvement that landed up being. Power cables are Lapp power cables fitted with Furutech Rodium schuko and IEC plugs. The power cables fitted after the power conditioner did not make too much of an improvement. I hear really good things about the Isotek Synchro power cable, so I must try one soon. That will be fitted between the wall outlet and the power conditioner. Oh. Speaking of which. I have a dedicated feed from the breaker box, into an industrial voltage regulator, to the power conditioner. The lights dim and flicker during a nasty storm or on the odd occasion but the av system runs without any issues. The power cable is a 3 x 4mm screen and shielded Lapp power cable running off a 20Amp breaker. Due to the length of the P2 and P5 I chopped out a section from the the rear of the cabinet, just large enough that the P's can stick there asses out the back. Makes plugging cables in so much easier. Although the room is air-conditioned, inside the top area of the the cabinet are a total of 12 80mm computer tower fans powered from a computer power supply via a controller switch. Very efficient and quiet fan setup that.  During the day when those curtains are closed the room is seriously dark, so don't leave anything laying on the floor, coz you will stand it on.  The tv, that's a Panasonic 42" plasma. Love that tv. Awesome picture. Changing that to a 55" in September.  If you look really carefully, stare at the television, you will see a reflection of me taking the photograph. Behind me you will see my cd collection covering the rear wall.  Stereo music is currently enjoyed through a Bryston BDP-1 and BDA-1. There are 3 2TB external hard drives of music there above the BDP-1, which are plugged into a usb hub, which is then plugged into the rear of the BDP-1. Doing a comparision between the BDP-1 & BDA-1 combo against a BCD-1 & BDA-1 combo on Friday, as I am looking for a new cd transport. For video playback I also use a Mede8er media player, with a NAS storage unit holding 4 hard drives behind the cabinet.             

In a nutshell thats my room

Show me yours  !!

Nice setup.  I'm sure the pairing of Anthem with Paradigm, is great.  You mention you had a 4B and compared it to your P2 - just what 4B model was that and what did you perceive as the strength of the P2 over the 4B??

What size is your room (LXWXH) and what if any room treatments have you got going?

Be sure to share your impressions of the BCD vs the BDP, here. 

Cheers.

ronman

« Reply #1077 on: 27 Jun 2012, 09:04 pm »
Hi SoundGame

Thank you

I had the 4B model that came out just before the SSt edition. The P2 has greater control and better bass definition, it's a lot "ballsier". Sorry. Couldn't think of any other word. Overall clarity and sound separation from the P2 is rather better than that model 4B (haven't compared it against the SST or SST2). I loved that 4B (it was my first power amp), but it sounded "flat" compared to the P2.

No special room treatments. Double lined curtaining, suede couch, heavy wooden cabinet and medium size coffee table. Wooden floors covered by thick weave carpet and heavy underfelt.  The ADP's are mounted 38cm off the ceiling and are positioned in the rear corners of the room. The front of the S8's are positioned 1.2m off the front wall (cant remember the sidewall measurements). The tv is mounted on a custom stand so it stands behind and above the cabinet. It was especially made so the tv stands a bit higher than the C3 center speaker, and setup so that the tv screen has a very slight downward tilt. The C3 has the front baffle plate sitting 9cm over the front edge of the cabinet. The cabinet is centered and rear of the cabinet is 40cm off the front wall. Cd rack is 3m wide by 2m high. 2 large framed pictures on the right hand wall, 1 large framed picture on the left hand wall.  All cables are mounted within the brick wall via trunking or conduit. 

I had a slight upper bass bump, which the Anthem Room Correction addressed and cleaned up. 

Room dimensions are...........just a sec...........grabbing tape measure to measure the room. Back in a moment

Ok. Room is 3.7m wide, 5.6m long, and 2.8m high. 

Certainly. Will keep you informed. Been battling to find comparisons between those components on the net. Luckily a local hifi retailer has a BCD-1 in. A customer bought it very recently but it has a faulty cd tray (the cd tray opens and closes randomly) (I hear Bryston is not going to make cd players any more - lack of transports or cd trays). So we will use that, or the customers replacement cd player to compare the BCD-1 and against my BDP-1. Only thing is my BDP-1 and BDA-1 have upgraded fuses (actually every component has them - those that take fuses that is), so I must have those taken out when comparing the BCD-1 to level the playing field. 

rmurray

« Reply #1078 on: 27 Jun 2012, 09:55 pm »
 I presume you mean the 4B ST. What is the price on the Anthem compared to the 4B SSt sq.? :scratch:

SoundGame

« Reply #1079 on: 27 Jun 2012, 11:19 pm »
I presume you mean the 4B ST. What is the price on the Anthem compared to the 4B SSt sq.? :scratch:

In Canada, the 4B-SST2 is about $400 more than the P2 - but the 4B-SST2 is a significantly different sounding amp than the 4B-ST, with more power, definition and sophistication.