Anyone using the Antique Sound Labs AQ-1003 DT?

frankv

« on: 29 Mar 2005, 07:44 am »
I have been offered a  good deal on an ASL AQ1003 DT (older version without the remote) but I may not have the chance to try it out.  I can probably sell it again without losing much money (if any) but it's still a hassle.  Can anyone tell me whether this amp will drive the De Capos adequately, and how it sounds?

Thank you,
Frank

toobluvr

30wpc should be fine
« Reply #1 on: 29 Mar 2005, 06:55 pm »
I can't comment on the sound of that specific pairing, but you should have enough juice.   The de Capos are very easy to drive.....even more efficient  than their specs indicate.  

I use ASL 845 monos (AQ 1006 DT) on my de Capo i.  These are only 22wpc and there is plenty of headroom.  In terms of sound, it is a synergistic pairing.  

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that Divergent has paired de Capos + AQ 1006DT at shows.   This certainly indicates that they feel it is enough power, and a good match.

If in doubt why not call Divergent?  
They sell both Ref 3A and ASL, so I'm sure they'll have some insights.

thayerg

« Reply #2 on: 29 Mar 2005, 07:44 pm »
i bought this amp two years ago, re-tubed it and installed cooling fins on the tubes. It gets used every day for FM and high bitrate mp3s.

I thint it's nonsense to claim any one amp blows away the competition, amps five times the price etc. This particular one's virtues are that it is easy to listen to all day, has a nice detailed midrange, and a generally punchy and dynamic sound. It also has a preamp out (labelled 'subwoofer') and the convenience of the built-in bias meter should not be underestimated.

NotoriousBIG_PJ

« Reply #3 on: 29 Mar 2005, 10:22 pm »
I use a modified one for my headphones. Sounds incredable. :)

Biggie.

Audiopro

• Industry Participant
    • DTS Audio Electronics
« Reply #4 on: 30 Mar 2005, 01:18 pm »
The AQ1003 is one of ASL's more reliable amps. Some of the other assessments on sound are dead on. Very good midrange. Depending on the size of the room it should be no problem driving your speakers.
  If it's got a lot of hours on it should be checked over, and maybe get some some new tubes, if budget allows.
  I do a significant amount of repair work for Divergent, if your interested contact me directly.