Reference 3A DeCappo vs. Dulcet

CMM

« on: 15 Sep 2004, 02:29 pm »
Has anyone been able to compare the Reference 3A DeCappo with the Dulcet?  If so I am very interested in your thoughts.  I currently own the Dulcets and am using an Audiomat Arpege, Vecteur L4, and Analysis Plus cables.  I enjoy the Dulcets so much that it has me thinking of upgrading to the DeCappo.  My basement room is quite large at 14 x 30 and I am thinking the DeCappo's would work better.

mcrespo71

« Reply #1 on: 15 Sep 2004, 04:38 pm »
I've heard them both.  The dulcets have the family sound, but it sounded a bit too ragged to me on top, while the MMDCI was far more refined and had better extension.  I also heard the Royal Virtuoso, which was more transparent and refined than both, but I thought it wasn't improved enough to warrant the price increase over the MMDCI, though that's totally relative given how much people will pay for minimal increases in performance with other ancillaries (i.e., wire).  I'd say the MMDCI is the sweet spot in the line.  It's a definite step up from the Dulcet- a bigger step up IMO than the RV is to the MMDCI.

Michael

davejcb

« Reply #2 on: 16 Sep 2004, 04:17 am »
Didn't the Royal Virtuoso have superior low-end extension and control than the Capo i?

mcrespo71

« Reply #3 on: 16 Sep 2004, 04:33 am »
Yes, I would say it did, but we weren't listening to the most bass heavy tracks when I heard the RV.  It's a great speaker- don't get me wrong- it's just I don't think it packs as much performance into 4K as the MMDCI does into 2.5K.  Nonetheless, it is a better speaker all around.

Michael

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.reddragonaudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 16 Sep 2004, 08:38 pm »
hey all,

I listened to the Dulcets and RV's at this year's CES and I own the DC's.

I think the Dulcets are a bit warmer sounding because of their slight boost in the upper bass but I found it enticing.  The one thing I really liked about the Dulcet's performance was their ability to just dissappear in the room...even more so than my DC's.  Of course a 4" woofer is going to do that with such a small enclosure.

I did not find the Dulcets to be harsh up top like Michael but I do find they don't have the dynamic capabilities of their bigger brothers either.  When I pushed them hard with big orchestral or rock music (TOOL) they did have their limits...but I think that might be something you could get around with a high pass crossover and a nice pair of subs.

Personally I couldn't get over their cute little size.  I love their red finish and the bass that a 4" driver like that was producing was amazing.

I think you will find the DC's are a bit more balanced and certainly offer more in the way of dynamics.  If you can, try and listen to both in your own room and pick whichever you like.

I wouldn't mind ownig both of them. :wink:

mcrespo71

« Reply #5 on: 17 Sep 2004, 01:36 am »
I did not find the Dulcets to be harsh up top like Michael but I do find they don't have the dynamic capabilities of their bigger brothers either. When I pushed them hard with big orchestral or rock music (TOOL) they did have their limits...but I think that might be something you could get around with a high pass crossover and a nice pair of subs.

Yeah, perhaps I should have chosen my wording better.  Within their limits, they were not bright, but man if you push them, they could get in your face very fast- hence, the ragged top end I mentioned.  I heard them get unbearable on Getz/Gilberto, which was surprising to me given how well this is recorded.  Otherwise, I thought they were good.  Heavystarch brings up a good point about the sub.

Michael

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 17 Sep 2004, 02:58 am »
Hey Micheal,

That makes total sense to me.  I agree they got pretty nasty when pushed too hard.  Odd that it would happen with getz/gilberto...maybe you just rock harder than me.. :lol:   I had to put TOOL/Mahler on to get that nasty. :o

davejcb

« Reply #7 on: 17 Sep 2004, 04:31 am »
Speaking of Tool, isn't it depressing how such a great band can have recordings that sound like complete ASS? I haven't even bothered to listen to them on my new system yet. What the hell, I'll go try it now. I heard Lateralus and Aenema on my friend's Acoustat system, talk about condensed, complete lack of soundstage...

:evil:

EDIT - Yep, it sounds like crap here too...  :roll:

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 17 Sep 2004, 04:48 am »
I don't think Maynard is an "audiophile"...too bad b/c they are truly one of the best out there.  I think lateralus is the best recording quality of TOOL...especially if you have player that decodes HDCD (it's an HDCD!)

Now maynard's 'feminine' project, a perfect circle, is a little bit better in the way of recording quality but still not what we'd call audiophile recording.
                                                   :evil:

Roberto

« Reply #9 on: 17 Sep 2004, 05:24 am »
Hi CMM,
     As a dealer for the Reference 3A line I feel obligated to give you my two cents.  I too use the Audiomat Arpege (Reference) integrated amp as one of my demo amps.  I tried both the Dulcets and De Capo-i on this amp and they are both killer combos.  Both provide a very organic soundstage with gorgeous midrange detail.  The De Capo-i, however, provide a slightly more exciting synergy with the Arpege.  In addition to those sacred audiophile qualities I've just mentioned, the presentation is also very punchy, quick and agile when the De Capos are being driven by this 30 watter.  Just as important is that feeling of immediacy which the De Capos give like no other speaker I've auditioned (there's been some debate as to whether this is due to the slight bump around 600 hz - maybe so but I love it regardless of what it is  : )  Also the bottom end has greater impact and weight through the De Capos, we're talking about a relatively larger woofer that can reach a little deeper and create a greater stir (although the Dulcets are no slouch).  These 3 additional characteristics (greater punch, immediacy and bass weight) will probably serve your 14 x 30 foot room very well, that is a lot of acoustic space to fill.  The Dulcets are a real gem as they have all of these qualities but the De Capos possess them in slightly larger amounts.  You pay a little more but you get a little more.  At both of their respective price points and beyond I can honestly say I have NOT heard their equals.  You'll enjoy whichever one you choose.  Just remember that Reference 3A speakers require some decent break-in.  Feed them well (good source and electronics) and they'll give you a generation of beautiful music. :D
Robert from Audioeden.

CMM

« Reply #10 on: 18 Sep 2004, 02:25 pm »
Thanks to everyone for their responses.  I am going to be looking to upgrade to the DeCappo.  Without a local dealer I will need to purchase without listening.  However, with the Dulcet I have a pretty good idea of what I will be getting in the DeCappo's.
CMM