Dynamo Power supply for Off-Ramp and Synchro-Mesh - now available

audioengr

This is the new Hynes-based power supply that everyone has been waiting for.  This improves the performance of both Of-Ramp 5 and Synchro-Mesh significantly.  $699.00 plus shipping.  Dynamo can be purchased on the Off-Ramp or Synchro-Mesh pages of the website using the pull-down menu. 

Here are some photos:

« Last Edit: 30 Oct 2013, 11:25 pm by audioengr »

Karl91

Re: Dynamo Power supply for Off-Ramp and Synchro-Mesh
« Reply #1 on: 9 Oct 2013, 11:19 pm »
Steve,
Can you explain the difference between Hynes supply and the one your mod has?

Josh

audioengr

« Reply #2 on: 10 Oct 2013, 05:34 pm »
Steve,
Can you explain the difference between Hynes supply and the one your mod has?

Josh

This uses a slightly larger transformer and the parts are optimized for best performance with Off-Ramp and Synchro-Mesh, including the internal and external wiring/cable. 

It can also easily be changed from 120 to 240VAC by the user.  If the customer later sells or moves to another country this is handy.

Steve N.

andrewd01

« Reply #3 on: 10 Oct 2013, 05:34 pm »
Steve, I see it is labelled as 125/250V. Does this mean it can take either voltage?

andrewd01

« Reply #4 on: 10 Oct 2013, 05:36 pm »
I see you just answered my question. Great to see you are thinking of the people who move countries. 

audioengr

« Reply #5 on: 10 Oct 2013, 05:36 pm »
Steve, I see it is labelled as 125/250V. Does this mean it can take either voltage?

Yes.

andrewd01

« Reply #6 on: 10 Oct 2013, 05:40 pm »
This might also be a good choice for my 2011 Mac Mini (modded for 12V DC power).  I know Paul Hynes recommends the SR5-12 but one person reported good results with SR3-12 on Pauls forum page.

What do you think Steve?

Watthead

« Reply #7 on: 10 Oct 2013, 06:25 pm »
Nice. Do we know the price ?

audioengr

« Reply #8 on: 11 Oct 2013, 03:37 pm »
This might also be a good choice for my 2011 Mac Mini (modded for 12V DC power).  I know Paul Hynes recommends the SR5-12 but one person reported good results with SR3-12 on Pauls forum page.

What do you think Steve?

Its marginal for that load.  I would get the SR5.  I have one coming that could be configured for 12V and shipped directly to you.  email me

Steve N.

audioengr

« Reply #9 on: 11 Oct 2013, 03:37 pm »
Nice. Do we know the price ?

$629.00

DaveBSC

« Reply #10 on: 12 Oct 2013, 12:51 am »
Lookin good Steve. Do you know yet if this puppy can do 5V?

liddown

« Reply #11 on: 12 Oct 2013, 04:15 pm »
Are these Hynes Regulator Modules you are waiting on?

audioengr

« Reply #12 on: 12 Oct 2013, 04:24 pm »
Are these Hynes Regulator Modules you are waiting on?

Yep, its a new type of module.

RSB

« Reply #13 on: 13 Oct 2013, 05:03 am »
Steve -

How big an improvement in SQ does this power supply make with the OR5?
Can you describe in what ways?  I think I'm going to be wanting one.

Randy

audioengr

« Reply #14 on: 24 Oct 2013, 12:22 am »
The Dynamo power supply is now available to order as an option on the Off-Ramp and Synchro-Mesh webpages.  It is $699.00 including the 1 foot cable.

Lead times right now are about 2 weeks.  It weighs 4 pounds and I have not figured out how to do the shipping for an option like this, so if you are ordering one by itself for an upgrade, please email me and I'll quote it with shipping.

Thanks,

Steve N.

ketcham

• Industry Participant
Steve,

Since the Offramp 6 will have your new chassis, similar to the Final Drive, will you also redesign the Dynamo Power Supply to match?  If you were not planning on this, obviously with a higher price point, would you be willing to make a custom chassis or a short production run?  By keeping my mate happy with room aesthetics, she is more understanding to my obsession with your products.   :o

Anyone running the Dynamo and Offramp into an Overdrive, I want to hear your impression....

Thanks.

audioengr

Steve,

Since the Offramp 6 will have your new chassis, similar to the Final Drive, will you also redesign the Dynamo Power Supply to match?  If you were not planning on this, obviously with a higher price point, would you be willing to make a custom chassis or a short production run?  By keeping my mate happy with room aesthetics, she is more understanding to my obsession with your products.   :o

Anyone running the Dynamo and Offramp into an Overdrive, I want to hear your impression....

Thanks.

When the OR6 is available, the Dynamo will be available with the new front panel and silver chassis.

Steve N.

ketcham

• Industry Participant
Stellar! 

Thank You, Steve.

I would love to hear about the details regarding your pre-amp based on transformers of your final drive.  Will they have balanced inputs and outputs, any options etc.  Would it be best to override the volume control of your Overdrive and use the the line output instead.  Having heard the benefits the Final Drive has to offer, this pre-amp will be a game changer.

audioengr

Stellar! 

Thank You, Steve.

I would love to hear about the details regarding your pre-amp based on transformers of your final drive.  Will they have balanced inputs and outputs, any options etc.  Would it be best to override the volume control of your Overdrive and use the the line output instead?

Actually, there is nothing to override in the Overdrive.  Nothing in the circuitry changes and nothing is added for the volume control.  It is unlike any other volume control technology.

The Overdrive and Final Drives will still be better than using the Overdrive and the new preamp that I am planning.  Nothing will beat this technology.  Anything else adds noise, distortion and compression.  It is unavoidable.

The goal behind the preamp is to provide an almost equally good preamp/isolation as the Overdrive/Final Drive combination for those that want to use a different DAC.

The planned preamp will have balanced and SE inputs and outputs.  It will be isolated on inputs and outputs and have an internal linear Hynes-type supply for each channel.  The two channels will be completely separate mono preamps, only sharing the AC inlet.

Steve N.

livengood1

« Reply #19 on: 28 Oct 2013, 11:11 pm »
It is $699.00 including the 1 foot cable.

I know this is a stupid question, but does the 1-foot cable length mean that the unit must be within one foot of an outlet?