Affordable amp options for Omega?

Canyoneagle

Affordable amp options for Omega?
« on: 30 Sep 2006, 02:39 am »
I'm looking for a "stopgap" until I commit to a RWA amp, so I can begin my Omega adventure................

There is a LDIII+ on the Head-fi classifieds for under $300, and I'd like to see if anyone has any experience with the Little Dot and Omegas.....

Also, how about the Jolida hybrid integrated amps?

Anyone?  Anyone,  Bueller?    aa

Michael
« Last Edit: 6 Oct 2006, 09:13 pm by Canyoneagle »

chadh

Re: Little Dot III+ and Omega?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Sep 2006, 03:08 am »

Is the little dot a real amp, or just a head amp?

Chad

TheSloth

« Reply #2 on: 30 Sep 2006, 03:45 am »

Is the little dot a real amp, or just a head amp?

Chad

Yep, puts out a bit over 3 watts I think. And 'head amp' ("headamp") is a manufacturer, not a thing (no offense, just a pet peeve!).

Canyoneagle

« Reply #3 on: 30 Sep 2006, 05:17 am »
Yep, it's got an automatic impedence matching format for headphones, and it will drive speakers off of its speaker terminals in back (3.5w).

Check it out:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=200846

I've been reading excellent things about the Little Dot products.

Michael

Louis O

« Reply #4 on: 5 Oct 2006, 01:08 am »
Hi Canyoneagle,

Try out the Big Joe. It's a funny name but pretty good and a great price.

http://www.sonicflare.com/archives/firestone-cute-big-joe-integrated-amplifier.php

Thanks again,
Louis

Canyoneagle

« Reply #5 on: 5 Oct 2006, 06:02 pm »
Thanks for the tip, Louis.
I've seen the Firestone headphone amps and have been curious about their products.  It seems that some of these "niche" Chinese audio shops are producing some great quality stuff for the money.

How do the Jolida hybrid integrated amps (tube pre, SS amp) work with your speakers?  There's a JD 1301 RC on Audiogon for just over $200, with 50 hours of use.  Looks like a great value.

BTW, Louis, I may be in your neck of the woods either in December or February, so I'll be in touch with you soon about setting up some demo time  :drool:

Thanks,
Michael

Louis O

Re: Affordable amp options for Omega?
« Reply #6 on: 6 Oct 2006, 11:19 pm »
Hi Canyoneagle,

Many thanks and the door is always open and it would be great to meet you in person.

I would stay away from the jolida hybrid and go for the 102B in there line up. Great for the money and EL-84s sound amazing.

Thanks again,
Louis

Canyoneagle

« Reply #7 on: 7 Oct 2006, 04:29 pm »
Thanks, Louis!
I'll let you know when I will be in the area.
I look forward to it!  :thumb:

Michael

crossroadazn

« Reply #8 on: 7 Oct 2006, 06:30 pm »
I bought this 15w EL84 int.amp from A'gon for $250 shipped and planning to purchase used Omega speakers to pair with it. Check out the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Aria-Mini-Hi-Fi-Valve-Tube-Amplifier_W0QQitemZ160038028063QQihZ006QQcategoryZ39783QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Canyoneagle

« Reply #9 on: 7 Oct 2006, 06:49 pm »
Interesting.....
I just added that very amp (and a couple of others from the same manufacturer) to my Ebay "watchlist".
They are made in China, as with so many of the new bang for the buck amps.  They appear to be very nicely made with good components.

Have you run the amp at all?  I'd be really curious to see how it pairs with Omegas.

There is a very nice array of Omegas on Audiogon right now, including a set of compact Hemps, some A8's with stands (excellent price), and 3R's.
I just recently got some XRS (although I was torn between those and the hemps and A8's for not much more).

Thanks for the amp tip and happy speaker picking!
warm regards,
Michael

Canyoneagle

« Reply #10 on: 7 Oct 2006, 08:50 pm »
How about a Super T amp as an interim (5-6 months) solution until I can get the RWA?
Michael

TheSloth

« Reply #11 on: 8 Oct 2006, 01:45 am »
How about a Super T amp as an interim (5-6 months) solution until I can get the RWA?
Michael

I used a Clari-T with the XRS briefly and it did a nice job, but that's more amp than a Super T. The tube amp linked above looks like yet another Electric Baby clone, whether that be a good or bad thing. The genuine Electric Baby does a good job with the XRS, so if this behaves anything like it, it could be a very good deal.

Canyoneagle

« Reply #12 on: 8 Oct 2006, 04:09 am »
Okay, everyone, here's another one.... :duh:

Would the Rega Brio integrated amp mate well with the XRS?  My thought is that Rega, Naim and Arcam would all do well due to their penchant for PRaT, warmth, etc.

.....or...... what about the Dared MP5, which can also feed my AKG K-701's and has a decent (apparently) DAC built in?  Audiolineout sells the US version (12AX7 tubes) for $330.

Any thoughts?
Thanks!
Michael
« Last Edit: 8 Oct 2006, 06:36 am by Canyoneagle »

Jampot

« Reply #13 on: 8 Oct 2006, 12:49 pm »
Micheal,

If you can run to $300 as a stop gap (pending a RWA Sig 30) how about putting Beatdownvictim out of his misery - buy his Bolder modded Teac. It will wayyy out class a Super T and should have a flavour of the Sig 30 (same chip).

BDV has bumped his thread in Trading Post just a few hours ago and is now open to offers.....

I have heard the Clari-T and stock Teac with stand mount Super 3s and the better bass control with the extra muscle was noticable - should be even more beneficial with the XRS and probably one of the reasons the Sig 30 / XRS combination is causing such a buzz.

Now, if only I could bring a set of XRS' to the UK without having to pay local tax and duty :roll:

I envy you the problem :green:

Jim

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #14 on: 8 Oct 2006, 01:58 pm »
I'd 2nd. Jampot's recommendation....I've used both a stock Teac and a Red Wine Teac with my Omega speakers....a very good matchup. 8)
Recently sold the stock Teac....didn't really need it, too much here already....and the new buyer has been enjoying it. So ....grab that deal from BDV....it will work out just fine.... :thumb:

TheSloth

« Reply #15 on: 8 Oct 2006, 02:45 pm »
Now, if only I could bring a set of XRS' to the UK without having to pay local tax and duty :roll:

If you are preapred to sacrifice insurance (a questionable move admittedly), you can always have a nominal value declared on the customs form. The UK customs office simply goes by what value is declared on the customs form, and automatically taxes according to that. If the form says $100 per speakers, that's what they'll go with.

Jampot

« Reply #16 on: 8 Oct 2006, 02:57 pm »
Chris,

The kids are moving to The Big Apple from DFW - probably before Christmas. Even if we make it to Texas for Thanksgiving, I think I enjoyed my last North Texas Audio Jam :cry:

Hope they may be close enough for us to muscle in on a 'Rave' or 3 :thumb:

Jim

Paul_Bui

• Rode NTK and S-1 microphones
« Reply #17 on: 8 Oct 2006, 03:04 pm »

I would stay away from the jolida hybrid and go for the 102B in there line up. Great for the money and EL-84s sound amazing.

I wholeheartedly agree with Louis.  Even a JD 302 amp would probably not satisfy you for a long time.  An RWA amp would be a much better choice.  If a Sig-30 is currently out of the budget, how about a Clari-T now, and a good tube preamp later?

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #18 on: 8 Oct 2006, 03:14 pm »
Chris,

The kids are moving to The Big Apple from DFW - probably before Christmas. Even if we make it to Texas for Thanksgiving, I think I enjoyed my last North Texas Audio Jam :cry:

Hope they may be close enough for us to muscle in on a 'Rave' or 3 :thumb:

Jim
Sure Jim....whenever your in NY, and there is a Rave....your always welcome (as well as anyone else).
Heck....even if there's no Rave....we have enough members spread out in NY, NJ, and CT....you can always hear something....throw some cd's in your suitcase..... :thumb:

Chris

Canyoneagle

« Reply #19 on: 8 Oct 2006, 05:40 pm »
My catch is that an amp like the TEAC would need some form of volume pot (to avoid accidentally killing my XRS with an input device set to max volume), which jacks the price another $150 at least (for a cheapie passive preamp).  Initially, this is why I'm trying to look at integrateds in this price range.
If I had any electronics DIY experience (which I don't) I'm sure I could fab up a simple, decent passive volume pot for pretty cheap - hell I could do it on a piece of wood.  Is this worth considering?  I'm a DIY'er in other areas (home improvement, woodworking, bicycle mechanics) - would this little "input-volume pot-output" project be a worthwhile effort?  :idea:

Since nobody's bitten on the Rega Brio or Dared MP5 queries, am I to assume those are not valid options?

Finally, I have an opportunity to get a modded basic (volume pot removed and new caps/connectors) Clari-T for a decent price  - similar to the modded TEAC (I wont mention names!).  Although it is beyond my original limit, I could probably swing the DIY volume pot job and have RWA driven Omegas.  aa

Hmmmmm, it sounds like I've just made up my mind.
Does this sound like a good way to go?

Thanks,
Michael