Omega B200 Aperiodic Production Model I

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« on: 3 Aug 2005, 04:39 pm »
Last week I pulled the trigger and ordered a pair of these bad boys. I found out that I was the first, and will be recieving the first production pair.
       I'm a cheap bastard and don't take a purchase like this lightly. I've been researching  a speaker purchase since '97 and finally found something which incorporates all the important attributes I've learned throughout the 35 years of this long and winding road of audio hobbyism. First, a huge tip of the hat and bravo to Dmason for his ongoing research into coaxial and extended range drivers. I share his enthusiasm for the coherence of point source presentation. His unrelenting diligence in searching out and testing the various offerings in this catagory cannot be ignored in the ongoing story thus far. His unqualified endorsement of the B200 had me thinking about an open baffle arrangement and how I'd get that done since I have no woodworking skills much less tools.
         Then along came King 'Louis the 21st' century speaker builder. The more I find out about him, the more I'm jazzed about getting these speakers in my humble abode. I looked at all the threads and reviews and could not find one negative or derogatory comment. In my two conversations with him I found a gentleman with passion, commitment,experience and the tools to complete a system based on the B200. I say system because Louis understands that you can't just throw a driver into the right sized box and expect it to perform to its highest capability. His understanding of the materials, construction technique, and synergy of cabinet and driver cannot be underestimated.  
       Have I mentioned that I'm a cheap bastard? I look for VALUE. I'm confident that I will recieve a product which will last a lot longer than the 10 year warrenty period and perform many times greater than what its purchase price suggests, and can sleep easy knowiing I'll have 30 days to confirm that.
       Barring unforseen circumstances, I'll have these no later than the middle of september.

powerbench

I second that...
« Reply #1 on: 3 Aug 2005, 05:52 pm »
Well I am not first ,maybe second to order a pair,I sent off my B200s to Louis to create me a set in red parisian.I too didnt do this on a whim but I have been looking at something a lil more than the Minis,more dynamic that the Fostex.,and sure its all subjective but hey i trust Louis (and Vinnie),his ears and skill.
I had been cutting out the baffles and had never quite finished everything and I said what they heck why not.i am looking for something which will be a more fuller compete multiuse speaker.

My most favorite speakers so far of ALL TIME  has to be the KEF 104.2s.I dont have oodles of money to burn but I too look for value.Few weeks after burn in Ill let ya all now.

konut

« Reply #2 on: 3 Aug 2005, 06:21 pm »
You'll get yours before I'll get mine then as Louis is waiting on the delivery from Visaton. Let us know what you think at first blush as well.

powerbench

« Reply #3 on: 3 Aug 2005, 07:09 pm »
I certainly will 8)

Dmason

« Reply #4 on: 4 Aug 2005, 02:50 am »
Thanks, Konut, it was my pleasure answering your queries. I appreciated your use of full sentences. :lol:

You asked about driver break in. My best answer to you would be that ten minutes after you plug the speakers in, break in will be the last thing on your mind. Wear a bib to soak up the drool that will otherwise pool all over the couch and floor. The B200 in anything is the biggest drool magnet in the Transducer Kingdom, it simply has to be heard to be understood.... Best to get your insulin checked as well, because once you connect the effect, the proceedings are Very Sweet. Hope this addresses your break in concerns.

And remember to write your impressions.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: I second that...
« Reply #5 on: 4 Aug 2005, 03:02 am »
Quote from: powerbench
Well I am not first ,maybe second to order a pair,I sent off my B200s to Louis to create me a set in red parisian.I too didnt do this on a whim but I have been looking at something a lil more than the Minis,more dynamic that the Fostex.,and sure its all subjective but hey i trust Louis (and Vinnie),his ears and skill.  ...

Hi powerbench,

You are going to be blown away by the B200s... there is NO comparison between them and the Mini MEs.  The Mini MEs are nice little speakers, but the B200 Aperiodics are in a completely different league.  Your Clari-T will really shine with the B200s... I can't wait to read your impressions!  :hyper:

Regards,

WilliamL

« Reply #6 on: 4 Aug 2005, 03:06 am »
I need to drag my butt up to Norwalk and hear these speakers. The Hemptones that Louis brought to the rave were AWESOME. They reminded me of Audio Physic Virgos...for a lot less $$$$.

I am very interested to hear any developments with these speakers in a floor standing model.

Cheers,
Bill

barkerpj

• PC -> Berkeley USB -> Berkeley DAC
Alcino's vs B200's
« Reply #7 on: 4 Aug 2005, 09:07 pm »
All this talk on the Visaton's. I have the Omega 3r's with the Fostex alcino driver and i'm wondering how this compares to the new speakers. Anyone heard both?

Louis O

« Reply #8 on: 6 Aug 2005, 05:15 pm »
Hi Konut,

Many thanks for your post and the many kinds words, I really appreciate it.

You’re the  #1 complete speaker and Power bench is the first with the cabinets.
Good news is the cabinets are done and just waiting for the drivers to come in. Looks like you will get them much earlier too.

Dmason is so right in regards to burn in. The B200s are in a league of their own. It had the right stuff in free air. I knew right off the bat that they are very special.

Hi Bill,

Door is always open and stop by anytime. Once I get the drivers in we can set it up. I’m really happy you liked the Hemps and they are very similar and also do a few things differently. The thing about the B200s is the speed of them and the Tone. Nothing like it. The hemps have a little more weight and do guitar amazingly well. They did start off as guitar speakers and the Tone Tubbies and my drivers are made side by side at the factory.

Hi barkerpj,

Totally different sound. More dynamics, low level resolution, speed and the Tone is amazing. Really easy to place in the room. Call me at the shop and I’ll explain much more.

Talk to you soon,
Louis

powerbench

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
« Reply #9 on: 6 Aug 2005, 05:39 pm »
thanks Louis ill call you this w/e.Mark

konut

« Reply #10 on: 23 Aug 2005, 04:14 pm »
Just got off the phone with Louis, and my B200s will ship tommorrow. Should have them by next tues. the 30th. Boy, am I PHYSCED!

tyee

« Reply #11 on: 25 Aug 2005, 10:15 pm »
My cabinets came in yesterday, and I finished installing the drivers and adding the mod and now they're ripping! Talk about lifting a veil off the music! Talk about dynamics too! Even at low levels! I can't stop listening to them. I want to play all my CDs through them in the next 5 minutes!

tyee[/b]

JiffyBoob

« Reply #12 on: 26 Aug 2005, 12:08 am »
May you dump the clutch in your Less=More Evolution :mrgreen:  

Inquiring minds wish to know. The impressions should start rolling in from this day on...

konut

« Reply #13 on: 26 Aug 2005, 12:37 am »
Rock on tyee! :guitar: Powerbench should be checking in any second now........

powerbench

B200s
« Reply #14 on: 28 Aug 2005, 01:41 am »
There was a little delay in Louis  getting mty drivers ,the news is they  are installed and being shipped out Monday in their Red Parisian cabinets,Louis says they ROCK!!!!Cant wait... :mrgreen:

konut

« Reply #15 on: 1 Sep 2005, 04:48 am »
I recieved the Aperiodic 8s today(the official name on Louis's website). At 9:00am I found out, per FedEx tracking website, that the FedEx truck had left for local delivery. After an anxious day the FedEx guy finally showed up at 4:20pm.    :roll:  As I helped the guy up the stairs with the box to my 2nd floor apt, I noticed a gash measuring 3"X4" extending an inch into the insulation. Hmmmm. Opening the box, I noticed the care with which they had been packed. An inspection of the grills revealed the detail that went into their construction. The individually bagged cabinets were gorgeous! I had chosen a black laminate finish and with the grills on looked quite handsome.
         Time for some listening. I hooked the 8s up to my Kenwood KMX1000 monoblocks with 39" of DNM speaker cable Louis was kind enough to include. Using a Pioneer DV578A run through a Creek OBH12 passive attenuator the cut I always start with is 'Giving Him Something He Can Feel'from En Vogue Funky Divas. This cut starts with a kick drum and then an electric bass. The kick should have a thump with no overhang or doubling, and I was not disappointed, but after 2 seconds one speaker stopped working. A check of connections revealed nothing amiss. I turned up the volume and the speaker kicked in again. I played half the cut and the speaker stopped again. After checking all connections again, nothing I tried would make it work. I called Louis to get a course of action. We decided that I should unscrew the mounting screws to check the connections internally. This gave me an excuse to see the inside of the cabinet.    :mrgreen:   The inside looked just as good as the outside. The connections seemed fine. I screwed the driver back on and hooked it up, still nothing. I switched amps, same result. I dismounted the driver again and hooked it up directly to the amp and no sound. Meanwhile the other speaker was sounding mighty fine! I called Louis again and gave him the bad news. I will send him the bad driver and he will send a replacement. He sounded more bummed than me! Obviously the gash on the box was evidence of a fall which must have shakens something loose. Shit happens.
       Back to listening in glorious one channel of stereo to 'From the Cradle', Eric Clapton. This is a live all digital recording and the detail is astounding . The vocals are so smooth and present. Each insturment is clearly discernable in the mix. This speaker is like a Zeiss lens in its resolution. I figure'Hey, I've only got one speaker, why NOT listen in mono!' I pull out the 1952 Arturo Tocsanini and the NBC Orchestra 'Beethovens Fifth'. I am intimately familiar with this recording as I listened to this on a 78 record, as a small boy growing up, on my father's console. What makes music so appealing, like an aroma from the past that you never forget, is an emotional attachment to a different place and time. I'm not ashamed to admit getting a little misty as I cranked this up and experienced the same chills at the meastro's interpretation of this piece. Needless to say I've never heard it better and even on this dated  recording  the Aperiodic 8 was able to resolve and convey the genious of Toscanini. Enough for now.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #16 on: 1 Sep 2005, 10:13 am »
konut,

Sucks when the new toy arrives broken.  That's why I picked up my Bob Brines FTA-2000's (they weigh about 90 pounds each and were the only ones in existence at the time).  It cost about $400 for a trailer hitch/rental fee and about 5 hours extra road time while on family vacation last summer.

Until you get the 2nd driver, enjoy a retro audio season with your "vintage" mono system.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #17 on: 1 Sep 2005, 11:31 am »
konut,

Sorry to hear about your damaged Aperiodic 8  :cry:

Your patience will be well worth it though, so hang in there buddy!

In the meantime, just using one Aperiodic 8 is just a cruel tease  :roll:

PS: Louis mentioned to me that he is planning to have the 1.5 way Aperiodic 8's and HempTones at RMAF!!!  This means separate cabinet below (stacked) that will have another speaker (B200 or HempTone, but firing in a different location), running in parallel, but only used for around 100Hz on down...nice!  What is very cool about this is that someone who already has the Hemptone or Aperiodic 8 can purchase the extra cabinet at anytime (modular design) for an easy upgrade.

I am VERY EXCITED about all this new stuff  :hyper:

powerbench

Likewise...
« Reply #18 on: 1 Sep 2005, 12:28 pm »
Sorry to hear about your misfortune...as  I am thinking my B200s Aperiodics are somewhere between here and Fedex-land of 'slippery fingers'.
I hate to say  what my reaction would be

:uzi:  :surrender: (of course Im kidding and yes I am a patient guy) but I dont  allow anyone else touch /move/dust/or EVEN put dolies on my audio equiptment :o .

Well I know Louis will bend over backwards to take care of you just like Vinnie :wink: and you will be once more in a new sonic bliss.

Dont worry about a few tears either 'real men are sensitive',we all shed a few tears when appropiate. :mrgreen: all i know i wont be the only one crying if Mr Fedex shows up with a 'boo-boo' on Louis work. LOL  :D

andrewbee

« Reply #19 on: 1 Sep 2005, 03:05 pm »
I also got a bum B200, from Solen. It worked for a minute or so then the VC opened. Not playing it loudly or anything. Got an RMA and returned it to Solen and am awaiting the replacement when they get stock in again. Solen was quite easy to deal with the warranty.
I only hope the other one continues to work fine as does the replacement when I get it.

I am however a bit concerned now with hearing of another VC failure. I wonder if maybe there is an issue. This is the first speaker I have ever had fail in over 30 years.
Andrew