How many of you are using your Omega's in a home theater set up?

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
Obviously we all know that our Omega's are amazing in a 2 channel music set up. But I am going to be converting my 2 channel set up into a 5.1 home theater system and trying to get the best of both worlds in one set up. And I was wondering if anyone else is doing this and how it has worked out for you? I am going to assume that if the Omega's are superior in a musical 2 channel set up then they should be superior in a home theater set up as well correct? My main left and right fronts are going to be HO Super3XRS's with the dual RS5 drivers. Center a version of the HO Super3XRS with dual RS5 drivers. And the surrounds, Super 3I monitors. I also have 2 deep Omega 8's. What do you guys think of this set up for home theater purposes? Will it be dynamic enough to handle soundtracks like Saving Private Ryan and so on?

milford3

HiFiJeff, your Omega's will just be fine in a 5.1 setup.  My rig is 5.2  Mains are my Hoyt Bedford Type 1's.  I run a SVS and a Rythmik for bass.  The Omega's are home with two channel or HT.  Enjoy.

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
I integrate them with good results.  I use a quality switch from DECWare to switch between my HT Pre/Pro and two channel preamp.  The same amps power the same speakers in either case. 

One difference from most HT setups, particularly where there is a pre/pro or AVR is that I do not use HT bass management.  I have a full range stereo signal going to the subs and control xover and level from their plate amps.

Nocturne79

hey I actually am doing that myself with my omegas i have louis builidng my center dual rs5 and my monitors i have are going to be my l/r and then most likely going to add one rythmik lvx12 subwoofer.  Very excited.  I have not done much movies other than guardians of the galaxy and for me it have enough dynamics coming from the left and right all run thru the PS4--Marantz sr6008.

roscoe65

This is an interesting thought.

My HT rig uses a Marantz NR1606 Receiver with GR Researech XLS Encore mains and XCS center.  Surrounds are Audioengine P4's.  Subs are Parts Express for the moment, though I have the components to build some nice 8" sealed Peerless subs.  It is well-matched and satisfying for HT use and decent for music, but not the best in comparison with my two-channel equipment.  The HT is in the larger of my two home listening spaces:  my living room which is 15' x 22' with a cathedral ceiling.  By contrast, my listening room is about 11' x 12' x 8'.  While the listening room can be set up with sound quality in mind, it will remain a near-field, well treated environment.  The living room is open and lively with minimal room treatments.  I would still like to enjoy a high efficiency tube rig in larger space without taking over the living room with two completely independent stereo systems.

My Omega Super 3U's are 15" x 9" x 12.5", almost identical to the GR Research at 13.5" x 8.5" x 12".  I had originally planned on simply swapping the Omega's into the mains location and plugging them into a separate small tube system - not the most elegant solution.  But you've now gotten me thinking:  The Omega's could live in the front channels and a similar Omega center channel could be installed.  The center speaker should be more or less identical to the mains, but I would assume that it would lie on its side to fit and would likely be front-vented instead of rear-vented.  Since the receiver uses Audyssey equalization it will automatically balance levels among the speakers.

I'm thinking of taking a subwoofer approach somewhat similar to Peters.  I could use the main channel speaker input to stereo subwoofers.  By setting the HT receiver to "No Subwoofer" the bass information is sent to the mains.  There is a reason for this:

I can place a small tube system in the same rack as the HT rig.  A simple change of speaker cable takes the mains/subwoofers out of the HT rig and puts it into the tube rig.  When not connected to the mains the tube rig could serve as an independent headphone system.

Using mostly what I already own, it would look something like this:

HT Rig:

1.  Sources:       STB and XBox One S
2.  Receiver:      Marantz NR1606
3.  Mains:          Omega Super 3U (shared with two-channel system)
4.  Center:         Matching Omega (TBD)
5.  Surrounds:    Omega Super 3
6.  Subwoofers:  Sealed Peerless SLS 830667 with PE 250W amp (x2)

Two Channel Rig:

1.  Mac Mini
2.  Schiit Bifrost MB
3.  Schiit Saga
4.  Inspire KT-88 HO (SEP amp that can use just about any output pentode or tetrode)
5.  Omega Super 3U (shared with HT rig, along with Peerless subwoofers)

The only real inelegance of this arrangement is that I must swap the speaker cables going to the main speakers.  If anyone has an alternative approach I'm all ears.  I would prefer to avoid the preamp out function of the receiver since while it does good for what it is, it is not the most resolving piece of gear.

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
I guess not too many of you. LOL. But I just made a huge leap into the direction I want to take my system in. Picked up the new Oppo UDP-203 4Kplayer. Wow! What an amazing piece of equipment! I was using an older Denon DVD 955S before and what a difference the Oppo has made. Took my system to another level. I am using the dacs in the Oppo and going directly into my Decware amp. When I get my center and surrounds I will get two more amps that the Oppo's pre outs will go into as well. So I am basically going to use the Oppo as the pre-amp and let it do all the decoding itself. I also will get a Roku player and plug it into the HDMI input on the Oppo for Netflix, YouTube Spotify and so on. But well on my way to the system I am wanting. 

roscoe65

Your post has made me reconsider my HT direction.  My HT rig is in the living room and is shared by my SO.  There is a real need for to be operable by a non-hobbyist.  I also have concerns about running five channels of SE tube amps for the number of hours per week we watch video.  Somehow I don't see my GF turning on three or four tube amps every time she wants to watch a comedy.

However, given my circumstances and the assets I have available, I can certainly run five channels of Omega speakers in the HT rig in the living room, and with a simple cable switch run an almost completely separate systems for HT and two channel audio by simply switching speaker cables on the front main speakers from the HT receiver to the tube amp in the two channel rig.

I'm still toying with options for bass management.  I can simply use subs coupled with the mains like Peter's system or I can use the HT receiver's LFE channel.  Using Peter's method would allow better bass when doing strictly two channel (subs always in the system) while using the LFE channel would allow for better bass management and would also allow me to limit power to the Omega's from the receiver 50wpc output.  While I don't think I would overpower the Omega's (especially if they are in 1.5 configuration) it would eliminate a source of worry if my GF decides to crank up the volume on Slayer.

WC

Roscoe,

My SO wanted things to get simpler so others could use the TV to watch things. I simplified things so that I have the Receiver, roku, and xBox connected to the TV. The SO and kids are perfectly fine just using the xBox and the Roku through the TV for audio. When I want to play something on the speakers I turn on the receiver and switch to the TV input. I run an optical line from the TV to the receiver. My DVD-A and Bluray players run through the AV receiver since they are used infrequently and always in surround.

roscoe65

The complicating factor is that my SO is a HUGE music fan (she goes to at least 20 shows per year) and the HT rig would be her primary music system.  She enjoys and values the sound quality and likes a variety of music, though remains a diehard Heavy Metal fan.

The other factor is that I have a separate, smallish room for my dedicated rig that allows me to have an over complicated, intimidating system.

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
Roscoe,

My SO wanted things to get simpler so others could use the TV to watch things. I simplified things so that I have the Receiver, roku, and xBox connected to the TV. The SO and kids are perfectly fine just using the xBox and the Roku through the TV for audio. When I want to play something on the speakers I turn on the receiver and switch to the TV input. I run an optical line from the TV to the receiver. My DVD-A and Bluray players run through the AV receiver since they are used infrequently and always in surround.

I use a Harmony One remote which controls about everything.  Listen to music?  One button.  Watch netflix?  One button, etc.  Has been pretty much fool proof for my wife who wouldn't know how to use the system otherwise!

.....Peter

WC

I use a Harmony One remote which controls about everything.  Listen to music?  One button.  Watch netflix?  One button, etc.  Has been pretty much fool proof for my wife who wouldn't know how to use the system otherwise!

.....Peter

I have a Harmony remote. I set it up to do that. They just don't want to bother with the sound from the AV receiver.  :D

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
Roscoe,

Yeah. I have a similar set up. I have cable and my PS4 going into my TV via HDMI and then audio out through an optical cable to my pre-amp/Yamaha music streamer. So the wife can watch cable and Netflix, since Xfinity now has a Netflix app right through them, then when I want to turn the system on for cable and PS4 I can. But my wife primarily watches tv through the tv speakers. 

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
So this will eventually be my system.

Decware SE84 UFO-Front L & R
Decware SE84 UFO-Center Bridged
Something for the rear surrounds. Something inexpensive.

Oppo UDP 203 Blu-Ray/ SACD player
Basic AVR with pre-outs that decodes latest surround sound formats. Looking seriously at one of the Yamaha Aventages
PS4
Roku
Xfinity Cable

Front L & R Omega Super 3XRS HO Dual driver RS5's
Center Omega Super 3XRS HO Dual driver RS5
Surrounds Omega Super 3 Monitors
Mid Bass subs 70hz-150hz Omega Deep 8's
Subs-4 RSL Speedwoofer 10's

How I will hook everything up is Oppo to the 3 amps first set of inputs via RCA interconnect. HDMI to TV. Subwoofer pre-out to the 4 RSL subwoofers first set of inputs. The Omega Sub 8's via speaker level hook up. Use the Oppo for bass management and speakers settings and crossover the mains at 70, maybe 60hz. Have the Rokus plugged into the Oppo for Netflix, and other streaming services.

Have my PS4, Xfinity cable and any other source I get like an Xbox One S go HDMI into the AVR and HDMI from there out to the TV. Have the pre-outs from the AVR go into the second set of inputs on the Decwares, and have the sub pre-outs go into the second set of inputs on the RSL's.   

I know it seems complicated but it's actually really simple when all is said and done. So I can get the best of both worlds out of one set up. No switching out cables, nothing like that. Just switching between the Oppo and Yamaha.

What do you guys think about it? I talked to the guys from RSL and they said it's fine to plug in two separate sources to the line level in's on the subs. Shouldn't be an issue at all. Just make sure that both sourcces aren't turned on at the same time. That probably wouldn't be good.  :D

roscoe65

So this will eventually be my system.

Decware SE84 UFO-Front L & R
Decware SE84 UFO-Center Bridged
Something for the rear surrounds. Something inexpensive.

I would suggest a pair of PassDIY Amp Camp kits (5 wpc solid state).

Oppo UDP 203 Blu-Ray/ SACD player
Basic AVR with pre-outs that decodes latest surround sound formats. Looking seriously at one of the Yamaha Aventages
PS4
Roku
Xfinity Cable

Front L & R Omega Super 3XRS HO Dual driver RS5's
Center Omega Super 3XRS HO Dual driver RS5
Surrounds Omega Super 3 Monitors

I think the midbass modules are redundant with the Super 3 XRS 1.5's .  If it were me, I would look at one or two Rhythmik sealed 12" subs with the GR Research driver.  They can cross over as high as 180hz if you really want them to.  They can be connected either low level or speaker level.

How I will hook everything up is Oppo to the 3 amps first set of inputs via RCA interconnect. HDMI to TV. Subwoofer pre-out to the 4 RSL subwoofers first set of inputs. The Omega Sub 8's via speaker level hook up. Use the Oppo for bass management and speakers settings and crossover the mains at 70, maybe 60hz. Have the Rokus plugged into the Oppo for Netflix, and other streaming services.

Have my PS4, Xfinity cable and any other source I get like an Xbox One S go HDMI into the AVR and HDMI from there out to the TV. Have the pre-outs from the AVR go into the second set of inputs on the Decwares, and have the sub pre-outs go into the second set of inputs on the RSL's.   

I know it seems complicated but it's actually really simple when all is said and done. So I can get the best of both worlds out of one set up. No switching out cables, nothing like that. Just switching between the Oppo and Yamaha.

What do you guys think about it? I talked to the guys from RSL and they said it's fine to plug in two separate sources to the line level in's on the subs. Shouldn't be an issue at all. Just make sure that both sourcces aren't turned on at the same time. That probably wouldn't be good.  :D

You're looking to spend a lot of money on this.  I would look at a HT pre/processor rather than a HT receiver, or at least a HT receiver with multichannel pre outs, such as this one:  http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrxa2040bl/yamaha-rx-a2040-9.2-ch-x-140-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html.  Your system seems a little cobbled together.

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
Cobbled together? What do you mean? And the Yamaha 20 series is already high on my list

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
And yeah. I know it's going to be a lot of money.  One more Decware amp and the speakers will be the majority of the cash. The Yamaha avr's from a4less are not expensive at all. And what I might do is just move my current Supercharged 3XRS's to the rear for surrounds.  Or sell them.

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
Do you think I should run everything into a central hub like the Yamaha compared to separating things?

WC

Do you think I should run everything into a central hub like the Yamaha compared to separating things?

It depends on how important surround sound and movies is to you. Easiest way is to run everything into a central hub. I currently run all my sources into a Marantz SR-6005 receiver. I find that it works well for movies in surround, but is only just OK for music. So I built a pair of the Pass ACA amps and am looking to add a separate preamp for 2 channel music. Run all the music sources into the preamp and share the ACA amps with the receiver. When I get subs, I will share with music and movies. Currently I am running the amps off the Marantz's preamp outputs.

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
It depends on how important surround sound and movies is to you. Easiest way is to run everything into a central hub. I currently run all my sources into a Marantz SR-6005 receiver. I find that it works well for movies in surround, but is only just OK for music. So I built a pair of the Pass ACA amps and am looking to add a separate preamp for 2 channel music. Run all the music sources into the preamp and share the ACA amps with the receiver. When I get subs, I will share with music and movies. Currently I am running the amps off the Marantz's preamp outputs.

What you are doing is pretty similar to what I would be doing. Oppo as pre amp and avr as a pre-amp as well. Both the Oppo and the avr will share the amps as well as the subwoofers. In my opinion it's actually a great way and simple approach to enjoy both high quality 2 channel sound and surround sound for movies and so on.

roscoe65

I've increasingly found the sound quality of my HT rig to be important.  The television and movie industry has experienced a significant shift in the past few years wherein the primary focus of the industry has shifted from movies to television.  New video series (from traditional networks, cable networks and others including Amazon, Netflix and Hulu) now enjoy better production values, higher profile actors, better actors, and importantly to me better soundtracks, all streamed in 4K and 5.1 sound.  I've been discovering new music that way.  Added to this is that my GF has a lot of concert DVD's she likes to watch in which sound is important.  Additionally, I am  Tidal subscriber and an increasing amount of their content is video.

With more soundtracks specifically mixed for 5.1 a high quality HT system becomes more valuable, especially a high quality center channel.  Using a two-channel rig for HT means we are deriving a center channel and the volume necessary to hear dialogue often means effects are blowing me out of the room.

It sounds like we are on similar paths:  if I understand you correctly your intention is to manually switch the amps from the Marantz to the new preamp when you wish to listen to 2 channel audio.  The amps and speakers will always be used for front channels.

My approach is solidifying into:  5 channels of Omega speakers connected to the 50wpc speaker outputs with one or two subwoofers connected to the LFE channel of the Marantz NR1606.  Sources connected to the AVR includes the STB, OBox One S, Chromecast and Roku, all via HDMI.  A two-channel system will be in the same rack and include digital sources and tube amplification but no speakers.  I would simply switch the front channel speaker cables from the AVR to the tube amp at the speakers themselves.  This should be a 30 second process.