Decware zen ufo or Rachel with omega 3xrs speakers

Brianportugal

I have omega3xrs with primaluna prologue 2 (kt120 tubes) n a 11x10 room playing tidal through a benchmark dac1pre. Speaker cAble  is blue jean and audio quest forest interconnects.Which decware integrated do you think will sound more magical? The system sounds great but I have heard so many fantastic comments about the synergy of decware and omega. I'm wondering if it's worth changing and which amp would be better. I listen to female vocalists jazz, pop , acoustic guitar and non complicated music .

Comments on all aspects of the system are also appreciated

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Decware zen ufo or Rachel with omega 3xrs speakers
« Reply #1 on: 7 Aug 2015, 06:03 pm »
Tried EL34, KT77, KT88, KT120, and 6550 in my Prima Luna Dialogue Premium Integrated.  The KT120 came with the amp, the rest I bought new as cryogenically treated.  The KT120 was by far my least favorite (sounded very close to my solid state gear).  The EL34 was the warmest, but my favorite for detail, palpability, and soundstage without bloated bass or excessive warmth (system dependent) was the 6550 with the KT77 being a close 2nd.  Suggest you try different tubes.  From what I know of the 3xrs I'd try EL34's first.

Note too that Benchmark DAC's are known for being well respected build quality but also for a more analytical (less musical) sound that is needed for studio work.

Wish your room was less square (bound to have lots of echo around 100 Hz at those dimensions).

Brianportugal

« Reply #2 on: 7 Aug 2015, 06:21 pm »
Thank you JLM. I have 6550s and really like them. I forget whose they are. What Dac do you suggest? I like buying used although I purchased my speakers new and love them. The Benchmark and Primaluna Prologue 2 were all purchased used. I've also tried Exposure 2010S2 which was the best of the equipment solid state but to me the Primaluna really was far better.

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #3 on: 7 Aug 2015, 06:30 pm »
Tried EL34, KT77, KT88, KT120, and 6550 in my Prima Luna Dialogue Premium Integrated.  The KT120 came with the amp, the rest I bought new as cryogenically treated.  The KT120 was by far my least favorite (sounded very close to my solid state gear).  The EL34 was the warmest, but my favorite for detail, palpability, and soundstage without bloated bass or excessive warmth (system dependent) was the 6550 with the KT77 being a close 2nd.  Suggest you try different tubes.  From what I know of the 3xrs I'd try EL34's first.

JLM - which 6550 do you like?  I have GEC KT-77's that are my current favorite.  I've tried =C=, TS "reissues", TS three hole, and TS gray solid plate 6650's but still prefer the KT-77's. 

I agree about the KT-120's.  Dennis Had has said that the KT-120 breaks up poorly with most of the other pentodes doing so more harmonically.

Brianportugal

« Reply #4 on: 7 Aug 2015, 06:57 pm »
I have to look at them but I remeber SED is on the box and they are winged. The previous owner evedently spent a good deal of money on upgraded tubes incuing some airforce tubes that are now $120 from 1961. I'll look at home.
Brian

pstrisik

« Reply #5 on: 7 Aug 2015, 07:20 pm »
I have to look at them but I remeber SED is on the box and they are winged. The previous owner evedently spent a good deal of money on upgraded tubes incuing some airforce tubes that are now $120 from 1961. I'll look at home.
Brian

Brian,

Those are commonly known as "Winged C" 6550's (=C= logo).  Considered good ones.  They were current production until recently.  They were made in St. Petersburg Russia.  SED was a subsidiary of Svetlana.

........Peter

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #6 on: 7 Aug 2015, 07:49 pm »
You really can't compare tubes as used in the Primaluna vs the Inspire amp, the results won't match up. A design like the Primaluna will probably sound best with KT-88/6550 type tubes where the Inspire is likely to sound best with EL34, 6L6 or KT77 type tubes, just as a generality...

Brian, I'd look at the ifi Micro DSD or the Sony HAP-Z1ES depending on budget. The Sony is pricey but not if you consider that a server, USB cable, etc is not required and I don't think another DAC under $5kish can touch it.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #7 on: 7 Aug 2015, 11:57 pm »
No longer in the tube business, sold the Prima Luna with all the tubes about 5 months ago, so don't know what model the 6550's were.

With technology changing so fast it's hard for me to "over invest" in DAC's.  Audiostream.com has a lot of recent reviews of a wide price range of DAC's and could be the best place to start.  Schiit BiFrost is a pretty safe bet (upgradable, reasonably priced, well reviewed).  The hifi Micro DSD is about as future proof as possible, lots of features, and also well reviewed.  Like the Emotiva DC-1 it's $500 and includes pre/headphone amp functions, while the DC-1 has more connections and a remote but lacks DSD.

Note that many DAC's just 3 years old are dismissed as being out of date and no longer price competitive.  OTOH note that some of the current high-end formats (DSD and DXD) stink like SACD, DVDa, HDCD, Quadraphonic, and other formats from years ago and may not ever become viable.  Also note that nearly all DSD and DXD recordings come from PCM masters as their signals cannot be manipulated (mixed) after recording, thus limiting their usefulness.
« Last Edit: 8 Aug 2015, 11:42 am by JLM »

pstrisik

« Reply #8 on: 8 Aug 2015, 12:52 am »
You really can't compare tubes as used in the Primaluna vs the Inspire amp, the results won't match up. A design like the Primaluna will probably sound best with KT-88/6550 type tubes where the Inspire is likely to sound best with EL34, 6L6 or KT77 type tubes, just as a generality...

Brian, I'd look at the ifi Micro DSD or the Sony HAP-Z1ES depending on budget. The Sony is pricey but not if you consider that a server, USB cable, etc is not required and I don't think another DAC under $5kish can touch it.

You're right and illustrate it well Dave.  It's one of those audio things that I overlook, mostly on purpose, when gathering info.  Still helps to point the direction of what to try for myself.  BTW, KT77 is right on with the Inspire for me after trying lots of tube types.

.........Peter

Brianportugal

« Reply #9 on: 8 Aug 2015, 01:20 am »
Thanks everyone but which decware would be most magical with the omega 3xrs ? The Rachel with new transformer or the zen ufo with the new transformer? Or is the wattage more important/more of a benefit?

RDavidson

« Reply #10 on: 8 Aug 2015, 01:58 am »
The wattage should be taken into consideration with the types of music you listen to, how loud you like to listen, your room size, and listening distance.

kmcelyea

« Reply #11 on: 8 Aug 2015, 03:21 am »
Hi from Oklahoma,
If you every find yourself in the area I more than willing to let you here my Alnico Monitors with my Decware "Rachel" amp (6watts per)(also have a Zen Select). But my new amp the Decware TORII Jr will be here shortly (on the test bench as we speak).

Good luck in your pre-leap, but will add on last thought just buy the best pair your budget will allow and space will allow. YOU WILL NOT BE SORRY OR WILL YOU RETURN THEM! They are that good!  :thumb:

Kevin

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #12 on: 8 Aug 2015, 03:27 am »
I hear you on the DAC JLM, but the fact is you're buying an audio amplifier and analog filter on the output of the DAC too, and if that's not up to par it'll really hold your system back. I went from a Bifrost Uber to the Sony and it's a night and day difference in all respects. In an otherwise very good system the Bifrost imposes a huge limitation on your final results in many ways. The Bifrost sounds harsh, analytical and closed-in compared to the Sony and an Auralic Vega I tried out. Also, I'd put my money on ifi for the best budget DAC right now.

Value for the money is getting better over time but I can't see more formats being introduced anytime soon. I think a DSD capable DAC will be fine for the long term. You may get a better or cheaper DAC if you wait for the new model to come out but that'll always be the case.

dspringham

« Reply #13 on: 8 Aug 2015, 03:57 am »
"Bifrost sounds harsh, analytical and closed-in compared to the Sony and an Auralic Vega I tried out."

Hey Dave, care to share your thoughts on a Sony/Vega comparison?

Thanks

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 8 Aug 2015, 05:27 am »
When running flea powered amps like the Decware Zen, make sure your source has at least 2VRMS output, or you may find you don't have the gain to get sufficient volume or dynamics.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 8 Aug 2015, 05:35 am »
Which decware integrated do you think will sound more magical?

Hi Brian,

Page 3 of this thread will give some insight as to the performance of the 2 watt Zen amp vs other Decwares.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=130411.40