Local shop to sell equipment to?

aspeters1

Local shop to sell equipment to?
« on: 8 Apr 2009, 10:26 pm »
Hi friends,

I just joined today as I'm in search of a shop or individual in the DC area interested in some audiophile equipment. I inherited some items from an uncle a few years back, and would like to avoid the hassles of eBay and associated shipping. (Unfortunately my own setup is mostly digital but I'm making use of his great ACI speakers). Here are some of the items I have (and will test before selling):

VPI TNT Junior turntable w/ SME tonearm (300 series?)
Threshold SA/3 Amp
Audio Research SP9 Preamp
Phase Linear 4000 Preamp
Adcom CD Player
Some turntable accessories (Nitty Gritty, Bright Star Big Rock, acrylic cover, a wooden brick w VPI on it
SOTA "Panorama" speakers

Please reply if you know someone/place who may be interested. Thanks,
Andy

pas

Re: Local shop to sell equipment to?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Apr 2009, 11:19 pm »
I strongly suggest you rethink your position.  That’s some first class equipment you’ve been left with.  If I had the scratch I’d love to take it off your hands.  Do a search on Audiogon for the turntable & SP9 at a minimum.  Try the components in your system, you may be pleasantly surprised.  Just because they’re old does NOT mean that they don’t reproduce the music faithfully.
Good luck!

Scottdazzle

« Reply #2 on: 11 Apr 2009, 04:02 pm »
Andy,

If you love music, keep that system!  It will give you great listening pleasure.  Whoever left it to you knew what he was doing.  I say this under the assumption that you don't have something better already.

Scott

wje

« Reply #3 on: 18 Apr 2009, 02:04 pm »
I strongly suggest you rethink your position.
I completely agree - but for other reasons, too.  Especially, is this economic climate.  Selling audio gear is just plain brutal. 

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #4 on: 28 Nov 2010, 02:57 am »
Do you still have these items???

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 28 Nov 2010, 03:47 am »
You could sell locally on places like Audiogon or here.  Some audio shops do take trade-ins.  There probably are not tons that will just buy stuff, unless you practically give it to them.  I owned most of the Phase Linear stuff many moons ago.  Not sure which Adcom CD player you have.  The GCD-575 (? - can't remember the model this second) was the first good CD player I bought. 

We also had our first annual Capital Audiofest this past June.  There are posts on the Mid-Atlantic circle.  They did have a swap/sell meet the last day and I'd expect they will have it again.

As noted by others, I'd expect you are in for a shock selling things.  It is a pain.  I don't sell as many things as I used to for that reason.  I have a main system and secondary systems in the basement and bedroom.  I do buy new things and try when possible to rotate it to a secondary system.  When that doesn't work I sell it.  In one instance, I had a friend who used to work at a high end shop list speakers for me.  I just didn't want to deal with the nonsense of selling and they were expensive and he sold them and dealt with all of it.