NuPrime Raspberry Pi Server and DAC with volume control

rajacat

• Washington State
Re: NuPrime Raspberry Pi Server and DAC with volume control
« Reply #20 on: 17 Jun 2016, 12:18 am »
I guess it makes good marketing sense to include a DAC, but I (and many other audiophiles) already have a DAC, so I personally would prefer to see it without an internal DAC. I like the idea of an internal HD or SSD (even better!).

While your engineers are building this, I hope they experiment with different power supplies. I've read that a better PS can really make a difference in SQ. Perhaps, in the end, a choice of good, better, and OMG, this is amazing! power supplies could be offered at different price points.
+1

I'd prefer it without a DAC to keep the price down. I would rather spend the money on the latest DAC or one that might have a different presentation. Also, it's interesting to rotate DACs. Alternatively you could bypass the internal DAC, like my Bolder SB3 or simply offer it as an option.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #21 on: 17 Jun 2016, 01:55 am »
There's an economy of scale that kicks in though guys. Say all we want is the coax output. While they *could* design and set up assembly for a whole separate board that does only that, those two steps have a lot of investment cost involved. The uDSD board already does what we want plus more; yes you pay a little extra for feature that you *might* not use (but lots of people probably will), but now you bypass the additional design/setup/assembly/parts/storage costs which might conceivably make the overall cost lower than creating a new standalone board.

Davezp25

« Reply #22 on: 19 Jun 2016, 03:47 am »
I'm onboard with this idea.

rustydoglim

« Reply #23 on: 19 Jun 2016, 01:27 pm »
Is it mostly a space-saving issue to go with an external power supply? All other NuPrime products have internal supplies and it'd be a shame to break that aesthetic.

Space saving - allow for other optional boards. Power supply is an ugly black thing and can be placed on the floor with other power strips so it won't break the aesthetic.

Flexibility - linear or switching, or DIY. DC input into the box.

Performance - extra power filter board and placing power supply outside of the case reduce noise.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #24 on: 19 Jun 2016, 07:32 pm »
Though I'm probably in the minority, one of my favourite products back in the Nuforce days was the LPS power supply that I used to feed both my Icon2 and HDP simultaneously. I think if NuPrime ever plans for other DC powered devices in the future, a well designed power supply in the same form factor to feed multiple components would be nice. Depends if there's a market for that though.

agdev01

« Reply #25 on: 28 Jun 2016, 09:20 pm »
The thing i really like about this is that it offers so much flexibility, outside of just audio.  When Silicon Dust releases their HDHomeRun DVR on Plex i could use ones of these boxes to replace my loud noisy HTPC in the livingroom.

Instead of Raspberry Pi board, we can also consider miniPC board.

Since you posted this thread i have been doing some random searching to see if i could find any alternative boards that might offer an alternative to the Pi.  I am going to buy a https://www.solid-run.com/product/hummingboard-carrier-pro/  It should match the dimensions of the original PI as well as it has an mSata connection that can connect to the HDD and a USB header that could send a singal to a uDSD board or the like.  Granted its more expensive than the Pi but offers all connection options out of the box.

Is it mostly a space-saving issue to go with an external power supply? All other NuPrime products have internal supplies and it'd be a shame to break that aesthetic.

One reason why i like the external supply is the flexibility for the DIY version as configurations and thus power needs can vary so greatly.

[/quote]I'd prefer it without a DAC to keep the price down. I would rather spend the money on the latest DAC or one that might have a different presentation. Also, it's interesting to rotate DACs. Alternatively you could bypass the internal DAC, like my Bolder SB3 or simply offer it as an option.[/quote]

my suggestion for the retail model a version with and without DAC would be good so users with a IDA-8/16 DAC-9/10 could buy the DAC less model and those without have an option for analog out.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #26 on: 28 Jun 2016, 09:39 pm »
I too have interest in this product. I would also prefer it without a DAC, they are changing way to fast to be stuck with just one and I like the idea of having more room for other boards.

I also think the power supply should be separate so people can choose the one they want or use the walwart that comes with it if providing one is in the plan.

downunder55

« Reply #27 on: 30 Jun 2016, 03:30 am »
Another good digital player software option to consider is RuneAudio, been playing/using this for a while now.

http://www.runeaudio.com/

A proactive developer, a good interface and could give a few other platform options as well as Pi.

downunder55

« Reply #28 on: 30 Jun 2016, 06:48 am »
Yes, we have to start somewhere.  So far, this is the requirement:
1. Basic platform - a case with external power supply. Power filter board is internal so external switching or linear power supply can be used.
   The case has mounting screws for Pi board, hard disk and uDSD DAC (asynchronous USB DAC with coaxial, line out and headphone outputs).  The bundled price of uDSD board will be much cheaper than a retail product.
2. A complexly configured system with Plex installed.

Sounds like a great couple of options here !

If NuPrime were to offer without DAC and Powersupply , what would they would really be supplying ...... a case  .... no real value add here :-(

The internal disk is a good option, but would probably find that larger collections would be from network storage.

A mini-PC board introduces all the Microsoft complications/overhead and well as complicates the user interface platform (iPad / iPhone) that is delivered through solutions such as RuneAudio etc.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #29 on: 30 Jun 2016, 10:27 am »
Hurry up already!  Aurelic has released the $1900 USD Altair (server/DAC/pre). 

Bemopti123

« Reply #30 on: 30 Jun 2016, 01:00 pm »
More than the rush to release this device, there needs to be extra care in order to make the entire GUI interface reliable.  I keep reading about all the glitches that those who run Aurelic wireless bridges face...while the sound might be good, there comes a time when frustrations seem to outweigh the benefits. IE:  all those missing files and disappearing folders, these sort of things in themselves might kill off great hardware.  Regardless, software needs to be robust. 

rustydoglim

« Reply #31 on: 1 Jul 2016, 10:49 am »
If NuPrime were to offer without DAC and Powersupply , what would they would really be supplying ...... a case  .... no real value add here
Our motivations are:
1. Customer service - users want to have a consistent look so paying extra $100 to $150 for a nice enclosure with connectors is a good value. Think about the time and expense to put together a DIY case and most people would rather just buy a nice case.
2. This is actually the start of our initiative to offer configurable products for customers.
Within the chassis, we have to provide a metal bracket with stand to mount the Pi board. Therefore this metal platform can be used to mount any other board. 
The back panel connector holes are cut by CNC machine, therefore it is possible to create panel for mini PC board, Android board, other whatever popular board that users request. 

We are working on 20 samples to be available in July.  I will provide update later next week.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #32 on: 1 Jul 2016, 11:10 am »
More than the rush to release this device, there needs to be extra care in order to make the entire GUI interface reliable.  I keep reading about all the glitches that those who run Aurelic wireless bridges face...while the sound might be good, there comes a time when frustrations seem to outweigh the benefits. IE:  all those missing files and disappearing folders, these sort of things in themselves might kill off great hardware.  Regardless, software needs to be robust.

+1

I gave up on Squeeze Box because of routine glitches.  Too bad, great design concept.

raindance

« Reply #33 on: 1 Jul 2016, 12:17 pm »
I've got a Pi2 and can't seem to get it to deliver high res music via USB without glitches.

It runs Kodi fine and plays video without issue.

I'd love some input as it shows promise.

Bemopti123

« Reply #34 on: 1 Jul 2016, 03:59 pm »
I've got a Pi2 and can't seem to get it to deliver high res music via USB without glitches.

It runs Kodi fine and plays video without issue.

I'd love some input as it shows promise.

While there are many variables, this sort of thing is what people are afraid off in hardware.  No OS is necessarily perfect but in terms of a music player, it needs to be NASA reliable or else it can simply make the hardware into just another has been audiobrick.  How many of these type of equipment people own? 

JohnR

« Reply #35 on: 1 Jul 2016, 04:23 pm »

Direct USB connection to the RPi can give variable results. I have a DAC that plays 384k and 2xDSD from an RPi2 with no problems (and sounds pretty good too). Others have been glitchy.

My take therefore is that allowing direct access to the RPi USB ports on a commercial device is asking for a support headache.

rustydoglim

« Reply #36 on: 1 Jul 2016, 08:21 pm »
R&D has the Pi 2 tested with uDSD (probably mDSD too). So that would be another reason to buy our optional USB DAC board.

rustydoglim

« Reply #37 on: 15 Jul 2016, 03:22 am »
Here's the retail pricing:

NuPrime RasPi chassis (with back panel and internal mounting brackets)  $229
uDSD board (volume control knob at the front panel)  $99
Power supply + filter board $59

Ok?  If a few of you say that you are going to buy at least the chassis and power supply, we will make 20 of them as a start.

agdev01

« Reply #38 on: 15 Jul 2016, 05:05 am »
I'm in for two cases + power filter.  For those without a udsd will it have the sta9 front, or just the knob with no control?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #39 on: 15 Jul 2016, 05:31 am »
Jason,

Thank you. I'll take one chassis plus power supply/filter board. I may add the uDSD board, but I must read up on it first. It's been many months since I read about it.